PDA

View Full Version : Sling for my AR-15

AeroEngi
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey guys, I was looking into getting a sling and I can't really decide on what I want, a single-point or a two-point. What do you guys think? I wanna eventually use the AR for a carbine course so I don't know which one would be more practical. I also need to know which adapters I would need for each sling. I have a VLTOR IMOD stock and I know I would need a QD swivel on it for a two-point sling but which end plate should I get for a single-point sling?

Thanks.

zfields
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Start with a 2 point, learn to use it in improvised shooting positions.

Single point IMO is only worthwhile with very short firearms, and be aware of the muzzle. Its very easy to smack yourself in the junk with it.

damon1272
12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Check out Ares Armor out of Oceanside. They have a great two point that can be changed to a single point with the use of their adapter. I prefer a two point but I have three of the ares armor slings and i really like them.

AeroEngi
12-16-2011, 1:04 PM
Start with a 2 point, learn to use it in improvised shooting positions.

Single point IMO is only worthwhile with very short firearms, and be aware of the muzzle. Its very easy to smack yourself in the junk with it.

LOL thanks for the heads-up.

Check out Ares Armor out of Oceanside. They have a great two point that can be changed to a single point with the use of their adapter. I prefer a two point but I have three of the ares armor slings and i really like them.

Cool thanks, I'll check them out.

Roots
12-16-2011, 1:08 PM
If you want both then just go with a convertible.

SoCalSig1911
12-16-2011, 1:09 PM
I like the 1 to 2 point slings since you can run them either way. I'm waiting for that Magpul MS3.

thegamettt
12-16-2011, 1:14 PM
I got a magpul asap plate, magpul rsa, and a qd sling swivel on my CTR stock. Then I got a tapco sling system which i can use for any kind of sling point i want. The sling sucks though, i should have got the tacstrap or ms2.

akjunkie
12-16-2011, 1:34 PM
Got rid of my Specter 1pt sling and recently purchased the VTAC 2 point.

Striker
12-16-2011, 1:49 PM
I'll add the Vickers two point since the new Magpul, the VTAC and Ares were already mentioned. I have the Vickers and really like it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the others either. Two point or single point is up to you and depends on what you're going to use it for and what features you think are the most necessary. To summarize though, single point is quicker and two point is more stable.

thedonger
12-16-2011, 1:53 PM
I like my Tactical Link convertible 1-2.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Convertible_Bungee_Sling.html

fullspeed1
12-16-2011, 3:18 PM
Went from a single point bungee type to a Vickers 2 point because I got sucked into the vortex of the Internet. I'm now back to a magpul ASAP/MS2 setup and wondering why the hell I even considered a 2 point. My needs are purely direct action with the ability to quickly transition shoulders and manipulate my weapon in awkward shooting positions. I have zero intent on climbing walls, hauling bodies, fast roping or having to carry my AR for extended periods of time. All of which in reality or good considerations.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-16-2011, 3:24 PM
I have a single point on my AR pistol. That is it. Any rifle/carbine gets a 2 point or 3 point, depending on how I intend to set it up. I am a big fan of the Israeli slings, and their attachments. These can normally be had on ebay for around $15, and the attachments are made from paracord. Simple, quite, rugged and cheap. WHat is not to like?

-Mb

Arnelcheeze
12-16-2011, 3:34 PM
get a convertible

AeroEngi
12-16-2011, 3:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I just ordered the Magpul MS2 with the Magpul ASAP end plate adapter. Seems like it's the best of both worlds and I can go from single-point to two-point and back pretty easily.

Thanks again for all your help.