PDA

View Full Version : Noob looking for......

02supervic
03-06-2007, 7:15 PM
sugestions for a national match service rifle. Two guys on my team are running rock river arms match uppers, heavy barrels, full weights ect but theirs are pre 99. I have been looking around through threads clicking on links to all the suppliers recomended by folks for a while but havent seen much of what I THINK I need. I have seen plenty of your basic fun to shoot reasonably accurate rifles and parts but I want super accurate out to 600 yards iron sights. I know this isnt going to be cheap so I only want to buy it once. Please put forth ideas and places to shop. Thanks in advance.

ocabj
03-06-2007, 7:29 PM
You want to buy once?

Geiselle 2-stage trigger
White Oak Precision upper as opposed to White Oak Armament - WOP will have a Pac Nor barrel and pinned sights standard, with option to go Kreiger - Add a spare complete bolt/bolt carrier assembly with same headspace
Standard parts for everything else
Lead weights for front and rear (from Ray-Vin).
Les Tam sling

ocabj
03-06-2007, 7:50 PM
Oh, and also, while White Oak Precision and Armament are becoming the big name in Service Rifle, Compass Lake and Northern Competition are still top notch. A friend of mine who also runs the informal Across the Course highpower matches at West End Gun Club is a huge fan or Northern Competition and Badger Barrels.

02supervic
03-07-2007, 7:30 PM
Hmm ok good to know. What about a lower? They all seem to be about the same. Obviously I need a BB. How hard is it to swap the front grip out to a free float setup? I might want a bi-pod for varmit season or just general fun shooting.

Mastersid
03-07-2007, 11:24 PM
The first step is getting a good lower. The LAR is good and at a reasonable price. It sounds like you want to shoot service rifle class, and then you are limited to the fixed magazine config, rather than alternative grip to be both PRC legal and NRA Service Rifle Legal. The CMP is considering a rule change to allow for PRC restrictions. Be sure to get the standard service stock. Geisle triggers are great but pricy, and one High Master I know, prefers his Rock River Arms two stage match trigger over the later.Talk to other competitors and try what's being used before you spend big bucks for what you might not need. Don't mess with the bipods and interchangable gagets. Once you practice with a sling, you won't need them. A Compass Lake Upper with a Krieger or PAC NOR 1-7.9 or therabouts with a free floated handguard will get you Distinguished and a High Master card if you do your part. Lead shot in a vacum bag stuffed in the butt stock will balance a SS heavy barrel, I don't use a front weight. Get on the Delphi Highpower Forums, and the CMP website(www.odcmp.org)and you will find more info than your head can hold! Good luck and welcome to the shooting sports! Sid.

ocabj
03-08-2007, 5:30 AM
It sounds like you want to shoot service rifle class, and then you are limited to the fixed magazine config, rather than alternative grip to be both PRC legal and NRA Service Rifle Legal.

No need. The bullet button is service rifle legal. A guy was running one at the last Santa Margarita Match from what I was told. I didn't see it in person, but I was in the pits next to his target when he cleaned his sitting rapid string with it.

NRAhighpowershooter
03-08-2007, 8:49 PM
I built my own NM upper using a DPMS SS NM barrel.... might make HM and LEG out in the next 2 matches.... if the HP Gods smile on me :D