PDA

View Full Version : Does 10.5 + 5.5 legally = 16"

ZedOddSix
12-17-2011, 5:21 PM
Calgunners,

I have a question. I want to build a new AR combining the two systems below. If the Fake Can is permanently attached, will it be legal? I asked the guy behind the counter at a local shop and he said it would not be because the barrel itself would have to be 16" and that the Fake Can would not count as part of the barrel. Ironicaly I was holding his 14.5" Noveske with a pinned muzzle device the whole time we were discussing the issue.

I would really appreciate some help on this one from the smart people here.

Thanks

BTW: the barrel is 10.5" and the Fake Can is 5.5".

WW2Buff
12-17-2011, 5:24 PM
Yes. It will be good to go.

WW2Buff
12-17-2011, 5:26 PM
PS. Make sure the device (be it a brake of flash hider) be permed as well.

dieselpower
12-17-2011, 5:26 PM
drop a rod down the barrel on the face of the closed Bolt, mark the spot on the exposed end. measure. 16" is legal if the muzzle device (any device) is attached as per BATFE ruling on what is permanent.

edit ^ agree the whole barrel must be ONE PIECE after the attachment is made permanent

vta
12-17-2011, 5:36 PM
The fake can would need to be longer to take into consideration the threaded area of the barrel will over lap the can.

lorax3
12-17-2011, 5:48 PM
Yes, but you must follow ATF guidelines (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf) on attachments and measurement.

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured

ZedOddSix
12-17-2011, 5:50 PM
The fake can would need to be longer to take into consideration the threaded area of the barrel will over lap the can.

Taking into account things like this, does anyone know how/where to get the numbers I would need to build this correctly, and take the guessing game out of it?

tomd1584
12-17-2011, 6:50 PM
10.5" + 5.5" will not get you 16". You need to account for the approx. 1/2" thread overlap.

darkest2000
12-17-2011, 7:01 PM
you need to figure out the actual length to be sure. A lot of times the factory length is only an approximation, for example the barrel extension itself gives you a slight boost in length that may not be factored in.

And as mentioned before the threaded area also overlapses, however your 5.5" fake can may have already considered that so it may very well be 5.75"~ 6" in actual length.

frigginchi
12-17-2011, 7:41 PM
I'm assuming the fake can is aluminum. How are you going to bond it to steel? Does blind pinning work the same way with aluminum?

If you got a 16" barrel and a slip over faux can you would get the same effect plus have a removable muzzle device and peace of mind about being legal.

ZedOddSix
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm assuming the fake can is aluminum. How are you going to bond it to steel? Does blind pinning work the same way with aluminum?

If you got a 16" barrel and a slip over faux can you would get the same effect plus have a removable muzzle device and peace of mind about being legal.

The main reason I want to build it this way is because I probably won't be stationed here in Ca much longer and want the option of a SBR. I'm not really sure on the mechanics of how to permanently affix it but isn't high temp soldering a option? I assume that would work with aluminum.

ke6guj
12-17-2011, 10:04 PM
easiest would probably be to blind pin and weld the aluminum extension to the barrel. then, when you get your SBR Form 4 approved, you can remove the extension. In the end, you'd only have a small dimple in the threads where the blind pin was.