PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing and built/unbuilt AR uppers...

pnkssbtz
03-07-2007, 1:46 PM
So a few months ago I built myself an AR based on a mega upper/lower with a white oak barrel etc. etc.

I am thinking of putting together another AR upper to swap in but I drew a bunch of blanks in the area of headspacing.

I want to make a dedicated AR upper for 22 plinking at the range. Most of the AR uppers I see for sale cost close to the same as buying a whole gun from parts, so I was thinking of just putting together my own upper and getting a ceiner kit.

I have an action block, a barrel vise and an armorers wrench, so I think I have the tools necessary.

But I don't know the following:

1.) Can I get a barrel with proper twist that would assemble with an AR upper.

2.) How exactly does headspacing work when assembling a rifle. Is it part of the inside of the barrel i.e. pre-done by whoever cut the barrel, or is it part of the barrel extension, etc... (I didn't have to mess with it since CWS had the barrel/upper/handguards pre-assembled...)

stator
03-07-2007, 2:47 PM
it is mostly with how the barrel and extension are mated together.

6172crew
03-07-2007, 3:26 PM
So a few months ago I built myself an AR based on a mega upper/lower with a white oak barrel etc. etc.

I am thinking of putting together another AR upper to swap in but I drew a bunch of blanks in the area of headspacing.

I want to make a dedicated AR upper for 22 plinking at the range. Most of the AR uppers I see for sale cost close to the same as buying a whole gun from parts, so I was thinking of just putting together my own upper and getting a ceiner kit.

I have an action block, a barrel vise and an armorers wrench, so I think I have the tools necessary.

But I don't know the following:

1.) Can I get a barrel with proper twist that would assemble with an AR upper.

2.) How exactly does headspacing work when assembling a rifle. Is it part of the inside of the barrel i.e. pre-done by whoever cut the barrel, or is it part of the barrel extension, etc... (I didn't have to mess with it since CWS had the barrel/upper/handguards pre-assembled...)
Im thinking about building a whit oak SPR on my mega upper/lower.

Any pics? did they put it together or did you? how does it shoot with good ammo?:confused:

I asked John if he thought the Mega uppers were ok to build on and he said he hadnt heard anything bad about em and he also recommended a YHM handgard vis the JP rifle one i mentioned to him.

mltrading
03-07-2007, 3:38 PM
On AR15 platform, unless you disassemble/assemble the barrel extension, there should be no headspace problem.

Usually the headspace is properly set when the barrel and extension are assembled in the factory. The so-called "build an AR" will be nothing to do with the headspacing.

But if you are dealing with blank barrels, that's another story.

pnkssbtz
03-07-2007, 4:04 PM
On AR15 platform, unless you disassemble/assemble the barrel extension, there should be no headspace problem.

Usually the headspace is properly set when the barrel and extension are assembled in the factory. The so-called "build an AR" will be nothing to do with the headspacing.

But if you are dealing with blank barrels, that's another story.

I am talking about buying a mega upper and a barrel with 1 in 16 twist or something for a .22lr.

I don't know of many people who sell .22lr barrels for AR's =P

I may just call up CWS or Ten% and bug them. I know CWS will pre-assemble things for your if you ask nicely =P

*Edit*

Ok re-read it and it appears you answered my question, I am just too noobish in the ways of barrels to know!

Barrels come with the extension pre-done? So I just need to find a 1 in 16 twist barrel for an AR... (with no gas hole...)

pnkssbtz
03-07-2007, 4:09 PM
Im thinking about building a whit oak SPR on my mega upper/lower.

Any pics? did they put it together or did you? how does it shoot with good ammo?:confused:

I asked John if he thought the Mega uppers were ok to build on and he said he hadnt heard anything bad about em and he also recommended a YHM handgard vis the JP rifle one i mentioned to him.

CWS had the upper, barrel and FF rails pre assembled.

I've only shot up to 75yrds with it at about 600-750 rounds of Ammo Bro's new stuff.

I am very happy with it and the atomic symbol on the side makes me chuckle.