PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14

Sturnovik
12-18-2011, 4:36 PM
I keep shooting a buddies Ruger and to be honest, while its not an AR, the shooting I do at the farthest point is usually 150 yards. I'm really liking how this thing feels! Great feel and trigger, much better than some other rifles I've tried out. I was wondering if you guys liked yours? I just picked up a .30 30 but I'm having some horrid problems with my keltec Su16ca. I figure I'd go the 5.56 route and get a Ruger mini 14 or AR. Can a flashlight attachment and optics mount be mounted with ease nowadays?

I'm shopping around for 10 rounders as we speak. What do you guys think? I know the range isnt as far as other rifles, but I dont shoot far as it is.

russ69
12-18-2011, 4:54 PM
Minis are a lot of fun.

Oneaudiopro
12-18-2011, 4:57 PM
I've owned my mini for about 20yrs now and is by far my favorite rifle. If you read the posts on minis they sometimes are hit and miss as far as accuracy goes. I took mine out 2 weeks ago and was hitting 5 out of 5 at 500yds with open sights............I'm sure I lucked out finding one of the good ones. I think you would love having a mini AND.......NO bullet button! Lets us know what you decide.

Sturnovik
12-18-2011, 4:58 PM
I've owned my mini for about 20yrs now and is by far my favorite rifle. If you read the posts on minis they sometimes are hit and miss as far as accuracy goes. I took mine out 2 weeks ago and was hitting 5 out of 5 at 500yds with open sights............I'm sure I lucked out finding one of the good ones. I think you would love having a mini AND.......NO bullet button! Lets us know what you decide.

Good to hear. I like that theres no BB, granted its a whole different beast though. I like the look, my buddy has the all black synthetic model with stainless barrel and parts. It shoots very nicely. My only question is that if I was to add an optic, say an EOtech/Aimpoint down the road for fun, my Gf likes shooting optics, and maybe even a flashlight on it, is it doable?
Are mags expensive?

JAGGUY
12-18-2011, 4:59 PM
I've had my mini 14 for 30+ years and have no plans on getting rid of it. I like the classic design of the action and all my "standard" cap magazines.....

ap3572001
12-18-2011, 5:03 PM
My department still has a bunch of Mini-14's (GB) rifles. I own at least one mini since the mid 80's. Its accurate enough to hit a B-27 target everytime at 100 yards. Shooting standing . Works everytime too.

Sturnovik
12-18-2011, 5:17 PM
My department still has a bunch of Mini-14's (GB) rifles. I own at least one mini since the mid 80's. Its accurate enough to hit a B-27 target everytime at 100 yards. Shooting standing . Works everytime too.
I use those B27's all the time! Good to hear. Yea the absolute max I push rifle shooting is around 200 at my range. I'm glad it has the ability to reach out that far.

I've had my mini 14 for 30+ years and have no plans on getting rid of it. I like the classic design of the action and all my "standard" cap magazines.....
Once again good to hear, I didnt know to many departments still had them. I'm sorta going between a stainless model and the black. The Stainless is around a 100 or 100+, so I'm kinda wondering if I should or not. Its nice having some corrosion resistance. Trying to find some rails and stuff to get optics and lights on it.

damon1272
12-18-2011, 5:58 PM
I love the design and feel of the mini but I sold mine when the best groups I could get were around 6" @ 100. Sent it back to ruger and they got them down to 5". I understand the new mini 14's are much more accurate but I am so deep into AR's it is not worth going back to.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 6:03 PM
Mini's get a bad reputation sometimes, but for their intended use, accuracy is fine and reliability is awesome.

I recently dumped a bunch of crap off of my pencil barrel and it's plenty accurate for realistic shooting.

Sturnovik
12-18-2011, 6:05 PM
Mini's get a bad reputation sometimes, but for their intended use, accuracy is fine and reliability is awesome.

I recently dumped a bunch of crap off of my pencil barrel and it's plenty accurate for realistic shooting.

Yea I've heard the newer barrels and chambers are better quality and much more accurate then they were when they came out. I'm hoping for 3-4 inch groups at 150 yards. If there slightly bigger, I can live with that, I shoot up close typically. 100/80 yards.

Drivedabizness
12-18-2011, 6:15 PM
I just sold my Mini ...had a trigger job done and installed new optics...it held 2in. (or so) groups for me.

Used the $$$ to upgrade to a new S&W AR....but it was nice and I'll miss it.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 6:17 PM
Yea I've heard the newer barrels and chambers are better quality and much more accurate then they were when they came out. I'm hoping for 3-4 inch groups at 150 yards. If there slightly bigger, I can live with that, I shoot up close typically. 100/80 yards.

mine is a 196 series with a pencil barrel, and i manage about 4" groups @ 100 yards. But i'm not a very good shot, either. So i'm sure the gun itself is better than 4".

Here's a pic of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/Rlun3.jpg

mods are: williams' WGRS rear peep sight, choate ventilated handguard, accu-strut barrel stabilizer, and matte painted buttplate. oh and wife's white nail polish on the front blade mod.

The reason I painted the buttplate is because it comes shiny and slippery from the factory, and a little matte black spray paint fixed most of the slippery feel.

Using John Masen 10 round blued steel magazines with 100% reliability and last shot open.

Shoots good, I like the shorter LOP from the factory stock compared to my old hogue stock (makes it feel more CQB ready. Also removed an old sling; i may invest in a specter CQB sling at some point but right now i'm fine with this.

Coyote Brown
12-18-2011, 6:29 PM
Pro mags are gtg.

AR87
12-18-2011, 6:34 PM
Mini 14s are either well liked or hated, it seems. Mine shoots good for the first 3 shots, and then the thing starts tossing bullets everywhere. Think it has something to do with the barrel heating up. Haven't heard this from too many people though. So they are probably a solid platform, I just got a bad egg. I hope... Just my .02

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 6:35 PM
Mini 14s are either well liked or hated, it seems. Mine shoots good for the first 3 shots, and then the thing starts tossing bullets everywhere. Think it has something to do with the barrel heating up. Haven't heard this from too many people though. So they are probably a solid platform, I just got a bad egg. I hope... Just my .02

had the same problem with fliers after the barrel heated up

after the accu-strut, most of the problem was solved.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 6:38 PM
as far as flashlights and optics, the Mini isn't great. The factory scope mounts that come with it for use with the factory integral mounts are fine, but if you use something like a B-square or any other picitinny rail adapters for it, it will raise the optic so high you won't be able to have a proper cheek weld. There aren't too many stocks for it that are CA friendly that allow use of rails up front for flashlights/optics.

You can, however, get an ultimak handguard rail that replaces the factory handguard and bolts solidly onto the gas block.

this has rails all around for use with scout optics and/or flashlights.

Retzius
12-18-2011, 7:17 PM
I love the mini-6.8.

Sniper3142
12-18-2011, 9:18 PM
A Mini-14 was the first centerfire rifle I ever purchased.

While I still have it today, IMHO it is in all ways inferior to an AR15.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 9:28 PM

The AR15 serves a different purpose than the Mini14, and was designed with that in mind.

One is a tactical military carbine, and the other is a ranch-varmint homestead rifle.

While both are capable of pulling double duty to varying degrees of success, you might want to keep that in mind.

The Mini14 does well with what it's supposed to do - shoot coyotes and metal plates for fun.

Im Broken
12-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I had a mini chambered in x39 and loved mags were hard to find for it though. Proper working ones.

Don't regret selling ming mine but if I had a chance to buy another I would.

sigstroker
12-19-2011, 1:05 AM
The Ranch model is designed specifically by the factory to use optics.

There are little pieces of rail you can buy that you can screw to the wood stock to mount a light.

axhoaxho
12-19-2011, 3:10 AM
I love mine. Like folks say, the Mini 14 is lots of fun, and is a good workhorse.

ej39umHaB08

gibt
12-19-2011, 5:40 AM
Optics are no problem.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/gibpatrice/mini1_1.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/gibpatrice/IMG_3246_1.jpg

Mossy Man
12-19-2011, 6:00 AM
Optics are no problem.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/gibpatrice/mini1_1.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/gibpatrice/IMG_3246_1.jpg

Which mags are those?

3GunFunShooter
12-19-2011, 6:01 AM
I have 2 Mini 14s, one is sort of stock. Trigger jog, AccuStrut, Ameranges rail, AK 74 brake, extended mag release, stainless steel cryoed. Bought new in 2002.
With Federal Match King 69 Gr. I have shot 1". Most PMI, American Eagle, 55 gr. is 2"
I also have an ASI custom for 3 Gun. They are great rifles. To be honest, Calguns is a great forum, but for all things about the MINI, go to www.perfectunion.com.
Over 135,000 posting on the MINI 14/30. It is the source for all things MINI.

ap3572001
12-19-2011, 8:10 AM

Inferior how? If we are talking about RAW/LE AR-15 with 20 and 30 mags and std mag release , I AGREE with You .

If we are talking about CA legal AR with BB and 9-10 round mag, I will take a MINI all day long.

ryan0320
12-19-2011, 8:20 AM
My mini-14 is one of my favorite rifles. It is robust design and can work under most condition. It shoots both 5.56 and 223 which is a plus.
but I do recommend acc-struct for improving accuracy..

coyotebait
12-19-2011, 8:40 AM
I keep shooting a buddies Ruger and to be honest, while its not an AR, the shooting I do at the farthest point is usually 150 yards. I'm really liking how this thing feels! Great feel and trigger, much better than some other rifles I've tried out. I was wondering if you guys liked yours? I just picked up a .30 30 but I'm having some horrid problems with my keltec Su16ca. I figure I'd go the 5.56 route and get a Ruger mini 14 or AR. Can a flashlight attachment and optics mount be mounted with ease nowadays?

I'm shopping around for 10 rounders as we speak. What do you guys think? I know the range isnt as far as other rifles, but I dont shoot far as it is.

Love my mini.....here's mine,
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk411/coyote_bait/100_1696.jpg
Flashlight is held by a barrel clamp...works good enough for me.
Here's how the optic is mounted,
http://www.thecountryshed.com/mini-14_trirail_mounts.htm

Mossy Man
12-19-2011, 9:00 AM
as far as the 150 yards comment, i would say that for precision shooting more than 100 yards is asking a lot out of a mini, but metal plate-accuracy to 600 yards is not unheard of from it.

gibt
12-19-2011, 9:45 AM
"Which mags are those? "

To tell you the truth I don't remember and there are no markings on it. I did buy it at Truners about 6 years ago. It's a ten rounder.

Sturnovik
12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
My mini-14 is one of my favorite rifles. It is robust design and can work under most condition. It shoots both 5.56 and 223 which is a plus.
but I do recommend acc-struct for improving accuracy..

Yea. I noticed it in some picks, does it have go be welded on or snap on?

I'm just looking at options for optics, I like Eotechs up close not far, may or may not work, I may have to use a standard red dot.

The barrel clamp will work fine for a light I figure.

Mossy Man
12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Yea. I noticed it in some picks, does it have go be welded on or snap on?

I'm just looking at options for optics, I like Eotechs up close not far, may or may not work, I may have to use a standard red dot.

The barrel clamp will work fine for a light I figure.

the rod is machined to fit directly over the gas block and tightened with a set screw, and it is bolted on via metal clamps to the barrel.

i used a little blue locktite on the clamp surfaces per the instructions, and it has stayed on for over 200 rounds so far without any issues.

Sturnovik
12-19-2011, 11:18 AM
the rod is machined to fit directly over the gas block and tightened with a set screw, and it is bolted on via metal clamps to the barrel.

i used a little blue locktite on the clamp surfaces per the instructions, and it has stayed on for over 200 rounds so far without any issues.

Good to hear, yea looking at it I'm like how the hell would I get that piece on! I didnt want to have to send it to a gunsmith/welder to have it done. I think I'm def. going to get that and just going between the stainless and non stainless model. I like the idea of stainless, the guy had his 15 years, no marks and seemed very rugged.

Mossy Man
12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Good to hear, yea looking at it I'm like how the hell would I get that piece on! I didnt want to have to send it to a gunsmith/welder to have it done. I think I'm def. going to get that and just going between the stainless and non stainless model. I like the idea of stainless, the guy had his 15 years, no marks and seemed very rugged.

i would get the blued one;

i wish i had

the s/s one has better resistance, but the blued one matches gear better

RAMCHARGER
12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Back in the days I had a Mini with the wood handguard. reliable as sinning in Vegas and while I didnt do any serious target shooting back then it turned whatever was found in the desert to swiss cheese. If you want a rifle made if steel in .223 then this is the best way to go.

jimbos44
12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
put a hogue overmoulded stock on mine. The feel is awesome. can dig your fingernails in, great grip. Too much fun. Shot red bulls eye out at 50yds for fun

jimbos44
12-19-2011, 11:41 AM
also use a red dot for fast target shooting

strongpoint
12-19-2011, 12:00 PM
midwest industries makes a light mount (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=221).

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/mimini1pu.gif