View Full Version : White Oak barrel AR-15...performed great. Opinions?

12-17-2011, 11:05 PM
At the range today to have some fun. Decided to zero for the cold weather.

16 inch White Oak 1/7 223 wylde chamber. 100 yards. Gun was 100+ rounds hot over thirty minutes.

A little shakey from the cold, but...
This is the gun:

77 grain Black Hills ammo The top target was three in less than ten seconds. (the flyer was from a different rifle, not this group) The bottom was two groups of five (as you can see I had to adjust the windage), each group of 5 was shot over a 30 second time span.

62 grain FMJBTHPThese were shot through the same gun with the zero set for the 77's. These are from Oak Tree Gun Club. They have some one do there reloads. This was four shots over a 10 to 12 second period. the flier in the top left i think was me. The round on the bottom was the last, but i had to stop short with this ammo, (I had a major problem with one round, but i would like to get more facts before i discuss it).

55 grain federal premium.
This is the 100 round box from walmart. Still at the 77 grain zero mark and it didnt do bad at all.

I was happy with the barrel. Granted it was only at 100 yards at "A Place to Shoot" green valley, but the barrel was dirty ( by a few hundred rounds), and it was nice and warm. But good and hot, it kept good groups through three different manufacturers and weights. Whats your opinions?

12-18-2011, 3:21 AM
Nice groups for that short barrel. With good handloads, you'll notice a big difference in group size also. WOA Makes great products. As it breaks in, it will only get better. If you reload, try either 69 gr SMK or Berger 70 VLD with 24.5 gn of Reloader 15. It's a good pet load that performes very well. See you there at APTS some time!!

12-18-2011, 6:38 AM
Nice, really like the look of the furniture you decided to go with.

12-18-2011, 9:35 AM
thank you

12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Try mounting your bipod as far forward on the handguard as you can and use a rear bag. Best load I found for the WOA barrel I had was 75-77gr, 24.3 varget, 2.25 COAL and I used PMC, LC and RP brass.