PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem in my lever action.

Garay002
12-18-2011, 1:38 AM
Hello everyone, I think I may have potential problem in my Marlin 1894. It's my first rifle so I'm not sure if I messed up bad or if its some sort of factory problem. Anyway, when I bought the rifle I cleaned and lubed it best I could and took it shooting the next day. I went through 200 rounds of 142gr FMJTC Fiocchi ammo. When I brought the rifle home I cleaned and lubed it then looked inside the barrel with a flashlight and saw this.

http://i.imgur.com/67f6N.jpg

Those marks and scratches go all the way to the back of the barrel, and on only two of the rifling lands. I'm not sure if this is normal or not since I can't find anything on this. Also, I didn't look into the barrel when I first bought it, so that was a dumb mistake, I don't know if those were already there.

I hope someone can give me a little help. Thanks.

baih777
12-18-2011, 4:39 AM
did you buy this new or used

EmmaGoldman
12-18-2011, 5:17 AM
looks a little rough. It seems to be a manufacturing imperfection rather than damage that has happened later.

If it shoots ok, I'd ignore it.

tujungatoes
12-18-2011, 6:37 AM
looks a little rough. It seems to be a manufacturing imperfection rather than damage that has happened later.

I agree it looks like left over tool marks from boring. Certainly not ideal, but IMO not a deal breaker if the rifle shoots well. If you bought it new you might consider talking to the people at marlin to see about having it replaced.

damon1272
12-18-2011, 6:39 AM
You can lap the barrel to get some of them out, or if it shoots good them continue to shoot it and don't worry about it.

Garay002
12-18-2011, 1:04 PM
did you buy this new or used

The gun was new.

I'm just a little scared of damaging it more, I can't focus on the middle of the barrel so I'm not sure whats going on there. I might take it in to a gunsmith to have him check it out soon.

Like I said, I'm new to firearms so I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. It just got me worried a bit when I first saw it, I haven't shot it since.

smittty
12-18-2011, 1:53 PM
Contact the manufacturer and have them deal with it. Don't give it to a gunsmith as they will charge you for their time. It's new and has a warranty, use the warranty!

The gun was new.

I'm just a little scared of damaging it more, I can't focus on the middle of the barrel so I'm not sure whats going on there. I might take it in to a gunsmith to have him check it out soon.

Like I said, I'm new to firearms so I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. It just got me worried a bit when I first saw it, I haven't shot it since.

mattt
12-18-2011, 2:35 PM
I own many levergun marlins and if it shoots dont worry about it. It is not a bolt gun that you want sub moa out of .

Snapping Twig
12-18-2011, 2:38 PM
Remington bought Marlin and shut down their plant and moved manufacturing to a new plant in N.Y. with an all new crew.

FWIW, get your money back - full refund.

The QC has stepped off the end of the Earth and no longer exists there, and as such Remington has totally shut down their production until they can sort it out.

Rifles returned for repair/replacement are most times no better off than the original defective one.

Find a used example made before 2010. Early to mid year 2009 rifles are OK, but anything before that is a real Marlin and well worth owning.

For further details I encourage you to check out the Marlin Owners Forum and do a search.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Garay002
12-18-2011, 4:09 PM
Remington bought Marlin and shut down their plant and moved manufacturing to a new plant in N.Y. with an all new crew.

FWIW, get your money back - full refund.

The QC has stepped off the end of the Earth and no longer exists there, and as such Remington has totally shut down their production until they can sort it out.

Rifles returned for repair/replacement are most times no better off than the original defective one.

Find a used example made before 2010. Early to mid year 2009 rifles are OK, but anything before that is a real Marlin and well worth owning.

For further details I encourage you to check out the Marlin Owners Forum and do a search.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Thanks for the info man, sadly I didn't fill out the warranty, I feel like a first class idiot right now. I just didn't expect anything to happen.... Man, I'm so disappointed right now... but thanks a bunch for the info, I'll see what I can do.

I own many levergun marlins and if it shoots dont worry about it. It is not a bolt gun that you want sub moa out of . You think its not that big of a deal? The rifling land seems to be pretty bad. The picture I put up doesn't really do it justice.