PDA

View Full Version : Stopped at the Camp Pendleton gun shop Friday

BDH
12-18-2011, 5:34 PM
It was interesting to get a Marine's take on bullet buttons after dealing with rifles routinely used in combat. Sort of a what is this, how do I use it and when can I take if off. One Marine was relieved to know just a simple parts replacement was all he needed once he went back to his home state to "un-neuter" his new Colt. He also asked me if he could use a 30-round magazine, to which I replied sure, if legal in his state. That's when the lady behind the counter stated a 30-round wouldn't fit. She was shocked to hear it would, then warned me not to advise her client to break the law. I have no idea what they are taught, so I had to chuckle. The employees are not gun enthusiasts looking for work in the shop, but exchange employees assigned there. By the way, it is true that the "evil" rifles are now kept in the back. You have to ask what they have to see them. Overall, the staff is very nice and seems to work very hard to help the clients with their purchases.

Bruce

mlevans66
12-18-2011, 5:48 PM
Shut the front door! Which one of the people told you not to tell the Marine about the 30 rnd mag? I use to love going there now I kinda hate it. They are sooooo gun stupid that it almost hurts to talk to them. So they are ARs in the back?

justinlemieux
12-18-2011, 5:56 PM
if your talking quantico, i havent been here since my first ar years ago. I traded a fellow calgunner a bolt gun for an ar and they charged us $80 for the transfer!

mlevans66
12-18-2011, 6:02 PM
if your talking quantico, i havent been here since my first ar years ago. I traded a fellow calgunner a bolt gun for an ar and they charged us $80 for the transfer!

Nooo I"m guessing OP is referring to the All Seasons store at mainsode Camp Pendleton. Those ladies there have a tendancy to speak FUD and have no desire to learn or speak facts. :facepalm:

themailman
12-18-2011, 6:36 PM
The uneducated and rude females working at the All-Seasons are just that, un-educated and rude. I've said this before, but I'll say it again: When you have to show ID and record your name/social/and unit in a logbook...to buy a box of ammo, then you KNOW you shouldnt be buying a firearm there.

jaysponger
12-18-2011, 7:50 PM
The recording the name/social etc to buy ammo is a base order. Last time i bought ammo on base was when there was a shortage......I bought a handgun and a mini 14 on base a few years back with no problem. People behind the counter don't know squat about guns, so you better know what you want when you go and buy. They will match any advertised price within 50 miles as i was told. Not paying for tax is a good incentive in buying on base IMHO.

Kauf
12-18-2011, 8:09 PM
Where is the gun store on base? Mainside exchange?

mlevans66
12-18-2011, 8:33 PM
Where is the gun store on base? Mainside exchange?

All the way at the end of mainside exchange area is a place called "All Seasons". It's right across the street from Johnny Rockets. Place some times has nice stuff but some of the people that work the gun section can work your nerves.

Kauf
12-18-2011, 8:43 PM
Never knew that. I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way!

pyromensch
12-18-2011, 10:14 PM
It was interesting to get a Marine's take on bullet buttons after dealing with rifles routinely used in combat. Sort of a what is this, how do I use it and when can I take if off. One Marine was relieved to know just a simple parts replacement was all he needed once he went back to his home state to "un-neuter" his new Colt. He also asked me if he could use a 30-round magazine, to which I replied sure, if legal in his state. That's when the lady behind the counter stated a 30-round wouldn't fit. She was shocked to hear it would, then warned me not to advise her client to break the law. I have no idea what they are taught, so I had to chuckle. The employees are not gun enthusiasts looking for work in the shop, but exchange employees assigned there. By the way, it is true that the "evil" rifles are now kept in the back. You have to ask what they have to see them. Overall, the staff is very nice and seems to work very hard to help the clients with their purchases.

Bruce

amazing!, not the post, but that camp pendleton allows the sale of firearms. i was stationed there, from 78-82, and after the attempted reagan assasination, the PX stopped selling firearms, just when i was going to buy a ruger 512 for $100.