PDA

View Full Version : Long range practical precision rifle for a beginner

BRANDON7766
12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I wrote this as a reply to someone but figured why not post it here...maybe someone could learn from responses as well.

My goal for this rifle is to give me something to shoot out with the ncpprc. I am a new shooter to bolt guns and longer than 100 yards in general. so I'll be horrible for some period of time. I want something nice that I can learn on over the next year or 2.

When I upgrade, I'll just have Spartan make me a custom on a surgeon or perhaps a gap. I would do that now but at my skill level and not having shot enough long range to even know if I like it, I wanted something factory for the resell value and cost. There are some other things die like to purchase as well. I plan on a top end scope, possibly a premeir or NF

For around 1-1200 what would you recommend?

I could just use a 308 AR but I'm probably better off learning on a bolt gun in the

BRANDON7766
12-18-2011, 11:28 AM
So far options I've considered are:

Rem 700 sps tactical or varmint, putting extra $$ into a new stock.
Rem 700 5r
Savage 10fcp McMillan (nice A5 on it)

Other ideas?

1911su16b870
12-18-2011, 11:32 AM
IMO the most important purchase right now for you entering the realm of precision shooting is to buy the best (most expensive) glass you can get your hands on.

You spend alot of time looking through that glass and good glass = less eye fatigue.

You can start with an out of the box Remington 700, just put that "buy once, cry once" glass ontop of it.

Another great idea is to go to one of the comps or introductory classes and see what the other guys are running.

BRANDON7766
12-18-2011, 11:34 AM
No worries on the glass...I've got the money for a S+B or less. Just working n the rifle now.

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Buy the best glass you can afford and the cheapest rifle that will shoot within your tolerances. Don't forget to have money for decent reloading equipment. Precision shooting takes 4 main things (rifle, glass, ammo and shooter) and, you will only be able to shoot as well as the weakest one of them is. To begin with, that will be the shooter but, that can change quickly so, be ready to learn to reload precision ammo asap.

BRANDON7766
12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
For reloading, I plan to buy some match ammo and try various loads over the 1st year and save the brass to reload during year 2.

Need some help on final rifle selection....anyone have opinions on any of the above or another model worth considering in that 1-1200 or less price range?

a1fabweld
12-18-2011, 1:06 PM
I did the same thing you are trying to do. Here's what worked for me:

Remmy 5R .308 for $1050 OTD.
AICS chassis for $800.
Badger 20MOA base & rings about $275.
Harris swivel bipod with Pod-lock about $125.
NF 5.5-22x56 Mil/Mil scope about $1500.
Bubble level, sling & misc gadgets about $150.
I threaded my own barrel & added a PWS comp for about $100.
Finished it off with a can of black BBQ paint for $5.

After selling off the factory 5R stock (which is a good stock BTW) you're in it less than $4K for a pretty solid, mostly factory type rifle.

I opted for the AICS chassis because by the time you inlet the rifle for a detachable mag bottom metal, purchase the bottom metal, & bed the rifle, you're within a few bucks of an AICS which is plug & play. Then sell your HSP stock to get a few bucks back.

It shoots great & I never regretted one thing about my combo (Thanks Mudflap for the specs on this combo).

Now reloading gear ran me another $1500 with an electronic powder dispenser, press, match dies, precision measuring tools, trimmer, 1K brass, 1K bullets, couple kegs of powder & primers.

It's a good idea IMO to get a factory built starter type rig (all the while not buying junk parts) to get your feet wet. It will take you a while to outgrow it. Then if you stick with it, if & when you upgrade to a custom rifle, you can sell your old setup for 70% of what you're into it for.

Or you could spend $10k right off the bat for a custom Surgeon/GAP/ whatever rifle & a Premier scope to test the waters. Some folks have money to burn & if you do, by all means get the best of the best.

Last thing is a 20" barrel is too short for this if you're going to be shooting alot of 1K. You'll be limited to 155 grain bullets to keep them supersonic at the long end. Go at least 22". Good luck!

Zippiot
12-18-2011, 1:35 PM
It doesnt look like much and a combo rifle+scope make most people cringe, but infact the Howa Hogue's scope won scope of the year a while back! It can be had at any Bass Pro shop etc for less than 600 dollars, and though it isnt much to look at the rifle shoots great!

Here is the first link google gave me
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/howa-hogue-rifle-scope-combo-package-hgr36307b-winchester-black-stock-blue-finish-p-117248.html

Fjold
12-18-2011, 1:36 PM
By a rifle and scope with enough elevation to get you to 1,000 yards and shoot it. I see a lot of people on here talk about building rifles to shoot to 1,000 yards and actually see about a dozen people who do it.

Don't waste your money on a Stiller, Nightforce, etc. until you actually shoot at 1,000 yards first. I'll bet that 90% of the long range builds that are shown on these boards haven't been shot past 600 yards.

Hoop
12-18-2011, 1:46 PM
I would look for a deal on a rem700 or a savage heavy barrel and then the best scope you can afford on your dime plenty of good choices at every price.

Hoop
12-18-2011, 1:57 PM
For reloading, I plan to buy some match ammo and try various loads over the 1st year and save the brass to reload during year 2.

I did the same thing with my rifles and now that I think about it I was just pissing money away. Put that $$$ towards reloading stuff...

diego-ted
12-18-2011, 5:58 PM
I was shootin at 1200 yards today. Across a canyon uP about 15* of cant. My rig was spOt on. TIlka 308 varmint, lrs1 abot$1200 in the set uP!

Retzius
12-18-2011, 6:23 PM
I would get a stock SPS Varmint in .308 and the Bushnell 10x40 Tactical. Cheap but very capable setup.

I would spend your money on ammo, range time, reloading ammo, range time, rinse and repeat.

When you finally shoot out the barrel and the rig is the limiting factor (5000-8000 rounds) then YOU will know what you need.

HonkingAntelope
12-18-2011, 7:11 PM
So far options I've considered are:

Rem 700 sps tactical or varmint, putting extra $$ into a new stock.
Rem 700 5r
Savage 10fcp McMillan (nice A5 on it)

Other ideas?

Equipment issues aside, practice makes perfect. Shooting groups under 1 MOA requires serious shooter skills even when shooting a sub-MOA rifle.

I did the same thing you are trying to do. Here's what worked for me:

Remmy 5R .308 for $1050 OTD.
AICS chassis for $800.
Badger 20MOA base & rings about $275.
Harris swivel bipod with Pod-lock about $125.
NF 5.5-22x56 Mil/Mil scope about $1500.
Bubble level, sling & misc gadgets about $150.
I threaded my own barrel & added a PWS comp for about $100.
Finished it off with a can of black BBQ paint for $5.

My build:
700 SPS Tactical 20" bbl = $780 OTD
B&C Stock = $480
EGW 20MOA Base + Burris rings = ~$100
Leupold 6.5-20x50mm ER/T FFP TMR scope = $1200
Harris bipod = $80
Total = $2640
---------------------------------

The first time I took it to the range, I shot well under 1" with FGMM 168gr ammo (first time I ever shot a .308). The next step is to figure out which, if any, 150gr ammo this gun likes, and to keep practicing.

a1fabweld
12-18-2011, 7:47 PM
Equipment issues aside, practice makes perfect. Shooting groups under 1 MOA requires serious shooter skills even when shooting a sub-MOA rifle.

My build:
700 SPS Tactical 20" bbl = $780 OTD
B&C Stock = $480
EGW 20MOA Base + Burris rings = ~$100
Leupold 6.5-20x50mm ER/T FFP TMR scope = $1200
Harris bipod = $80
Total = $2640
---------------------------------

The first time I took it to the range, I shot well under 1" with FGMM 168gr ammo (first time I ever shot a .308). The next step is to figure out which, if any, 150gr ammo this gun likes, and to keep practicing.

If you're not reloading, try the Corbon (I think) match loads that use Lapua 155 grain Scenars. Should boost velocity from your short barrel. I started with an SPS Tac as well. Couldn't make it to 1K with FGMM 175 grain ammo. I opted to sell it for the 5R due to longer barrel length. That SPS Tac shot straight though!

Knife Edge
12-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I built a 24" Varminter for target shooting then quickly moved into a .308 gas gun. I apexed rather quickly and went back to the Varminter to work on the fundamentals, breathing, positions, trigger pull, grip, bipod pre-load, etc. AFTER working with the smaller .223, which has essentially no kick, my precision with the .308 OBR more than doubled. This wasn't the only case.

After thousands of frustrated rounds with a HK USP compact .40 (having fired ten thousand rounds of pistol in my lifetime), I bought a Sig Mosquito and spent a thousand more rounds working again on fundamentals. What I found was that after putting my HK down for 3 months my marksmanship with the HK more than doubled.

Flinching and kick is all relative, but the one constant between platforms is fundamentals. If I could advise anything, start small and work your way up. Starting with a moderate kicking .308 bolt gun or worse, a .338 or 300 Win Mag will equate to a very long progression, I promise.

One guy posted to buy great glass, that's most of it. Parallax error and knobs that don't return to the same settings will screw up a shot more than anything. Go Mil-Mil, match reticle and knobs. The gun is almost irrelevant if you really want to learn precision. My bone stock R700 30-06 is sub-MOA, $650. I think sub-MOA is the new standard in rifles.