PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 ADL L/A upgrade suggestions

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 8:21 PM
Hello

I may be acquiring soon a Remington 700 ADL L/A (.30-06 Springfield) from my father.

It has some unknown scope on it (probably an inexpensive scope) but it should be pretty much all factory.

I don't know how old it is, probably purchased sometime during the 80s or 90s, and I don't even know if it's ever been fired.

I know that this series of Remington 700 is the alleged "AD gun" but I'm quite certain the trigger has never been toyed with (purchased new) and I have no intention of ever doing so. The trigger pull is short and light as is (although i may be no one to judge since i come from all semi-auto rifles).

What are some good upgrades for this rifle, that are relatively inexpensive but will improve the overall feel and "shootability" of it?

I plan on using it for shooting holes in paper, and that's pretty much it. Maybe if my wife ever lets me go hunting it would be useful, and of course in a SHTF situation it would be my hunting gun of choice after all supplies have been depleted. :D

I've seen some cool thumbhole stocks from Boyd's that look pretty comfy.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Bhobbs
12-18-2011, 9:02 PM
A new stock and new scope.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 9:03 PM
A new stock and new scope.

what's a decent scope for paper target shooting @ 100 yards that won't break my bank?

BDH
12-18-2011, 9:14 PM
Thumbhole stocks are ok, but not very versatile. You'll be better off seeing how it shoots, then make your decision. If all want to do is puncture holes in paper, wait until you see if you like a .30-06 punching you in the shoulder over and over. Then decide what kind of stock.
Bruce

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 9:16 PM
Thumbhole stocks are ok, but not very versatile. You'll be better off seeing how it shoots, then make your decision. If all want to do is puncture holes in paper, wait until you see if you like a .30-06 punching you in the shoulder over and over. Then decide what kind of stock.
Bruce

.30-06 is pretty expensive. I don't see myself shooting more than a box of 20 every trip (as i usually bring multiple guns with me to the range) @ $15+ per box.

Is .30-06 in a bolt gun pretty hard on the recoil?

X-NewYawker
12-18-2011, 9:20 PM
Thumbholes suck. Get a good internal aluminum bedding block stock from Bell & Carlson. Then have the trigger checked for safety. And then have fun. but stay away from those thumbhole stocks -- they actually f up your thumbs.

X-NewYawker
12-18-2011, 9:21 PM
And make sure your stock has a "live rubber: or elastomer pad, because 30'06 does kick.

Bhobbs
12-18-2011, 9:29 PM
what's a decent scope for paper target shooting @ 100 yards that won't break my bank?

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 and it works well for me. I don't remember how much I paid for it but it wasn't too expensive.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 9:32 PM
thanks for suggestions.

where's a good place to find inexpensive .30-06?

doesn't need to be hunting or match grade, just for target practice.

Bhobbs
12-18-2011, 9:34 PM
thanks for suggestions.

where's a good place to find inexpensive .30-06?

doesn't need to be hunting or match grade, just for target practice.

Mines the tactical version with the target turrets.

As for price, I load my own '06. American Eagle isn't too bad though and works well enough.

fdesalvo
12-19-2011, 1:54 PM
I don't consider myself recoil sensitive, but there are def more enjoyable target calibers out there haha. This post brought back memories of my bud's crazy bolt action goose gun. That and the '06 were two of the more punishing guns to shoulder without a pad.

Is .30-06 in a bolt gun pretty hard on the recoil?

PA_Hunter
12-19-2011, 8:50 PM
I'd leave the rifle "as is". If you're looking for a great scope that won't "break the bank" check out the Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40mm ($135-$150 if you shop around). The best scope for the money, my opinion. I own several and never had any problems plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Bhobbs
12-19-2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/273033/bushnell-elite-3200-tactical-rifle-scope-5-15x-40mm-adjustable-objective-mil-dot-reticle-matte

This is the scope I have on my Remington 700 .30-06. So far, I really like it.

Mossy Man
12-19-2011, 10:30 PM
i actually am not getting the 700 as i chose the old 03a3 (dad was offering me a choice)

i don't have an old ww1/2 era weapon so this is it!

thanks for the suggestions.