PDA

View Full Version : SKS or MAS 36

Blaze Kenobi
12-16-2011, 10:01 AM
I was just wondering if anybody can give me their input. I have some cash right now and I am thinking of getting another SKS or maybe a nice MAS 36. I am not sure which one in the long run will be a better investment. I am not thinking of selling either one once I get it but I would like to know what would be good right now in 2011. Thanks!

SideWinder11
12-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Good question. The way I see it SKS more demand but more of them. MAS 36 less demand but less of them here.

Do you plan to shoot it or is it just for investment?

akjunkie
12-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Most of the 7.5 ammo I see on the market is Mil surplus and as far as I know is all Steel core/jacket. NON range friendly.

bigthaiboy
12-16-2011, 1:41 PM
Get a Russian or Chinese SKS. More fun, and plentiful, cheap ammo.

MAS 36 is 7.554mm French, which is hard to find, and when you can, the ammo price is in line with .308

The MAS 36 will probably never be super collectable due to ammo scarcity. I have a MAS 36 and have yet to shoot it. I found some surplus ammo at a gun show and it wasn't cheap (60 or 70 cents a round). I found some stripper clips for $2.00 a piece in Belgium.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-16-2011, 2:34 PM
7.5x54 is easy to reload, and brass can be made from inexpensive 6.5x55 Swedish mauser brass by simply running it through the sizing die. I have a MAS 36, and I have not been overly impressed with it. It is clunky, chunky and awkward. The ergonomics suck, and there is no safety. But aside from that, they are decent rifles. In a cheese-eating surrender-monkey kind of way. I have seen some decent sporters made out of them in France. The sporters were made in France, I mean. I didn't see them the last time I was over there.

If you are looking at it as an investment, the MAS is probably the better choice. If it is something that you are getting to shoot or keep around as a weapon, go with the SKS. It doesn't have the range or the punch, but it will last forever, has plenty of spare parts available, and ammo is much cheaper.

-Mb

Blaze Kenobi
12-16-2011, 3:45 PM
Well I would shoot the MAS36 once in a while. I just think that in the future there might be a craze for them and the prices will shoot up. On the other hand if you had to choose from a Yugo and a Romanian SKS which one would you pick. I already have a Norinco that i bought for $275 and I love it specially because it has a chrome barrel and I believe that the Yugo and the Romanian do not have one. What to do?

gun toting monkeyboy
12-16-2011, 3:51 PM
The Yugo doesn't have chrome. I don't know about the Romanian. Given a choice of the two, I would go with the Romanian. They are far less common, and will almost always be worth more.

-Mb

a1c
12-16-2011, 4:06 PM
Most of the 7.5 ammo I see on the market is Mil surplus and as far as I know is all Steel core/jacket. NON range friendly.

Weird. Surplus dried up years ago. But i have no problem finding commercial new ammo from PPU.

CnRnut
12-16-2011, 4:22 PM
I'd look for a M59 Yugo.

CnRnut
12-16-2011, 4:27 PM
I'd look for a M59 Yugo.

Blaze Kenobi
12-16-2011, 4:33 PM
Why the m59 Yugo if I may ask. I just want to see the difference between it and the Norinco that I like.