PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand rack grade

FatKatMatt
03-07-2007, 4:18 PM
The rack grades are the only Garands CMP has left, and I want to get at least one Garand before the sources all dry up. The only thing I am unsure of is the quality of the rifles. CMP itselfs says they vary from "poor to fair", and I've been hearing that some people have gotten really good rack grades that, apparently, are very comparable to a SG. One guy said the racker he got made his wartime Mosin look good :o

I am also wondering about the woodless Dane's; it ends up costing more to get one of these once you factor in a good stock and metal, but would I be better off getting this rather than getting a Greek return? I hope the serious Garand enthusiasts will chime in.

Thanks,
Matt

marksbb
03-07-2007, 5:05 PM
It really is luck of the draw. I have always been satisfied with my garands...7 in all.

Bought a Woodless Dane, had it rebarreled, reparked and a new stock put on. Total cost was around $750. Of course, The gun looks brand new, and it almost is.

Rackers are probably going to have bad wood(but not always) and the barrel is probably going to be shot out. So, you'll have to do all of the above anyway. At least with the Woodless danes, you're starting out $100 dollars cheaper.

You can take your chances and go for a Racker, you may get a really good one. That's part of the excitement when buying Garands through CMP.

Oh, and if you do go for the Woodless Dane , request one with lockbar sights, That alone, is worth about 100 bucks.

Good luck!

ask80
03-07-2007, 5:34 PM
is it better to buy one from the garandguy.. i think that's the website name

Premium Grade M1 $850
All parts have been gauged, including: Index, headspace, timing, throat, erosion, muzzle, straightness, firing pin protrusion, gas cylinder & piston. Barrels gauge a 2 or 3, with tight muzzles and bright, shiny bore. New Stock and hand guards. Stained Walnut Looks good and shoots great! You can buy cheaper, but not better. Comes with: Instruction manual, web sling, 10 clips and a 1 year warranty.

because spending extra $750 on top of the $400 for the rack grade cost lots more. can't you get a new springfield armory m1a garand for $1100-$1200?

FatKatMatt
03-07-2007, 5:35 PM
I've never heard of Garand Guy, but I'll check his site out

On the Springfield M1's, NRAhighpowershooter has been quite vocal in his distrust of them in a previous thread I made a few months ago; he has a lot of Garands so I'll take his word. Apparently the cast instead of forged metal used for the receiver isn't very good.

ask80
03-07-2007, 5:40 PM
http://www.garandguy.com/issuegrade.htm

there's pictures.. looks nice too...
just curious does CMP deliver the rifle to your door? or does it have to go through a FFL? i don't have a c&r...

FatKatMatt
03-07-2007, 5:42 PM
They're a semi-government agency, they do the NICS check and then it gets shipped straight to you.

I looked at the site and the Premium Grade looks nice, might get one of those. Thanks for your help!

zeek1974
03-07-2007, 5:42 PM
I bought a Winchester Rack Grade last year and if I would have shot it without being porfessionally inspected, I probably would have killed myself. A lot of things needed to be fixed but I didn't mind since it was fun to fix it up and such:)

marksbb
03-07-2007, 5:55 PM
is it better to buy one from the garandguy.. i think that's the website name

Premium Grade M1 $850
All parts have been gauged, including: Index, headspace, timing, throat, erosion, muzzle, straightness, firing pin protrusion, gas cylinder & piston. Barrels gauge a 2 or 3, with tight muzzles and bright, shiny bore. New Stock and hand guards. Stained Walnut Looks good and shoots great! You can buy cheaper, but not better. Comes with: Instruction manual, web sling, 10 clips and a 1 year warranty.

because spending extra $750 on top of the $400 for the rack grade cost lots more. can't you get a new springfield armory m1a garand for $1100-$1200?

No, $750.00 was the total cost including the rifle.

FatKatMatt
03-07-2007, 5:59 PM
yeah, 400 + 750 would buy you the Super Duper Stupendous Grade, lol. BTW, thanks for your earlier response marksbb, I really appreciate your input.

marksbb
03-07-2007, 6:00 PM
I bought a Winchester Rack Grade last year and if I would have shot it without being porfessionally inspected, I probably would have killed myself. A lot of things needed to be fixed but I didn't mind since it was fun to fix it up and such:)

And this was from CMP?

CMP armorers not only check the headspacing, they also fire the rifle. CMP has sold thousands and thousands of rifles and not once have I heard that they had sent out a dangerous weapon. I question your Gunsmith's motive.

ask80
03-07-2007, 6:26 PM
hey marksbb, so how much was it to fix up the whole thing with shipping? and where at? link? how long did it take?

i'm thinking about the rack grade since i need a m1a garand ASAP, since all you hogs have bought like 10 garands already. :mad:

i'm waiting for my CRPA card to come in the mail.

Satex
03-07-2007, 6:41 PM
Take a chance. I am pretty pleased with my Greek Field Grade. My plan from the begining was to slowly rebuild it if it is in bad shape.

marksbb
03-07-2007, 6:50 PM
hey marksbb, so how much was it to fix up the whole thing with shipping? and where at? link? how long did it take?

i'm thinking about the rack grade since i need a m1a garand ASAP, since all you hogs have bought like 10 garands already. :mad:

i'm waiting for my CRPA card to come in the mail.

I had it done locally...San Jose. The guy who did it for me is Dick Hudnut at R.H. Antigue Gunsmithing. 408 727-2876

Springfield Armory Does it too, as long as it's a springfield you're sending them. From what I hear, they can do it cheaper than what I paid. You'll have to call them directly as it is not something listed on their website. I heard the rifles come back looking great.

Order the barrel and stock set from CMP and the metal stock set from Numrich's. I believe the set costs about 16.00

Hunter158
03-07-2007, 7:40 PM
Whatever you do... Don't wait.

I lucked out when I bought my Field grade Greek. The rifle itself was great. Really excellent condition and what looks like a new barrel. The stock on the other hand looked like hell. And the wood was covered in 1/8 inch of some thing like cosmoline. (not on the metal)

Trust me, get your order in. You won't be sorry.

marksbb
03-12-2007, 8:56 AM
Actually, my info was a little misleading...buy a barrel from Springfield Armory and have them re-barrel and head-space it, the cost is only 209.00 dollars. They will repark it for an additional 75.00 dollars.

metalhead357
03-12-2007, 8:20 PM
On the Springfield M1's, NRAhighpowershooter has been quite vocal in his distrust of them in a previous thread I made a few months ago; he has a lot of Garands so I'll take his word. Apparently the cast instead of forged metal used for the receiver isn't very good.

YEP! And I'm with him. Springfield INC. is NOT the same as the original Springfield armory; Another site I belong too has a guy there that's been working on Garands for years....one of the longest running/ran thread there about the complete CRAP that the INC. rifles are.

You're MUCH better buying a rack...shoot it until it needs a rebuild...and then rebuild... all for less than a new INC> crap one; not too mention you're getting a 'real' one rather than a knockoff....

Just one man's opinion; And BTW.... I'm catching up to NRAHPS:eek: Finnally someone in Cali to give the boy a run for the money!!!!!!;)