PDA

View Full Version : Help XD-45 lost in car fire

HUTCH 7.62
03-06-2007, 6:53 PM
What does one do when their gun is lost in a car fire. in other words how do I get it out of my name. I have the charred remains. I wonder if springfield will warrenty it:D

Socal858
03-06-2007, 6:54 PM
this is a true true test of their customer service. :D lol

EDIT ps - sorry to hear about your car and gun

JPN6336
03-06-2007, 7:31 PM
That really sucks I'm sorry. That would be cool if Springfield warrantied it. If you have the serial number there is a form on the DOJ Firearms website for reporting discontinuation of ownership (I think it's the same one use for familial transfer).

The SoCal Gunner
03-06-2007, 7:50 PM
I think there is a form on the DOJ site for you to fill in regarding firearms no longer owned by you.

Matt C
03-06-2007, 8:05 PM
I would send it back, worst case they will destroy it for you. Insurance won't cover it?

ns3v3n
03-06-2007, 8:07 PM
send it in to SA and let us know what they say lol, and btw i'm sorry to hear for your lost of such a fine pistol.

Directshot
03-06-2007, 8:16 PM
I too would like to know what SA has to say, at least a picture of the person who opens the package and a recording of their voice would be priceless. Sorry for the loss.

EBWhite
03-06-2007, 9:06 PM
If you send it to SA, don't spend the money on overnight shipping. LOL

Stanze
03-06-2007, 9:13 PM
1. Sorry to hear about your car and gun.

2. This thread is worthless without pics.

3. Are you worried someone will get your guns remains and commit a crime with it traceable to you because of the serial number on charred gun?:D

ghost
03-06-2007, 9:16 PM
does sa`s warranty actually cover fire damage?

bonjing
03-06-2007, 9:18 PM
where you the car fire I heard about on the radio today?

eviioiive
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
pics or it didnt happen.

sigs229
03-06-2007, 10:55 PM
+1 on the pics.

mike100
03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
pics and you don't need to declare a firearm for overnight shipping if the slide is the only remnant. the serial numbered component is melted away ..I presume- the weapon is totally harmless- I say it is demilled-officially not a firearm now.

leelaw
03-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Post pictures :D

HUTCH 7.62
03-07-2007, 6:07 PM
I'm working on the pics. Called springfield and they said they would take a look at to see if it is salvageable don't know if their gonna charge me though.

grammaton76
03-07-2007, 6:24 PM
I'm working on the pics. Called springfield and they said they would take a look at to see if it is salvageable don't know if their gonna charge me though.

I would imagine that they'd charge you basically the price of a new gun, but if the weapon isn't on the CA drop-test list anymore, they'll probably be so kind as to remanufacture the gun with the original serial number. It's legal, for replacement of a destroyed weapon... and to replace an off-the-list handgun, well worth it.

HUTCH 7.62
03-07-2007, 6:30 PM
What's the CA drop test list and how do you know if you weapon complies or does'nt comply to this list

Whitesmoke
03-07-2007, 6:35 PM
What's the CA drop test list and how do you know if you weapon complies or does'nt comply to this list

Basically..the handgun is listed by EXACT model number or it isn't legal. Here's the list:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

grammaton76
03-07-2007, 6:38 PM
Basically..the handgun is listed by EXACT model number or it isn't legal.

Well, not exactly isn't legal, but it's not legal to buy new from an FFL.

It's legal to private-party-transfer from another Californian, but an out of stater can't transfer it to you outside of special circumstances.

A remanufactured replacement for a weapon you already legally own, is one of those circumstances.

vega
03-07-2007, 7:13 PM
Tag.

Whitesmoke
03-07-2007, 8:50 PM
Well, not exactly isn't legal, but it's not legal to buy new from an FFL.

It's legal to private-party-transfer from another Californian, but an out of stater can't transfer it to you outside of special circumstances.

A remanufactured replacement for a weapon you already legally own, is one of those circumstances.

Your correct....I just meant not legal to buy new from a FFL. :)

bruss01
03-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey,

Wanna see a pic of the incinerated car. Surely one exists for insurance claims.

Wanna see a pic of the incinerated gun. Mag in or out? Can you even get the mag removed? (thinking it must be glued in place by melted polymer.) Did the rounds pop off or did it not get quite that hot? Where in the car was the gun located durring the fire? What caused the fire, anyway?

Dude, sorry your gun is trashed, hope you can get it fixed/replaced. Car too.

But without pics and details, you're just taunting us, making us want what we can't see. C'mon, digital cameras are everywhere, can't be that hard to borrow one from a friend or even plunk down the $250 at Fry's and buy a new 7 megapixel one, saw it in the paper just yesterday, name brand too.

sorensen440
03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
They are supposed to have a great warrantee it might be covered :P

jerryg1776
03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
See if your car insurance cover the replacement....

montan
03-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Sorry about you losses. Springfield has a very good customer service. Please let us know what they say.

NRA has an insurance covering firearms theft and destruction. It is a very inexpensive protection. You might want to consider it.

Good luck.

REDHORSE
03-12-2007, 2:35 AM
Springfield should be able to get you a new frame with the same Ser# of your burnt gun.

Maybe, use the slide and barrel from the orig gun, depending on how badly damaged it is.

Doubt it would be free, but just a nominal fee.

stealthmode
03-12-2007, 1:40 PM
does NRA membership cover such a loss up to $1000?

rkt88edmo
03-12-2007, 1:45 PM
does NRA membership cover such a loss up to $1000?

Good idea, the membership insurance might cover that.

bwiese
03-12-2007, 1:47 PM
I am fairly certain 'replacement/warranty' is a valid exemption from safe gun listing.

I think if the S/N differs on the frame of the replacement gun it's a new gun and should go thru FFL (and Sprinfield should not send it to you directly).

Black_Talon
03-12-2007, 4:57 PM
See if your car insurance cover the replacement....

Based on my experiences with (the lower than snake bellies) insurance companies, your car insurance will tell you it should be covered by your homeowners policy, and your homeowners insurance will tell you it should be covered by your auto policy.

762cavalier
03-12-2007, 5:35 PM
If you are an NRA member you automatically have $1000 in firearms coverage for loss. You will need to submit a police report of fire dept report to make a claim. ;)

bruss01
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey,

Wanna see a pic of the incinerated car. Surely one exists for insurance claims.

Wanna see a pic of the incinerated gun. Mag in or out? Can you even get the mag removed? (thinking it must be glued in place by melted polymer.) Did the rounds pop off or did it not get quite that hot? Where in the car was the gun located durring the fire? What caused the fire, anyway?

Dude, sorry your gun is trashed, hope you can get it fixed/replaced. Car too.

But without pics and details, you're just taunting us, making us want what we can't see. C'mon, digital cameras are everywhere, can't be that hard to borrow one from a friend or even plunk down the $250 at Fry's and buy a new 7 megapixel one, saw it in the paper just yesterday, name brand too.

I think he lost interest and wandered off. We're not going to get pics cuz he can't be bothered. That's a disappointment.

krazek
03-13-2007, 2:51 PM
I think he lost interest and wandered off. We're not going to get pics cuz he can't be bothered. That's a disappointment.

as much as i would love to see pictures. imagine how you would feel if your gun and car burst into flames -___-

JPN6336
03-13-2007, 2:58 PM
Apparently you have to be sure and sign up for the NRA coverage. My form just showed up in the mail and will go back out signed in tomorrow's mail. $1000 may not cover all firearms but it's certainly better than getting nothing.

veeklog
03-13-2007, 9:41 PM
Apparently you have to be sure and sign up for the NRA coverage. My form just showed up in the mail and will go back out signed in tomorrow's mail. $1000 may not cover all firearms but it's certainly better than getting nothing.

In case of fire, the first thing that I'm pulling out are my personal guns; duty weapons and the ex-girlfriend be damn, but my guns go with me!!

Cardinal Sin
03-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Pics man we want pics!!!

bruss01
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
as much as i would love to see pictures. imagine how you would feel if your gun and car burst into flames -___-

I imagine that would be a trying experience. I did express my sympathy.

If that happened to me I would be ALL OVER it with a camera to document the loss. That's what I'm imagining and I think it's a pretty realistic assessment, since that's what I have done in other similar past experiences.

So I'm kinda not getting it, why it's important enough to start a thread over, but not important enough to post pics even a week after the fact. Color me confused.

krazek
03-14-2007, 11:35 AM
I imagine that would be a trying experience. I did express my sympathy.

If that happened to me I would be ALL OVER it with a camera to document the loss. That's what I'm imagining and I think it's a pretty realistic assessment, since that's what I have done in other similar past experiences.

So I'm kinda not getting it, why it's important enough to start a thread over, but not important enough to post pics even a week after the fact. Color me confused.

haha i feel ya. no worries. i think i'd probably do the same as you and i understand your point too.

ibbryn
03-14-2007, 3:10 PM
Send the gun to Springfield for warranty service with a note that "the gun gets really hot when I shoot fast."

They'll probably fix it. Or they will tell you not to shoot so fast. :p

moulton
03-14-2007, 4:49 PM
$1,000 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. For special provisions and limitations of the ArmsCare Plan click here. ArmsCare

http://www.nra.org/benefits.aspx

EBWhite
03-14-2007, 8:45 PM
hutch, your starting to make my blood boil. you need to reply soon. olollolol

krazek
03-15-2007, 2:13 PM
hutch, your starting to make my blood boil. you need to reply soon. olollolol

i hope something didnt happen to his computer or his house either :eek:
oh man would that be terrible....