PDA

View Full Version : First ak help.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I went to my local gun sho here in los angeles and they had a wasr 10 for about $900 out the door...seems kinda steep right? I asked if a saiga conversion would be cheaper and he told me its illegal! My budget is about $8-900 so please help...also i want an ak that can take the high cap mags.. Not those skinny mags...i wanna buy those 10/30 mags to keep that original ak look

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 10:14 AM
STOP. Search on this forum for a thread about that exact rifle. Personally, I don't think I'd do bussiness with a shop that doesn't know that Saiga conversions are 100% legal (as long as they are not on a listed Saiga). Oh, I'm not a big fan of Saiga conversions, I just don't like "experts" spreading FUD just to make an overpriced sale.

Mamluke
12-18-2011, 10:17 AM
That's way too much for a wasr 10!
Check with Atlantic Firearms, they have plenty of California legal AKs for very good prices.
I know a couple of FFL dealers in OC that will charge you $80, including DROS plus tax for the transfer from ATLANTIC.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory94.aspx

This is a good one from Atlantic:
CA legal Milled Polish AK for $729

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/AKCIAMILLED.jpg

DO NOT GET an IO AK!

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Which shop is it at again? I work all over LA County so, I might be in the area soon and get to see this for myself. It might be an old Century build and not just a Century imported WASR but, I doubt it's worth $900.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I looked at atlantic firearms and i like that milled ak for about 800...but since i live in los angeles i would only use it once or twice a month since i cant find any close by ranges that allow u to bring ur own long gun...and i cant seem to find a open range...im up for suggestions...u know my budget so feel free to comment...

cmace22
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Oak tree and Angeles shooting range are within an hour commute of you depending where exactly you are in LA. Im in burbank and it takes me about 25 minutes to both.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Which shop is it at again? I work all over LA County so, I might be in the area soon and get to see this for myself. It might be an old Century build and not just a Century imported WASR but, I doubt it's worth $900.

It was GUN WORLD in burbank...the guys name is mike...bearded fellow..and it was a new wasr10...i noticed it had no dimple where the clip goes in...and the mag felt woobly

Mamluke
12-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I looked at atlantic firearms and i like that milled ak for about 800...but since i live in los angeles i would only use it once or twice a month since i cant find any close by ranges that allow u to bring ur own long gun...and i cant seem to find a open range...im up for suggestions...u know my budget so feel free to comment...

Burro Canyon Range in Asuza has an open rifle range.
Phone: 626-910-1344

They allow steel cased ammo in the wet season only.
But you can use Fiocchi brass all season, however its more money per box $12.99 for a box of 20 rnds from Turner's.

I shoot in High Desert BLM & the Sequoia National Forest.

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM
ANYWHERE in Los Angeles is close to several outdoor ranges. In fact, I know many people across the country who have to travel several hours to a good outdoor range to shoot their 50BMGs at 200 yards or less. In LA, we have 4 or 5 options within a 2 hour drive to shoot them at 600 yards. Living in the City of Los Angeles is really a blessing for rifle shooters who must live in a metropolitain area.

elrey7698
Oak tree and Angeles shooting range are within an hour commute of you depending where exactly you are in LA. Im in burbank and it takes me about 25 minutes to both.

Wow im near dowtown l.a.next to the 10 and the 60 split...im a couple mins away from the la gun club..right on brother thanx for that info

cmace22
It was GUN WORLD in burbank...the guys name is mike...bearded fellow..and it was a new wasr10...i noticed it had no dimple where the clip goes in...and the mag felt woobly

CAUTION..... Never buy anything from Gunworld the prices they charge are ridiculous! They stay in business because of their inventory and uninformed customers. I live in Burbank and willingly make the drive to rifle gear for all of my purchases or transfers!

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Find another shop. But, do not worry about mag wobble at all. That's an internet thing that does not affect performace at all. In fact, I prefer to have a magwell loose enough to accept all types of magazines. In other words, I welcome mag wobble.

Try Addaxx Tactical, call EBR Works or get a WASR from Turner's.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
ANYWHERE in Los Angeles is close to several outdoor ranges. In fact, I know many people across the country who have to travel several hours to a good outdoor range to shoot their 50BMGs at 200 yards or less. In LA, we have 4 or 5 options within a 2 hour drive to shoot them at 600 yards. Living in the City of Los Angeles is really a blessing for rifle shooters who must live in a metropolitain area.

Holy crap! Had no idea...thought i was gonna have to travel alot..

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
CAUTION..... Never buy anything from Gunworld the prices they charge are ridiculous! I live in Burbank and willingly make the drive to rifle gear for all of my purchases or transfers! They stay in business because of their inventory and uninformed customers.

Yeah i thought so too..where is rifle gear..might take a trip there right now.. Slow sunday u know?

fishboy
12-18-2011, 10:43 AM
another vote for riflegear over here. they have some cali legal arsenal aks that is right around your price range.

cmace22
12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah i thought so too..where is rifle gear..might take a trip there right now.. Slow sunday u know?

They are in Costa Mesa (OC). I beleive they are closed on Sundays but I may be wrong. Check them out online. Riflegear.com.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Learning more already...im gonna check them out...im so pumped up i even convinced my friend to buy an AR..he just got back from iraq and he really wants a rifle...

IntoForever
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Oak Tree (by the 5 and 14) has a 100 yard rifle range and sometimes opens up their 75 yard range to rifles. Call first to make sure those ranges are open. 661-259-77441

Angeles (by the 210 and 118) has ranges out to 600 yards. 818-899-2255

I would give you more ranges but these are the only two I know of. Both let you pick up YOUR own brass.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Oak Tree (by the 5 and 14) has a 100 yard rifle range and sometimes opens up their 75 yard range to rifles. Call first to make sure those ranges are open. 661-259-77441

Angeles (by the 210 and 118) has ranges out to 600 yards. 818-899-2255

I would give you more ranges but these are the only two I know of. Both let you pick up YOUR own brass.

Thanx for that info...lotta love in this forum...even for newbies

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Oak Tree
Angeles
Burro
Piru
A Place to Shoot
Raguagees (SP?)
Tripple B's (shotgun only)

Private clubs:
Desert Marksman
a buch of clubs that share Lopez Canyon
Ojia
I forget the name but, it's just past A Place to Shoot
and a bunch more are within two hours of downtown LA. Obviously, many of these are closer.

Thanx for that info...lotta love in this forum...even for newbies

Ooops, forgot you were a newbie. Just forget what I said then and got to ........!

J/K.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Looked at atlantic firearms and they have good deals...im gonna try out rifle gear and see their inventory...i might even boost up my budget to 1k bucks and get a milled ak

d sauce
12-18-2011, 2:02 PM
Look at Turner's for a WASR that accepts double stack magazines. Usually they are on sale for around $5-550. I bought my WASR from them and as long as you make sure the front sight isn't canted you should be fine. My bolt was a bit sticky when I first got it but a couple hundred rounds fixed that problem.

If you want to get a milled AK go for it, however I don't really see a point to it especially if you are only gonna shoot once or twice a month. You can spend the money you save on the cost of the rifle for ammo/mount/optic/accessories. Just my opinion, either way I hope you are happy with whatever choice you pick.

Mail Clerk
12-18-2011, 2:24 PM
The list of open ranges is pretty god for us guys living in L.A.. Perhaps one day we all will meet. At the endo of the month I intend to re-shoot my newly replaced IO Casar and so far the replacelemt appears to be much superior. It's upoose to accept any AK mag but don't have the typical AK wobble. Maybe IO Casar did get their acts together.

Mail Clerk

m03
12-18-2011, 2:43 PM
I'll echo that Gun World is a bit overpriced.

For a shop close to LA, I'd suggest checking out PD Gun Supply & Tool (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2053+Glenoaks+Boulevard,+San+Fernando,+CA+9 1342&hl=en&sll=34.299043,-118.438698&sspn=0.01115,0.018561&vpsrc=0&hnear=2053+Glenoaks+Blvd,+San+Fernando,+Los+Angele s,+California+91342&t=h&z=16) in San Fernando...IIRC, they had a couple of Saiga AKs last time I went by. For a bigger selection, I agree that Rifle Gear (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18065+Mount+Shay+Street,+Fountain+Valley,+C A+92708&hl=en&sll=33.974115,-118.23761&sspn=0.716334,1.187897&vpsrc=0&hnear=18065+Mt+Shay+St,+Fountain+Valley,+Californi a+92708&t=h&z=16) is great.

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 5:44 PM
Very true about the milled vs stamped issue...im going for the original look so i dont wanna buy any gear...maybe some extra clips and a bayonet for when it goes up on my wall...for ammo im thinking of just buying alot so im always ready for that sudden urge to shoot my rifle..

Mail Clerk
12-18-2011, 5:56 PM
Very true about the milled vs stamped issue...im going for the original look so i dont wanna buy any gear...maybe some extra clips and a bayonet for when it goes up on my wall...for ammo im thinking of just buying alot so im always ready for that sudden urge to shoot my rifle..

elrey7698,

There ws a posting on this forum about the difference between milled and stamped receivers so if your willing you might try the search function to read the differences. As for ammo it sounds like you getting reay for 2012! Anyway good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

Mail Clerk

elrey7698
12-18-2011, 6:07 PM
elrey7698,

There ws a posting on this forum about the difference between milled and stamped receivers so if your willing you might try the search function to read the differences. As for ammo it sounds like you getting reay for 2012! Anyway good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

Mail Clerk

Ive actually looked at that thread and i learned alot...the best option for me is a good stamped ak...maybe not a wasr10 but i know that once i go to a good shop and get a good feel and i get to actually hold one i will pick the ONE..sound cliche but "the rifle will choose me"

longbeachskater
12-18-2011, 6:38 PM
CAUTION..... Never buy anything from Gunworld the prices they charge are ridiculous! I live in Burbank and willingly make the drive to rifle gear for all of my purchases or transfers! They stay in business because of their inventory and uninformed customers.

Thumbs up for rifle gear they are awesome^^

tanakasan
12-18-2011, 6:58 PM
+1 for Addax in San Fernando! Those guys (and Lale) are great!

A Place to Shoot (www.aplacetoshoot.net) in SCV is a nice, friendly outdoor range.

Robert

NorCalK9.com
12-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Wasr for 900 bUcks? Wow prices sure have rose on those things, maybe i'll keep my saiga 308 n sell my wasr for a great deal of 850 lol

Tisdel
02-05-2012, 8:41 AM
The list of open ranges is pretty god for us guys living in L.A.. Perhaps one day we all will meet. At the endo of the month I intend to re-shoot my newly replaced IO Casar and so far the replacelemt appears to be much superior....
Mail Clerk

Let us know how it works.

Also, let us know how it fires after 1,000-2,000 rounds. That's when both of my IO CASARs stopped firing. The trunnion rivets had bent so badly that the inside receiver path for the bolt carrier was lengthened, causing the bolt carrier to jam backwards into its posterior-most position.

This problem did not appear right away. Both rifles fired fairly well the 1st times I took them out. It took at least 500 rounds before the rivet-bending defect became problematic in either rifle.

Incidentally, the functional lengthening of the receiver (the inter-trunnion distance) also caused the dust cover to loosen and finally come off.

pacifico23
02-05-2012, 9:01 AM

That explains it! Gun World is like by far the most over priced shop I have ever been to. I saw an Xd there listed for 680.00 lolz.

I have a feeling I live in your neck of the woods. Do yourself a favor and just make the Drive to Riflegear. Even when including gas they have the best deals for Ak and saigas around LA in my opinion.

pacifico23
02-05-2012, 9:03 AM
Or even check out EBR works in newbury park. They had some beutif Saiga Conversions for sale a while back at a pretty darn good price.

Addax
02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Come by and see us at the shop, and we will be happy to help you out.

We are located in the city of San Fernando, and we are close to the 118, 210 and 5 fwy's.

We were one of the very first California Dealers to help bring in the Arsenal CA-AK rifles to the Southern California market, and we have been working on expanding our AK rifle and Saiga Carbine offerings for 2012.

Our prices are reasonable, and we go out of our way to help our clients with their firearms needs.

We order in a lot of different firearms for our clients that are not listed on our website, and we also facilitate transfers from companies like Atlantic, New Frontier and other FFL dealers.

Thanks,
Addax Tactical

FourLoko
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm tempted by the selection at Atlantic but would prefer the easy of a local buy.

If I finally cough up the money I'm going to have ADDAX order me up something nice from AK land.