View Full Version : Feeding issue with a brand new M1a National Match

12-16-2011, 1:54 PM
My Wife gave me my Christmas Present early today. I have to work Christmas and she and Baby boy will go to Tennessee to see the Oldest kids and Grandbabies while I keep the electricity on here in Alabama.
I decided to feed a couple of rounds thru the rifle to see how she shoots. I'm using 150 gr. Remington core lokt...Its what they had at wally-world.
I load the mag. with ten rds., cycle one in the chamber and holler "fire in the hole".....Easy squeeeeeese, SNAP!
What the....
Pull the bolt back, bolt didnt pick up a round from the mag. No Biggie. Cycle and checked this time...we are good, round in the chamber.
"Hund Schisse!"
Count 10 and pull the bolt. The primer has a faint indentation and the brass is chewed up somewhat around the taper between the neck and case body AND the lead nose is "smushed" like it plowed ramping into the chamber.
I figure its a couple of things:
1. Brand new rifle needs to be "broke-in". Its tight and will loosen up with a few heat / cool cycles.
2. The rifle likes ball ammo only. I had a long barrel NMH-91 and a couple of Maddhis that would shoot soft-tip or hollow points only if the mag was loaded to alternate between FMJ and the other.
3. Could this be a magizine issue?
I know its not a good idea, but, I pipe-fed a dozen rounds thru it just to isolate the cause/problem. It fires beautifuly and held a 1" group out of the box with no adjustments whatever @ 100yds. (its the rifle, not me)
I just ordered 400 rounds of surplus non-corrosive ball ammo, maybe that will help.
Any ideas/suggestions?

12-16-2011, 2:18 PM
Disclaimer: I have no faith in Remmington ammo. I won't bring it up again.

Could be the mag. Got another one to try?

Is it seated correctly, i.e did you tilt it in and it locked?

Is the trigger group installed correctly? It can cause the mag to not align if it's not in correctly.

12-16-2011, 2:37 PM
Nope, came with only one mag. Mag is inserted properly. If the trigger group was the problem I dont think it would fire pipe-fed, however, I will check. Wow! I know only one other fellow who absolutely hates Rem. ammo. He likes Winchester when were too broke to shoot re-loads.
Thanks Bud!

12-16-2011, 8:05 PM
Ditto on staying away from remington ammo. Make sure the mag is in all the way (hooked in the front) or it will cause feeding and crushing issues. It is alot easier to have mag insertion problems with the short ten round mags.

12-16-2011, 8:39 PM
Oh god, not another Remington ammo thread. Just don't shoot soft points in your rifle. Is this the ammo's fault? no. The angle at which the round feeds (from this rifle) forces the nose of the bullet into the top inside the chamber. I know several M1A's who does not like Soft points, Including mines, my dads, and my friend's brother. Of course there are some that shoot it well, although not 100%
Also, you probably babied your charging handle back which is why that first round got a light primer strike. The bolt never went into battery.

pennys dad
12-16-2011, 8:40 PM
Was out at the range this morning with my M1A. The mag not seating well caused a few clicks, my son was not getting a firm seat. When he figured it out, it ran lit a champ. Later he told me he switched mags because the newest one was sticking and seating well.
We where using old surplus ammo, which reminds me I need to get some bore cleaner in there.

12-17-2011, 4:37 AM
Thanks for the info, Fellas. Fusionstar, I know better than to baby the bolt on an auto loader...thats my pet peave with my wife and daughter. Slam that thing!
Its looking more and more like a mag. issue. Going to pick up 50 rounds today and hopefully still have enough daylight to punch paper after going with the better half Christmas shopping.
I may try to pick up an extra mag or two. Do I need to stay away from non-Springfield mags?
Lastly, I wasn't aware there was a problem with Remington ammo...I must have had my head under a rock or something given the response! I dont use Rem. much and the only reason I did this time is because it was the only thing wally-world had in stock that wasn't 180gr.
God Bless and Merry Christmas, ya'll!

12-17-2011, 6:28 AM
My M1A Scout eats anything but doesn't like any mags other than Springfields. I have 3 or 4 aftermarket ones and the guys over at M14.com claim that this vendor is the one that makes Springfields for them. May be, but none of the four want to seat worth a darn and the Springfield mags all click in and seat nicely.

If it has to go back, rest assured Springfields warranty is second to none. The bolt kept locking back on my Scout. Springfield e-mailed me a Fedex label, I shipped it back, they replaced the whole receiver and sent it back to me. Whole evolution didn't cost me a dime and the rifle shoots better than ever.

12-17-2011, 8:09 AM
My money is on the ammo. Put a FMJ round in the magazine and I bet it will feed fine. The shape/profile of the bullet is important to proper feeding.

Coyote Brown
12-17-2011, 8:19 AM
The marks on the case and , nose slam , leads me to think it is a mag problem.

12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
You state: "Feeding issue with a brand new M1a National Match"
The key word is Match, which means a tighter chamber. It would be best to buy Match ammo that will fit the chamber better. Also you will benefit with better groupings.
A freind of mine had an upgraded M1A, not sure if Match but his rifle jammed up and we had to disassemble the rifle to clear it.
I have an M-25 and all I will shoot out of her is Match ammo. Costlier but at least it will not damage the chamber with odd speced ammo. IMHO
Good Luck

12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Sounds to me like a magazine problem.

When I first got my M1A, I bought some new and used 20 round USGI mags, and a 10 round SA magazine. They all work fine, although some can be removed from the gun easier than others.

Over the years I've read that many feeding problems on M1As can be traced back to commercial magazines (specifically some Korean made ones), and sticking to USGI magazines will get you the most reliable operation.

12-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Update: I bought some ball ammo and picked up a couple of 20 rd. mags from a local sportsmans shop....I do not buy from the large chains and make no apology for it!
The mags are made by National Magazine and the salesman acknowledges some aftermarket mag problems. He swears by these and offers a full refund if they dont work. I had 3 hangs in the stock 10 rd.mag with the ball ammo and one each in the aftermarket mags. With the aftermarket mags, the bolt wasn't traveling completely to the stop. I'd give her a little slap on the handle and away we go. The stock mag I had to pull the bolt back and lock it ....the round would hang about mid-stroke under the bolt.
I fired another clip-full today and had no issues whatever. Good thing too, I was showing the rifle off to some friends!
I have 2 Springfield 20rd. mags on the way just in case.
Thanks for the help, Fellas!
God Bless and Merry Christmas,

12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
The only current production magazines I will buy for my M14/M1a rifles are from Checkmate Industries (CMI).

Enjoy the new rifle!