PDA

View Full Version : pss detachable mag kit????

THE 0NE
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
does anyone know of a mag kit conversion for a pss 308???????

adamsreeftank
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
does anyone know of a mag kit conversion for a pss 308???????

I believe there are two. The original was made by HS precision and it is OK. The latest one is made by Badger and it is supposed to be GREAT.

The HS one fits into a standard cutout in the PSS stock. The Badger needs to have the stock opened up.

I happen to have an HS setup with some spare mags almost unused. Let me know if you want it.

bwiese
03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I have heard good things about the HS Precision kit.

(I didn't know Badger did one too 'til now.)

Do NOT try to use Remington parts to do this. The "700PSS-DM" model was a miserable failure.

THE 0NE
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
thank you for the info....

pc_city
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
If you like cheap and flimsy there's this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0024317226539a.shtml

H-S Precision had problems with the casting and quit selling them until they resolved the problem.

50 Freak
03-07-2007, 1:13 PM
I have the HS kit and love it on my rifle. Only problem was the 10 round mags were a $100 bucks....Jeez, hope they have come down since last I checked.

Didn't know Badger had a kit.

JPglee1
03-07-2007, 1:14 PM
Someone say BADGER?

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

lol, sorry the devil made me do it.

J

xenophobe
03-07-2007, 1:24 PM
There was also a M1A mag conversion done by Robar, but it was very labor intensive and expensive and the mags needed to be specifically modified for the conversion. It was a top rate conversion though.

xenophobe
03-07-2007, 1:27 PM
Someone say BADGER?

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

lol, sorry the devil made me do it.

You BASTARD!!!!

now that's going to be playing on my computer for the next 5 hours

M1A Rifleman
03-07-2007, 1:29 PM
I have heard good things about the HS Precision kit.

(I didn't know Badger did one too 'til now.)

Do NOT try to use Remington parts to do this. The "700PSS-DM" model was a miserable failure.

Not sure where you got this, but my PSS-DM has worked perfectly. However, since Remingotn does not have a 10-rnd mag, I did convert to the HS Precision system and it also works fine. The HS steel trigerguard is nice and stronger than the flimsy Remington version. Its also neat to see that the new Military M24 uses the HS Precision mag.

xenophobe
03-07-2007, 1:37 PM
Not sure where you got this, but my PSS-DM has worked perfectly.

Too many complaints of these mags dropping under heavy use by PDs. That's why they were only incorporated in the PSS and LTRs and then discontinued after a year and a half.

bwiese
03-07-2007, 1:42 PM
Not sure where you got this, but my PSS-DM has worked perfectly.

I do note the sample size of 1; good for you if yours works OK.

Many many other folks had warned about this (snipercountry, etc.) when I was looking into this awhile back.

Remington even pulled the DM model due to poor rep.

M1A Rifleman
03-07-2007, 2:06 PM
LEO use or more likely abuse. I did hear this rumor once. I know Remington did drop the DM from the PSS, however they do have it in other hunting models, and my experience was perfect feeding until I reversed the mag spring.

Gunsrruss
03-07-2007, 2:50 PM
I have the HS on my PSS:) My only problem is the expence of the 10 rd Mags. I know the military can afford $110 for a mag:eek: I only bought one. I could use two;) Glad I went with the HS Precision:cool:

Prince50
03-07-2007, 3:16 PM
+1 on the HSP conversion.

Steel floorplate is nice, and the 2 10 round mags are flawless. At $100 each they better be.

Never had even one feeding issue with this setup. Never invested in the 4 round box mag, as I wanted 10 rounders only.

It is cheaper to buy the kit with a 10 round mag then to buy the kit with the 4 rounder and buy the 10 later. It is not usually listed on the HS site that way, but call and HS will modify the price for you and keep their 4 round box mag.

Go for it, it is great!

Get one of their stocks too. Now you will have doubled theprice of your rifle with stock/mag/triggerguard kit, but it is worth it.

Darin

tiger222
03-07-2007, 3:34 PM
my shooting buddy is eyeing the badger system - thought they only with with the Mcmillan stocks though???

they (badgers) are not cheap $3-400? but they do use AI mags with are very good :)

personally - if you are spending that much, might as well just get an AICS, and what the heck, get the 2.0!!

xenophobe
03-07-2007, 3:50 PM
they (badgers) are not cheap $3-400? but they do use AI mags with are very good :)

Be careful, not all AI mags are interchangeable.

tiger222
03-07-2007, 4:15 PM
Be careful, not all AI mags are interchangeable.

that's right! do they use the AI AW or the AICS for the short action? - long action is a no brainer though...

xenophobe
03-07-2007, 4:32 PM
that's right! do they use the AI AW or the AICS for the short action?

I'm not sure, but one of my friends bought two mags for $300 and they ended up being the wrong mags for the Badger conversion...

Mute
03-07-2007, 6:46 PM
If you're only going to use it at the range, you can probably live with the HS, but if you plan to use it in the field and you're rough with your equipment, I suggest you go with the Badger system. The Badger system uses AICS mags on short actions and IIRC, AI AW mags for the long actions.

CamW
03-07-2007, 7:22 PM
I have the Badger Ordnance kit on my .308 and it works great.It uses AICS mags and 5 and 10 round mags are available.My hunting partner has a HS kit and it works fine for him.4 and 10 round mags are available, but have been hard to get lately.
Here is a photo of my .308 with the Badger Ordnance kit and a 10 rnd mag and my .223 with a JAG Mag kit and a 20 rnd Mini 14 mag.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8294/a3twins2bb.jpg

Sniper3142
03-07-2007, 7:26 PM
If you want the best then get the BADGER bottom metal one. It uses the same magazines has the AICS (5 & 10 round).

The H S Precision one is... okay. :(

I had one of the early ones in my 300WM. The magazine would drop out after almost every shot. H S replaced the unit with one that has a stronger spring. It functioned okay but I never truly trusted it again and soon after replaced it and the H S stock with an AICS 2.0. :)

adamsreeftank
03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
my shooting buddy is eyeing the badger system - thought they only with with the Mcmillan stocks though???

You can order a McMillan stock pre-inletted for the Badger bottom metal, but you can also modify other stocks to work. I used a Dremel to open the bottom of the HS stock on my LTR for a Badger bottom plate. I used JBWeld to bed it so it fits rock solid. The hardest part was getting an even level cut on the metal insert in the stock.