PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness unlimited?

chickenfried
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Any members here? Are you happy with your membership? Looking for access to land for pig hunting.

edwardm
03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
I've had a full membership for about a year and a half now. Haven't had much time to go after pigs, but I know some of the properties are loaded with them. Other properties I've hunted had plenty of fresh sign (droppings and rootings), but never saw any pigs. Still trying to get my first boar.

I used it extensively for quail hunting this past season and had a blast. Those little suckers are fast and the only downside was burning up cases of 12 gauge like there was no tomorrow. :)

Worth it, IMO, if you're willing to put the time in. This deer season will be telling for me, though.

Any members here? Are you happy with your membership? Looking for access to land for pig hunting.

jemaddux
03-07-2007, 1:23 PM
I've had a full membership for about a year and a half now. Haven't had much time to go after pigs, but I know some of the properties are loaded with them. Other properties I've hunted had plenty of fresh sign (droppings and rootings), but never saw any pigs. Still trying to get my first boar.

I used it extensively for quail hunting this past season and had a blast. Those little suckers are fast and the only downside was burning up cases of 12 gauge like there was no tomorrow. :)

Worth it, IMO, if you're willing to put the time in. This deer season will be telling for me, though.

So far I have been happy with them. Went a did some pig hunting and saw a few running for it. I know a few people who got turkey and A LOT of quail. I also hunted a couple f the properties last deer eason and saw many people do very well. I didn't because my truck was down, now its back and I can get back to some of the areas good for hunting.

James

capitol
03-07-2007, 1:30 PM
Do the properties allow the use of quads?

edwardm
03-07-2007, 2:22 PM
It varies by property, but each one I've looked at in my club binder says "No" to ATVs.

Do the properties allow the use of quads?

Pablo
03-07-2007, 3:41 PM
I have been a member of WU for less than a year and so far I'm really happy with the membership.
Unfortunately I don't have a truck so to get access to some of the properties I have to walk, lucky for me I like to walk and when I go hunting I end up walking the whole day!

This are some pics of one of the many WU properties.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/435836.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=435836&c=500&z=1)
http://www.hunt101.com/img/435835.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=435835&c=500&z=1)

03-07-2007, 3:58 PM
Could someone post the cost or PM me with it? I got a brochure and checked out the website but they don't list the prices and wanted my phone number. Poor marketing if you ask me, in this day and age I rarely set myself up for a sales pitch.

scombs263
03-07-2007, 6:58 PM
I too would like to know the cost and number of properties in So Cal.....Thanks

edwardm
03-07-2007, 7:58 PM
Uhm. Try calling them, maybe?

I too would like to know the cost and number of properties in So Cal.....Thanks

Pablo
03-08-2007, 1:56 AM
Something that I really like about WU is that they have a lot of properties, some of which are really big.
I usually like to go hunting during the week, 2-3 days is enough for me. Most of the time I'm the only hunter out there, this is really nice specially because I really don't have a lot of experience so I need all the advantage I can get! Less hunters means more chances for me of bagging a deer or a pig. :)

http://www.hunt101.com/img/435840-big.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=435840&c=500&z=1)

03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
edwardm- Must be some huge secret then huh?

Company won't list the price on any literature or website, members won't mention price they paid even when asked- Sounds like the "Free Weekend Timeshare trip" to me.

Thanks but I've had it up to my neck in sales pitches from clowns that couldn't even sell used cars.

Pablo
03-08-2007, 2:09 PM
edwardm- Must be some huge secret then huh?

Company won't list the price on any literature or website, members won't mention price they paid even when asked- Sounds like the "Free Weekend Timeshare trip" to me.

Thanks but I've had it up to my neck in sales pitches from clowns that couldn't even sell used cars.

I don't get it... just grab the phone and call them. If you don't like the price just say "No, Thanks". Seriously there's no big secret here.

Regarding the membership price it all depends of the type of membership you want i.e. Full membership, camping and fishing, big game and bird membership. In my case, I have the BG and C&F membership. My point is that the price of the membership depends of the type of membership you want.

pinheadbob2002
03-08-2007, 2:52 PM
[QUOTE=461;527452]edwardm- Must be some huge secret then huh?

Here it goes-
It is over 1,000 to become a member - and a full member's package for you only is over 1,000 a year. Happy now!
They have lots of rules on what you can and can not do - when you are on there sites. Do not think you can go to a site and find a place to shoot targets. They will not allow this. You will be hunting on people's farm land - and need to respect that fact. So no ATV's - no off roding in your SUV's, etc. They look for people who will respect the fact they are guests on land some one else is using to make a living on.
It is a good deal if you like to hunt allot and do not want to pay trophy fees. So if you hunt a lot and pay fees – it will add up to $1000 fast.
They will also ask for references to make sure you are not a total idiot. So they have a formal interview process – this is why they do not post what it will cost. I do not know if they reject people – but they might if they feel you will mess up there business.

Boarding-Team-Leader
03-08-2007, 3:26 PM
Membership covers the members of your family also.
I have been a member for over ten years.

Make a phone call and set up an interview if interested in the price and details. You are not shopping at a store you are seeking membership in a club.

The good fishing was not mentioned in the above post. How many steelhead have you caught? That is one of the real secrets....
BTL

edwardm
03-08-2007, 5:26 PM
Some of the properties allow you to sight in/target shoot. Circle V Ranch comes to mind. They actually have a somewhat decent range with steel plates. Only problem is sometimes the cows like to occupy the range. :) In fact, they have a meat cooler there you can use too.

All things considered, I don't think a rancher or WU staff is going to gripe if you sight in your rifle and then clean up after yourself (brass and targets). Before I became a member, I went with my dad quite often and we would do just that.

alcmaeon
03-08-2007, 5:32 PM
FWIW

I have never been a member and can't tell you about that, however I can tell you why I decided not to pursue membership.

I talked to a guy from WU at the San Mateo Expo Sportsmen's show in 2006 and liked what I heard initially-- enough to give the guy my phone number. He did mention at that time that he couldn't talk price at the show. I was ok with that though it sent up a little warning flag. So he calls me up to set up a meeting. We start to chat and I again ask him about prices, which I can't remember the exact amount of but it was more than a $1000 in a one time fee and than there were yearly costs at over $1000. He changes the subject to how he wants me to have my wife at the meeting. I mention that she could care less about hunting or fishing and any activity or club centered on hunting and fishing and so she would not be at our meeting. This seems to really bother him so he starts pushing the matter. Why does it matter if she is there I ask, he wouldn’t give me a specific answer to that and boom it hits me, this is exactly like the high pressure sales you get for timeshares. Red flag goes off again I ask him what membership turnover is like and he will not talk about that, even Bally's will tell you how many active memberships a particular club has, it shouldn't be a secret.
So I was over with at that point. I said I had changed my mind, he said ok and we were done.

That does not make them either good or evil in my book; it was just way to much like the time share guys for me to advance my interest.

pinheadbob2002
03-08-2007, 5:37 PM
Some of the properties allow you to sight in/target shoot. Circle V Ranch comes to mind. They actually have a somewhat decent range with steel plates. Only problem is sometimes the cows like to occupy the range. :) In fact, they have a meat cooler there you can use too.

All things considered, I don't think a rancher or WU staff is going to gripe if you sight in your rifle and then clean up after yourself (brass and targets). Before I became a member, I went with my dad quite often and we would do just that.

wow
thats good to know

03-08-2007, 6:45 PM
Alcmaeon- That's exactly what I saw coming and exactly why I don't bother to call anyone that can't give an upfront cost on their product.

For you folks that finally gave out some semblance of the price, thank you. was it really that tough? And I guarantee I've got less time invested in a few posts on here than I would have wasted with a B.S. sales pitch from whoever answered the phone and still wouldn't have gotten a direct answer.

popndrop
06-23-2007, 8:56 AM
I just thought I'd add my 1.5 cents...

I just met with a guy for WU last week, first time meeting and all that.
I have to tell you, there was NO HIGH PRESSURE SALES involved in this meeting. I'm a sales guy myself, so I am always sensitive to getting SOLD something...this just wasn't the case in this situation. The guy came out after meeting him at the shooting expo at Rahagues a few weeks back, called first to talk for a few, set the appt and showed up right on time. He was very easy going, explained the whole program to me, answered all of my questions throughly. He did ask to meet my wife, but it was because she needed to sign a form as a member (waiver), he never tried to sell her the program (I had to do that ;)).

When it comes to price, the reason nobody wants to tell you what it costs is that everybody's cost is different, depending on when you join (they fix your cost for life if you keep your membership active). For example, my costs as a new member this year are probably more than the guys who joined from previous years. So in order to get the real price you have to talk with someone from WU.

I'd say this, the going rate is north of $3000 first year with about half that on a per year basis for life. That is for the full access program, big game, birds, fishing, camping, etc...the whole shebang-ola.

If you're really serious about hunting, as I am - you have 2 choices, you can spend TIME, or you can spend MONEY (in some cases you can spend both) if you want to hunt in California. Meaning this, you either have to put in a great deal of time hunting on public land, and I do mean a GREAT amount of TIME...don't expect results unless you're able to live with the 13% success ratios that you get in Cali on big game - that means that about 1 in 10 of your trips may be a success (that's a lot of time). Or you can pay to play...I've paid guides, I've leased duck blinds (i had one last year that cost me $4000, and I think that we shot 6 birds out of it, those were very expensive birds), and I've had to travel out of state in order to get to hunt...so all of those alternatives cost money.

But with all of those, you are very limited to what you get, guides let you hunt one thing, duck blinds - one thing, out of state, etc...but what about when you want to go out and shoot some quail, try for a pig, and then shoot some squirrels, and then maybe stay up and try to get a 'yote or 2...this WU program seems to be the solution to that problem...and at a reasonable cost. And they quote a 78% success ratio on big game - so that means i'll have to spend less TIME to put meat in the freezer.

Since I live in SoCal, all of my hunting trips are going to cost me TIME, and usually a lot of it (at least 6 hours of driving each way for anything that walks, and min 3.5 hours for flying things) I already have a hard enough time to get to the places that i'm hunting, so I can't really afford to take 10 trips in order to see 1 pig...the numbers just don't work out for me. Now, if you live in Paso, and have to drive 15 min to hunt, then sure, it's probably reasonable to take the 1:10 odds, because, even worst-case you're all-in at under what it takes me to make 1 trip. But for those of us who aren't so blessed, WU is a good alternative.

and no, you can't have my other half a cent.

thanks,

pnd

Camham
01-25-2008, 9:13 AM
Popndrop-
How was your first year as a member of Widerness Unlimited? I'm thinking of joining but for a $3000ish investment I'm finding ALOT of mixed reviews out there.

Flux Capacitor
01-25-2008, 10:03 AM
I just thought I'd add my 1.5 cents...

I just met with a guy for WU last week, first time meeting and all that.
I have to tell you, there was NO HIGH PRESSURE SALES involved in this meeting. I'm a sales guy myself, so I am always sensitive to getting SOLD something...this just wasn't the case in this situation. The guy came out after meeting him at the shooting expo at Rahagues a few weeks back, called first to talk for a few, set the appt and showed up right on time. He was very easy going, explained the whole program to me, answered all of my questions throughly. He did ask to meet my wife, but it was because she needed to sign a form as a member (waiver), he never tried to sell her the program (I had to do that ;)).

When it comes to price, the reason nobody wants to tell you what it costs is that everybody's cost is different, depending on when you join (they fix your cost for life if you keep your membership active). For example, my costs as a new member this year are probably more than the guys who joined from previous years. So in order to get the real price you have to talk with someone from WU.

I'd say this, the going rate is north of $3000 first year with about half that on a per year basis for life. That is for the full access program, big game, birds, fishing, camping, etc...the whole shebang-ola.

If you're really serious about hunting, as I am - you have 2 choices, you can spend TIME, or you can spend MONEY (in some cases you can spend both) if you want to hunt in California. Meaning this, you either have to put in a great deal of time hunting on public land, and I do mean a GREAT amount of TIME...don't expect results unless you're able to live with the 13% success ratios that you get in Cali on big game - that means that about 1 in 10 of your trips may be a success (that's a lot of time). Or you can pay to play...I've paid guides, I've leased duck blinds (i had one last year that cost me $4000, and I think that we shot 6 birds out of it, those were very expensive birds), and I've had to travel out of state in order to get to hunt...so all of those alternatives cost money.

But with all of those, you are very limited to what you get, guides let you hunt one thing, duck blinds - one thing, out of state, etc...but what about when you want to go out and shoot some quail, try for a pig, and then shoot some squirrels, and then maybe stay up and try to get a 'yote or 2...this WU program seems to be the solution to that problem...and at a reasonable cost. And they quote a 78% success ratio on big game - so that means i'll have to spend less TIME to put meat in the freezer.

Since I live in SoCal, all of my hunting trips are going to cost me TIME, and usually a lot of it (at least 6 hours of driving each way for anything that walks, and min 3.5 hours for flying things) I already have a hard enough time to get to the places that i'm hunting, so I can't really afford to take 10 trips in order to see 1 pig...the numbers just don't work out for me. Now, if you live in Paso, and have to drive 15 min to hunt, then sure, it's probably reasonable to take the 1:10 odds, because, even worst-case you're all-in at under what it takes me to make 1 trip. But for those of us who aren't so blessed, WU is a good alternative.

and no, you can't have my other half a cent.

thanks,

pnd

My solution is to drive out of state. Plenty of game out there. Much easier too. Feels better not to give into "the man." I'd rather spend it on gas and nonresident fees

tacticalcity
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
My father had the very first membership sold. He owned a printing company at the time and when they were first getting started they hired him to print up their marketing materials. He gave them a discount in exchange for the first membership. He doesn't hunt any more, got a little soft hearted in his old age. Never the less that organization has always been good to him. He still goes to their anual Christmas dinner everyonce in a while just to catch up with his old friends there. They are very nice people.