PDA

View Full Version : AR Lower ?

icenix
12-18-2011, 8:43 AM
I know when you buy a handgun they will give you a cable lock.....do they do that with an AR Lower? I have to pick mine up this week and I haven't purchased a safe yet, so will I need to buy a cable lock, will one come with my lower (which was stripped), or is there some other way to go?

Thanks

FatalKitty
12-18-2011, 8:46 AM
all firearms require a safe or a lock.

you will need to buy one

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 10:24 AM
do not buy one before hand. many FFLs don't accept that. Just buy the lock when you pick up the lower

titleist16
12-18-2011, 12:15 PM
When I bought my lower they said you either have to have a safe or a gun lock with receipt that you purchased it in the last 30 days. If you dont have a gun lock, if you know somebody that has one just borrow it from them and write up a receipt that says you purchased it from them. Or you can buy one for about $7.00

707electrician
12-18-2011, 12:35 PM
do not buy one before hand. many FFLs don't accept that. Just buy the lock when you pick up the lower

Don't they have to accept it with a receipt if it was purchased within 30 days?

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 12:55 PM

No they do not. Yes the laws they CAN... the law doesnt FORCE them to... at least that is what the FFLs say when people bring locks in. You can also get a free lock from any Police station. Once again, the FFL doesnt have to accept that. I have no dea on which side of this issue your FFL is on.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Yes they do. I bring the lock, the less than 30 day old receipt, and a printout of the section of the law that says that a lock and a receipt is all I need. It works for me, but there are several posts on Calguns about FFLs who give you a hard time if you do this.

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 12:58 PM
No they do not. Yes the laws they CAN... the law doesnt FORCE them to... at least that is what the FFLs say when people bring locks in. You can also get a free lock from any Police station. Once again, the FFL doesnt have to accept that. I have no dea on which side of this issue your FFL is on.

Do you know any FFLs who won't accept a lock purchased eleswhere? If so, do you mind listing them?

d sauce
12-18-2011, 1:38 PM
When I bought my stripped lowers I had to buy 3 cable locks to accompany them, then I was able to return the locks to the same FFL after I locked them in the trunk of my car.

I have also had FFL's ask me what the make of my safe is and since I forgot he just said forget it and gave me a free cable lock to accompany my gun.

I had a buddy buy a cable lock from Big 5, go pick up his firearm and then return the unopened lock right after.

I have had so many different experiences with FFL's and cable locks. I even see inconsistencies at different shops depending on who helps me.

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 2:18 PM
Do you know any FFLs who won't accept a lock purchased eleswhere? If so, do you mine listing them?

no. just posts from people who say their FFL didnt accept it. search the forums.

duggan
12-18-2011, 3:35 PM
I buy the lock from the FFL, store the gun in the vehicle, walk back inside the store an tell the guy "I'd like to return this, it turns out I didn't need it". It's 50/50 on the attitude, depends on the guy behind the counter.

icenix
12-18-2011, 3:40 PM
I buy the lock from the FFL, store the gun in the vehicle, walk back inside the store an tell the guy "I'd like to return this, it turns out I didn't need it". It's 50/50 on the attitude, depends on the guy behind the counter.

lol

It's not expensive, so I will just pick one up at the place I am picking my lower up at.

shortround1
12-18-2011, 3:43 PM
I think most shops will allow you to bring your own lock with receipt less than 30 days old. The big chain stores like Turners and Big 5 seem to always be less up-to-date with the current laws. You can probably even go to a friend and buy a lock from them for $0.01 and write up a receipt with their signature and date. A good FFL will tell you exactly what you need to do at the beginning of the DROS.

This is an interesting thread in that; I didn't know you could go to a police station and get a free lock. I wonder if you can get some kind of receipt with it?