PDA

View Full Version : Lower multi or .223

ParanoidCivilian
12-16-2011, 2:09 PM
My local shop has lowers that say caliber- multi and some lowers just say caliber- .223, which one will work with a 5.56 upper?

I did not see any that said 5.56

glenntuc
12-16-2011, 2:11 PM
they are all the same, 556 223 are the same+-

Spoilerv2
12-16-2011, 2:11 PM
Both.

Bhobbs
12-16-2011, 2:17 PM
The lower receiver really has no bearing on what round you can run other than what fits through the mag well. Buy the lower and then worry about caliber when you pick the upper. That's where the differences between 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington matter.

roushstage2
12-16-2011, 2:31 PM
As long as it is an AR-15 lower receiver, you're GTG.

slo5oh
12-16-2011, 3:55 PM
they are all the same, 556 223 are the same+-

5.56 and .223 are not the same.

OP,
As other have stated, the AR15 lower you buy will work with whatever caliber you decide to use it with. I'd stick with a lower that says "multi" or one that doesn't list a caliber at all. What caliber round you use will be determined by your upper receiver and barrel. There are uppers in 5.56, .223, .22, 6.5 Grendel, .50 Beowulf, 300 blackout, etc.

The subject of 5.56 vs .223 comes up all the time. The short and sweet is:
-If you have a 5.56 barrel you're ok using .223, though you're better off using 5.56
-If you have a .223 barrel you should NOT use 5.56 it is unsafe.

stix213
12-16-2011, 4:19 PM
5.56 and .223 are not the same.

OP,
As other have stated, the AR15 lower you buy will work with whatever caliber you decide to use it with. I'd stick with a lower that says "multi" or one that doesn't list a caliber at all. What caliber round you use will be determined by your upper receiver and barrel. There are uppers in 5.56, .223, .22, 6.5 Grendel, .50 Beowulf, 300 blackout, etc.

The subject of 5.56 vs .223 comes up all the time. The short and sweet is:
-If you have a 5.56 barrel you're ok using .223, though you're better off using 5.56
-If you have a .223 barrel you should NOT use 5.56 it is unsafe.

The thread is about lowers, so in that regard the lower is in fact the same no matter what it says. Except of course if it says .308 :p

OutlawStar
12-16-2011, 4:31 PM
So we've identified that physically it doesn't matter what your lower says, but isnt there a legal reason between 5.56, .223, and multi-cal for long rifle, AR pistol, and larger caliber (such as 300 AAC BLK) so the BATFE know what kind of firearm you're wielding?

Federal
12-16-2011, 4:49 PM
Buy the one that says "Multi". Why?
Later on in the near future, you might want to convert your rifle into a .22 caliber, or 9mm.. Or whatever!
Point is, once you go .22 you will no longer need / want to use the bullet button, and you will be able to remove it legally without any type of hassle since your rifle does not say if it's center fire or rimfire specifically..
Just "Multi" caliber..

If that makes any sense..

Key word: (without any type of hassle)

vintagearms
12-16-2011, 5:06 PM
Shakes head....Doesn't matter one bit what caliber it says on it unless its for .308.

Fjold
12-16-2011, 5:08 PM
It doesn't matter if it says 223, 5.56, Multi or Baby Koala Killer on the lower. Legally and mechanically you can use any upper chambered for any cartridge that will fit inside the magazine well.

Actually, legally you can use any cartridge except for a destructive device (without a sporting exemption) and the 50 BMG if you want to go with a single shot. You could even go with the 50 BMG if you build the lower as a pistol or "other" weapon.

repubconserv
12-16-2011, 5:18 PM
Buy the one that says "Multi". Why?
Later on in the near future, you might want to convert your rifle into a .22 caliber, or 9mm.. Or whatever!
Point is, once you go .22 you will no longer need / want to use the bullet button, and you will be able to remove it legally without any type of hassle since your rifle does not say if it's center fire or rimfire specifically..
Just "Multi" caliber..

If that makes any sense..

Uhhhhh, NO?

IIRC it does not matter what the lower says, whatever it is shooting is what caliber it is. Example: an AR-15 lower could say "50 BMG only" and it would still be Cali legal as long as it does not have 50 bmg upper on it. So a lower does not have to be designated as "multi" to make taking the BB off legal for a 22 lr conversion.

An AR lower with "223" on the side could legally have ANY caliber upper put on it (so long as the rifle is configured legally and using a legal CA caliber)

repubconserv
12-16-2011, 5:19 PM
It doesn't matter if it says 223, 5.56, Multi or Baby Koala Killer on the lower. Legally and mechanically you can use any upper chambered for any cartridge that will fit inside the magazine well.

Actually, legally you can use any cartridge except for a destructive device (without a sporting exemption) and the 50 BMG if you want to go with a single shot. You could even go with the 50 BMG if you build the lower as a pistol or "other" weapon.

Or you could re-chamber that 50 bmg upper to 510 and then have a legal 50 bmg *like* rifle

Federal
12-16-2011, 9:49 PM
Uhhhhh, NO?

IIRC it does not matter what the lower says, whatever it is shooting is what caliber it is. Example: an AR-15 lower could say "50 BMG only" and it would still be Cali legal as long as it does not have 50 bmg upper on it. So a lower does not have to be designated as "multi" to make taking the BB off legal for a 22 lr conversion.

An AR lower with "223" on the side could legally have ANY caliber upper put on it (so long as the rifle is configured legally and using a legal CA caliber)

Uhhhhhh, yea, you are correct. I didn't mean that it is a must.
But try explaining that to a knuckle head rookie officer..

Federal
12-16-2011, 9:57 PM
Shakes head....Doesn't matter one bit what caliber it says on it unless its for .308.

Shakes head even more...
Yes most here understand that, and I didnt say its a must, but when a ignorant officer tries to give you Sh*t over the fact that the rifle is "labeled" as a center fire, and you have all the evil features with no bullet button, it kinda makes .00.000001% more sense to have it say Multi.
Since most officers won't take your word for it, and most have no idea what the difference is inside the actual rifle.
It's happend to me.

But yes, it does not matter what it says, I prefer "Multi"

repubconserv
12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Uhhhhhh, yea, you are correct. I didn't mean that it is a must.
But try explaining that to a knuckle head rookie officer..

Ok, I'll give you that, but if you know that, you should also know the only thing you say to the cops is "You do not have permission to search anything, I have my lawyer on speed dial if you wish to discuss anything"