View Full Version : Possible Thumb Hole Stock?

03-06-2007, 8:30 PM
I tried one of my new MM grips on my HAR-25. The reciever is about half an inch longer than a standard reciever, where the end of the grip housing is and the stock housing starts, creating a half inch gap between the grip and the stock.
I was not able to get my thumb between the stock and grip, see pics, neither my wife. However my 6yr daughter was able to, creating a bad situation :eek: . I have since removed the grip. What do you think? It's too boarderline for me.

03-06-2007, 8:45 PM
To me it looks a little funky on the 308. I am not sure if it would be considered a thumb hole or not. Like the U-15, there technically is no "Hole" in the stock or the grip. That is just the space between the grip and stock. What distance of space is considered a "hole". Does it need to be a actual hole?

I am not sure if I like how it looks on that lower. I think it might be better to stick with the AR15 type lowers with the MMG.

I guess it is up to the user.

As for the space, if it makes you feel uncomfortable, plug it up with something. I like this stuff you can get at OSH called "pro-poxy 20". It dries steel hard. It is a putty-clay type material that you knead together and you can sculpt it how ever you want. I would just screw some little screws into the top of the fin, leaving part of the screw sticking up so the pro-poxy has something to bite onto and then plug the gap. Paint it black (just the plug, not the whole grip) and then, no more space.

It's not really that hard.

03-06-2007, 8:47 PM
i think its fine,since an actual pistol grip hold is your thumb touching your index finger.so what you have in the pic is not a true pistol grip hold,but if you still feel kinda sketchy you could fill in the gap between the mmg and the buttstock imo.

03-06-2007, 8:49 PM
I don't see a hole or an O. I see a space. The grip and stock are seperate. If anything to be worried about it would be to have the ability to get the web of the hand below the top of the exposed trigger (pistol grip defination). I don't think you can do that either.

03-06-2007, 8:52 PM
I want to see a picture of your 6 year old with a finger on the trigger with her thumb through the hole. :D

03-06-2007, 8:54 PM
Even with your thumb tip tying to stick in that space with the web below the line, it would be hard to consider it a "pistol style grasp" IMO. It would be very uncomfortable to shoot it that way.

Some people feel comfortable putting the MMG on ACE stocks and PRS stocks, and there is a space there also. It is up to them. I always recommend that everyone uses the A2 stock with em.

James R.
03-06-2007, 8:54 PM
Time to get a bullet button and put a proper pistol grip back on the rifle IMHO.

James R.

03-06-2007, 11:52 PM
I agree, it is a little too close for comfort. Fair it in with some fiberglass.

03-07-2007, 1:29 AM
I want to see a picture of your 6 year old with a finger on the trigger with her thumb through the hole. :D

or that stretchy dude from FANTASTIC 4... lol....