PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Trigger pull

spencerk
12-18-2011, 2:51 PM
So ive been breaking in my remington 700 for the past couple of weeks (160rounds in) and The trigger has yet to get any lighter eventhough a few people told me i should see a change by now. It has the new Xmark pro adjustable trigger and im just wondering if i should lighten it up myself. its making for hard consistant shooting.

Any thoughts?

BDH
12-18-2011, 5:23 PM
My experience with any Remington trigger, it is what it is. You might break in a bbl or a trigger on a double action pistol, but of the all the bolt-action rifles I have, the trigger is whatever it's set to be. That aside, I've never had an xMark Pro trigger. If it's adjustable, set it, test it (repeatedly) and go back out and shoot some groups. Ensure the rifle doesn't fire upon lifting the bolt, closing the bolt, engaging the safety, loading the rifle or bumping the rifle.

Here's a link on how to adjust the trigger.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/how-adjust-new-remington-700-x-mark-pro-trigger-37572/

Here's a Remington video, but they don't have much to say about safety checks after changing the pull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOpzbe-BzDo

By the way...what do you do with this rifle? Paper? Hunt? Keep in mind, if it's adjusted unsafely, liability can be an issue depending what you do with the rifle.

Bruce

GUNNTZ
12-18-2011, 5:47 PM
It is easily adjusted, but I highly recommend using a trigger pull gauge to measure the setting. Remington sets them to 4-5# on some and 3.5 to 4 on other rifles. I never understood their method. I set mine to 2.5# and it's plenty light.

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 6:24 PM
the remington 700 is known to have AD issues when paired with unsafe trigger jobs.

google "remington 700 accidental discharge"

B_KVS1hIbQg

edit: didn't see it comes with the adjustable trigger

disregard, but leaving video for fun because its an interesting watch.

spencerk
12-18-2011, 6:28 PM
I plan on using it for varmint and some deer hunting. and of course, for paper. already shot some sub-1" groups. 3-5 shots depending on target space and wind. That being said, i doubt this rifle will remain stock for very long, i really want to make it into a 1000 yard capable rifle (i have shot large steel plates at a thousand yards, but never a small target or for groupings even) I do want it to remain fieldable though, and not retarded heavy. i dont mind some weight behind my rifle but i dont want it to be a pain.

i was planning on using a trigger pull gauge, or a fishing scale (my buddy uses one for his triggers and has never had a misfire unless it was caused by him getting a little trigger happy. that being said, would you even consider that a SAFE option? if not ill just get an actual trigger pull gauge

BDH
12-18-2011, 6:33 PM
For Mossy Man...
What you are referring to are the older Remington triggers. This isn't the one.
Bruce

Mossy Man
12-18-2011, 6:39 PM
For Mossy Man...
What you are referring to are the older Remington triggers. This isn't the one.
Bruce

noted

Gray Ops 1*
12-18-2011, 6:46 PM
the remington 700 is known to have AD issues when paired with unsafe trigger jobs.

google "remington 700 accidental discharge"

B_KVS1hIbQg

edit: didn't see it comes with the adjustable trigger

disregard, but leaving video for fun because its an interesting watch.

The Mark trigger is the new trigger group used by Remington replacing the trigger all the controversy was over. You hit the nail on the head though "poor trigger job" was a major contributing factor to the problem.

The Mark is easy to adjust 1/4 turn at a time. The other advise about using a trigger weight is well advised.

spencerk
12-18-2011, 6:52 PM
I was also thinking about taking apart the trigger assembly and checking to see if any of the internals had burrs or seams on them because i felt a tiny point where it seemed the trigger would catch right before it breaks, but not like trigger creep. it gets stiffer then easy and bang.
BTW is dry firing bad for your rifle? i have heard that it does and that it doesnt so i want to clear that up before i start going crazy with the trigger before i get snap caps.

fusionstar
12-18-2011, 7:14 PM
So ive been breaking in my remington 700 for the past couple of weeks (160rounds in) and The trigger has yet to get any lighter eventhough a few people told me i should see a change by now. It has the new Xmark pro adjustable trigger and im just wondering if i should lighten it up myself. its making for hard consistant shooting.

Any thoughts?

Lighten? It will smooth out but doesn't just lighten by itself over 160 rounds.

fusionstar
12-18-2011, 7:15 PM

Of course unsafe trigger jobs will lead to AD in any gun, and not just 700's :facepalm:

spencerk
12-18-2011, 7:16 PM
Lighten? It will smooth out but doesn't just lighten by itself over 160 rounds.

yeah thats what i meant. i mispoke.

dfletcher
12-18-2011, 7:23 PM
I was also thinking about taking apart the trigger assembly and checking to see if any of the internals had burrs or seams on them because i felt a tiny point where it seemed the trigger would catch right before it breaks, but not like trigger creep. it gets stiffer then easy and bang.
BTW is dry firing bad for your rifle? i have heard that it does and that it doesnt so i want to clear that up before i start going crazy with the trigger before i get snap caps.

At this point I wouldn't bother.

When adjusting the X trigger heat the sear adjustment screw, it is loctited (something more than blue) and simply cleaning off the goop covering the hex screw head won't allow you to turn it. I've done a fair amount of 700 triggers, the X gives off a little odor when the loctite material has heated to the point of breaking down.

HonkingAntelope
12-18-2011, 7:39 PM
At this point I wouldn't bother.

When adjusting the X trigger heat the sear adjustment screw, it is loctited (something more than blue) and simply cleaning off the goop covering the hex screw head won't allow you to turn it. I've done a fair amount of 700 triggers, the X gives off a little odor when the loctite material has heated to the point of breaking down.

Unfortunately, Remington Co caught too much heat from morons who had ND's after turning their trigger pulls down to 1/128oz.

I bought a new 700 SPS Tactical for my bday earlier this month, and the trigger pull feels just fine and pretty light to me. I suggest using a trigger pull gauge to measure the actual pull weight before fiddling with it.

AFAIK, X triggers are set at about 3-something lbs out the of box. If yours is in that range after so many shots, adjust away. If it's WAY heavier, it's a good idea to get it checked out for any warranty issues first.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
12-18-2011, 7:45 PM
Had mine set to 3lbs and love it. My gunsmith suggested I not mess with anything under 3lbs due to accidental discharge. Even a 3lbs it's caught me off guard a few times ;).

BDH
12-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Try not to use a "fish" scale. They are a bit on the rough side for decent measurement. I've had an old RCBS spring guage for years that has worked great. It doesn't have to be fancy, just reliable. It's one of those tools you don't use often, but great when you can pull it out of a drawer when you need it.
Bruce

killshot44
12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Take the $ you'd spend on that trigger-pull scale and buy a Jewell trigger. Much better.

Mojaveman
12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Remington 700 triggers aren't the greatest but they work. I bought a CDL a few years ago and the trigger was set at about 5 pounds. The trigger is easily adjustable by only using the pull screw. I was able to set it at 3 pounds by using a deep sea fishing weight. If you are interested in putting a better trigger on yours try a Timney.

shortround1
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Set your rifle down, shoot a hundred rounds or so through a glock. Go back to your remington and the trigger will be smooth as silk. :D

spencerk
12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Haha yeah i tried that with my dads hi point c9 and it actually helped. But the r700 seems a bit stiff still so while im laid up after my knee surgery tomorrow im going to do tye adjustments.

send it_hit
12-19-2011, 1:21 PM

what caliber is it? generally dry firing can (eventually) cause problems in rimfire, but doesn't matter to centerfire rifles.

spencerk
12-19-2011, 1:42 PM
Its a .243 win short action