PDA

View Full Version : registered ar?

zxdriver
12-18-2011, 9:20 AM
bought a Americian Sprit arms ASA15 in 1999 thru an FFL agent. registered it with DOJ...that is the question...I sent my paper work to DOJ before the closing date. Never heard A thing from them. Is this gun legal? I have been told that the DOJ was to send me a card. IT was built as a flat top, long bull barrel for varmints by American Spirt. Can I bring this out of the vault and use it....or do I need to bury it.
I"m afraid to ask DOJ

I would like to do some 3 gun matches.

r3dn3ck
12-18-2011, 9:46 AM
put a bullet button on it and you won't really have to care either way.

brianm767
12-18-2011, 9:48 AM
The ASA model I see that is banned is the "USA" model, does your say model "USA" on the receiver?

If it is not banned by name, then as mentioned you need to go featureless or put a bullet button on it, if you use a bullet button, you can't use any mags that are over 10 rounds in it. If you go featureless you can use your legally owned high cap mags, if it is registered, you can find out by enquiring through the Ca DOJ, if this is the case, you can use high caps but there are other restrictions when it comes to use and transportation.

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 10:14 AM
if its not banned by name just take it apart for now. If it is, strip it down completely. Take the lower and package it up.

Contact DoJ (or any LEO friend) and ask to run your name through the AW data base. It will list all RAWs (Registered Assault Weapons) tied to you.

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 10:28 AM
bought a Americian Sprit arms ASA15 in 1999 thru an FFL agent. registered it with DOJ...that is the question...I sent my paper work to DOJ before the closing date. Never heard A thing from them. Is this gun legal? I have been told that the DOJ was to send me a card. IT was built as a flat top, long bull barrel for varmints by American Spirt. Can I bring this out of the vault and use it....or do I need to bury it.
I"m afraid to ask DOJ

I would like to do some 3 gun matches.

Not listed by name.
1) take it apart, separate the upper from the lower.
2) Contact DoJ and ask for a list of all AWs you registered. If they ask any question explain you have a rifle that could be configured as an AW but presently isnt.
3) If they say, "No, you have no AWs registered (RAW). Configure it as a normal rifle using a maglock or go featureless, remember the muzzle device can be a feature.

Listed by name as an AW
1) Take it apart, strip that lower to nothing, package it up for shipping.
2) Contact DoJ and ask for a list of all AWs you registered. If they ask any question explain you have a rifle that could be configured as an AW but presently isnt.
3) If they say, "No, you have no AWs registered (RAW). Contact one of the out of state vendors here and ship it to them. See if you can get a few bucks off of a OLL they sell. Don't get greedy, A stripped / used ASA lower is worth like $30.
4) assemble the rifle with the new OLL and a compliance device.

If the DoJ says the rifle is a RAW under your name, ask them to send you a copy of the paperwork. DO NOT ASSEMBLE THAT RIFLE ON THE WORD OF SOME CLERK WHO ANSWERED THE PHONE... WAIT FOR A COPY OF YOUR RAW PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU ASSEMBLE IT.

Sniper3142
12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Dieselpower's suggestion is the right one.

freonr22
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Asa is not named. The USA model is. They never made a USA model. It was a typo. The Asa is mentioned in the aw ag guide. The Roberto Roos list lists the USA model . The ag aw guide is a guide, not the LIST. SO even if it was not registered as an aw, it is an oll lower

bohoki
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
how did you pay for your registration i paid by check i saved the canceled check for evidence also asked for another letter from them i really should ask for another since i have two registered aks and one ar-15

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Asa is not named. The USA model is. They never made a USA model. It was a typo. The Asa is mentioned in the aw ag guide. The Roberto Roos list lists the USA model . The ag aw guide is a guide, not the LIST. SO even if it was not registered as an aw, it is an oll lower
cool, I didnt look up the reg to see if they were listed or not.

the exact model that is banned by name is listed as

American Spirit USA Model

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Just send DOJ a request asking them to send you a list of all guns registered to you. It's that simple. You will get an answer and then you'll know what you have to do.

Cokebottle
12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Funny... so it's the same as the Arsenal SLG/SGL debacle where the listed receiver doesn't even exist.

zxdriver
12-18-2011, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the infro. IT is marked ASA15 on the lower, not USA. I will have one of my LEO friends check. I did install a bb. Never thought to save the check...Quick books shows the check.

dieselpower
12-18-2011, 3:30 PM
Thanks for the infro. IT is marked ASA15 on the lower, not USA. I will have one of my LEO friends check. I did install a bb. Never thought to save the check...Quick books shows the check.

:threadjacked:

lets say the OP confirms the check was cashed by DoJ, yet DoJ says they have no record of his RAW... is this grounds to force registration now?

I remember getting finger printed too...

ke6guj
12-18-2011, 3:41 PM
there have been some reported cases where the registration was not completed by CADOJ, possibly because the info on the form was not clear, but that a phone call/letter was able to get the process finished.

SoCal Choppas
12-18-2011, 3:59 PM
When I registered my HK SL8-1, the DOJ sent me a return letter to confirm registration. I carry a copy of it in my rifle case and pdf file on a thumb drive