PDA

View Full Version : 1911 frame question

aileron
03-07-2007, 1:56 PM
Okay, I know someone who bought a 1911 frame ages ago that might be willing to sell it to me, because 8 or 9 years later they have decided they probably will never build up a 1911.

So, big question. I like the colt combat commanders. Are there different frame sizes? Or will the 1911 full size frame work with a commader slide?

mick
03-07-2007, 3:13 PM
I think it will work with the commander slide. Lots of companies make a full sized frame with a commander sized slide. I *think* I even swapped the slides on 2 different kimbers a while back just for giggles and it worked fine... but I've got ADD and the details get a little groggy going back several years.

And no... there was no alkyhawl involved. At least not that I can remember.

Schlamoo
03-07-2007, 6:37 PM
No, A Commander slide will not work properly on a Gov't frame. The frame slide rails are a little too long as is the dust cover. There is another issue I think but can not remember what it is. Post your question over at Louderthanwords.us and pose the question over there. Alot of top end gunsmiths hangout there.

And if your friend has any extra frames after your done with him, I'll take what you don't want. :D

Good luck.

aileron
03-09-2007, 3:47 PM
Thanks for the info, unfortunatly only one frame. :(

Still have to get him to sell it to me. He's made it clear he will. So its not that big a deal. :D

Schlamoo
03-10-2007, 5:53 PM
I see you posted on LTW I gave you a bump over there. The folks are pretty knowegable and nice. I know there was a company that made Commander slides for the Govt frames but can't remember who they were. Maybe someone wil have the answer but then good luck finding such a thing as the slide hasn't been produced for awhile...........:(

aileron
03-10-2007, 7:48 PM
Hey thanks for the info on that site and your help. What an awsome place. I will keep tabs on the posts. So far Im getting the feeling its probably best to get a normal slide and forgo making a combat commander.

:D

wolfmann
03-10-2007, 8:13 PM
1911forum.com
They can answer anything and usually do lol.