PDA

View Full Version : Nugaunt headspace

oldyeller
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
My friend got a Mosin Nagaunt at big 5 and brought it over for me to check headspace on. It closed on a No-Go- although it was tight. Is it still safe to fire?

Thanks

paul0660
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
It is century arms import and has been headspaced according to CA. If it was tight on a no go it would not close on a field gauge and is most likely fine.

Stick your head under the table and wear a glove for the first shot. Not kidding.

Fate
12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Mosin Nagants and all WWII battle rifles should only be headspace checked with a FIELD gauge. They were designed with loose tolerances so they would continue to function in battlefield conditions.

If it's from Century and you're buying it from a first line retailer (like Big 5) you have nothing to worry about.

tujungatoes
12-16-2011, 1:22 PM
if you turn the bolt with one finger and feel resistance you're in very good shape. As previously stated those rifles chambers tend to somewhat...um...roomy. No need to worry until it swallows a field gauge.

oldyeller
12-16-2011, 1:29 PM
Cool, thank guys! :)

oldyeller
12-16-2011, 1:52 PM
BTW, anyone else not receiving notifications by email? I have not since yesterday.

CSACANNONEER
12-16-2011, 1:55 PM
If you forced the bolt to close, you might have ruined your no-go gauge.

Crunch130
12-16-2011, 8:26 PM
People are WAAYY too spun up about headspace on old military rifles. That rifle sounds fine. Besides, most people just crank non-reloadable surplus ammo through Mosins. Even if headspace was slightly excessive, you're going to allow the cases to stretch a little, then throw them out? Where's the problem?

If you reload, and have slightly excessive headspace, you just back off the resizing die so a resized case "just" chambers. Excessive headspace solved by custom-fit ammo.

If you have so much excessive headspace you risk case head separations, you probably have such a worn bore, it's time for a new barrel, anyway.

Crunch

Fate
12-17-2011, 9:03 AM
If you reload, and have slightly excessive headspace, you just back off the resizing die so a resized case "just" chambers. Excessive headspace solved by custom-fit ammo.
In a Mosin Nagant you only need to swap out the bolt head to fix the headspace issues. No ammo or rebarrelling shenanigans involved. But yes, Mosin Nagants rarely have headspace issues even with mismatched bolts (unlike Enfields/Mausers of the same vintage).

rojocorsa
12-17-2011, 1:30 PM
In a Mosin Nagant you only need to swap out the bolt head to fix the headspace issues. No ammo or rebarrelling shenanigans involved. But yes, Mosin Nagants rarely have headspace issues even with mismatched bolts (unlike Enfields/Mausers of the same vintage).

IDK about the Mausers as the bolt heads are part of the bolt bodies, but with the Enfields, isn't that because there are different size heads (and some are for SMLEs and others for No.4s)?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-17-2011, 2:33 PM
Mmmmm...nugaunt.

http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/haz_nougat_2.jpg

F... YEAH!!! Nugaunt!!!

http://www.giantpanther.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Ted-Nugent-VII.jpg

Moisoin-Nugaunts...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Mosin_Nagant_series_of_rifles.jpg/300px-Mosin_Nagant_series_of_rifles.jpg

AmbientR
12-18-2011, 8:55 AM
Mmmmm...nugaunt.

F... YEAH!!! Nugaunt!!!

Moisoin-Nugaunts...

I lol'd

guns4life
12-18-2011, 9:06 AM
I lol'd

+1 HAHAHAHA

bohoki
12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
its a rimmed cartridge made by russians relax

johnthomas
12-18-2011, 1:44 PM
New rule......If you cannot spell it, you cannot shoot it, lol. I have 8 Mosin Nagants. I always borrowed a go, no-go set of gauges from my friend at the gun shop. The first couple of times he told me not to force the bolt closed and ruin his gauge. Cas may have hit it on the head. None of mine ever failed. I haven't been shooting in 6 weeks, I'm starting to get the shakes, bugs crawling all over me, crazy thoughts, lol is this normal?
I need some range time.

oldyeller
12-18-2011, 2:02 PM
New rule......If you cannot spell it, you cannot shoot it

Well good thing I don't own one then! :p

johnthomas
12-18-2011, 2:17 PM
Well good thing I don't own one then! :p

You know it is all in fun. You need to get one, it will teach you the proper way of shouldering a rife, or beat you to death trying, lol.

Fate
12-18-2011, 7:46 PM
IDK about the Mausers as the bolt heads are part of the bolt bodies, but with the Enfields, isn't that because there are different size heads (and some are for SMLEs and others for No.4s)?

I was referring to Mosins when discussing the bolt heads. Mausers, as mentioned, don't have such a thing. I forget about Enfields, it's been years since I sold mine off.