PDA

View Full Version : motor oil or gun oil?

xSARSx
12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
so how many ppl here use regular motor oil and who uses gun oil? dont want to start a debate just want to see who use what for their guns. i'll start, i use fully synthetic mobil-1 10w30 on all my rifles and handguns

Don29palms
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
so how many ppl here use regular motor oil and who uses gun oil? dont want to start a debate just want to see who use what for their guns. i'll start, i use fully synthetic mobil-1 10w30 on all my rifles and handguns

Same here.

$P-Ritch$
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I got eight tubes of TW-25 for free when I was in the army. The stuff works great and I will continue to use it till I run out. It's been about 2 years now and I'm only about 2/3's of the way through the first tube. A little goes a long way.

cannon
12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Gun oil even on AKs. :D

I really don't know if gun oil is any better, worse or same as engine oil on guns. It's a gun so I use gun oil. shrug

skeptik
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
mobile full synthetic 10w-30 :party::28::thumbsup:

Dhena81
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I use gun oil because I don't like to inhale all the additives. Someone on Calguns linked this to one of the few lubricant threads I ever seen on any forum :rolleyes: so I thought I'd add the link as I thought it was a good read.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

This is from the article

Motor oils: Generally good boundary lubrication (particularly the Havoline formulations), but very poor corrosion resistance and poor resistance to open-air oxidation. In addition, their pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis! ATF performs better for firearms use on every count, even if it is a tad more expensive. (ATF is still 1/10 to 1/100th the cost of a specialty "gun oil"!)

xSARSx
12-15-2011, 11:17 PM

This is from the article[/QUOTE]

well i disagree with what he said just this part though on how oil pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis. i havent seen or heard of any auto mechanic die yet from touching oil on a day to day basis.

dirtykoala
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
i understand that motor oil is cheaper, but i went ahead and decided to break the bank, spend the big bucks, and get a $10 (OMG!) bottle of gun oil thats lasted me the past 3 years or so and still has 2-3 years to go before its empty.

Noah3683
12-15-2011, 11:42 PM

This is from the article

well i disagree with what he said just this part though on how oil pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis. i havent seen or heard of any auto mechanic die yet from touching oil on a day to day basis.

Well if its true im screwed considering the past 10 years. Imagine the poor jiffy lube guys. That's all they do. Oh wait cough goodbye cruel world lol

1forall
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I use gun oil. I don't know which is better, it's just what I use.

bighead
12-15-2011, 11:52 PM
I use Royal Purple, same stuff that goes in the zx-10r.

roushstage2
12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Would something like Royal Purple assembly lube be too think to get into the two small holes on the side of the bolt carrier? I've got a bottle of the assembly lube I planned to use in an engine rebuild, that never took place. Might as well use it up on something.

dirtykoala
12-15-2011, 11:59 PM
I use Royal Purple, same stuff that goes in the zx-10r.

you should send some of your RP to blackstone labs and get an analysis. RP breaks down pretty quickly most of the time and isnt as great as it is advertized to be.

roushstage2
12-16-2011, 12:01 AM
you should send some of your RP to blackstone labs and get an analysis. RP breaks down pretty quickly most of the time and isnt as great as it is advertized to be.

I sent some of mine in to Blackstone, and the UOA came back fine. Granted, it wasn't a lot of miles, but the miles that were on it, were hard ones. It is a decent all-around true syn. oil. I don't use it anymore simply because it went up in price and there are comparable syns for much less.

peter95
12-16-2011, 1:02 AM
Im with Gun oil... simply because its gun oil. I have no idea what is better or worse, but im sure both are fine.....

SoCalSig1911
12-16-2011, 1:31 AM
I picked up a bottle of Mpro-7 LPX..

norcal77
12-16-2011, 1:31 AM
Most of the Colt gunsmiths who have worked on my pistols all recommended Mobil one synthetic. I noticed most of you said 10w-30 but I've been told that 15w-50 is the superior one for firearms and it seems to work fine for me...all you need is a couple drops.

There is a member on this forum who sells the Lubriplate stuff also, I use that also and it works fantastic, plus it's food grade, won't give you cancer or whatever later in life.

PsychGuy274
12-16-2011, 2:24 AM

For guns with loose tolerances (AK-47) either would be fine I guess. I've lubed my AK with used motor oil from my truck one time when I was shooting on BLM and I forgot my lube.

For a gun with tight tolerances (AR-15) motor oil is probably too viscous compared with gun oil and might have trouble getting to where it needs to go.

PsychGuy274
12-16-2011, 2:26 AM
Dupe

MrPlink
12-16-2011, 2:53 AM
For a gun with tight tolerances (AR-15) motor oil is probably too viscous compared with gun oil and might have trouble getting to where it needs to go.

Ive never had an issue.

To be honest I started using it long before I joined this place or even consulting with others about it.

Seemed like basic logic to me.
"Ive spin this stuff to 13,000+ RPMs and havent had an issue... my guns definitely dont shoot that fast.... Mobil has put countless time and money into RnD.... (picks up gun oil) these guys probably close to none by comparison..."

People only started to tell me that I cant/shouldnt do it well after having done
it without issue for a long time. :shrug: go figure..

Mail Clerk
12-16-2011, 6:53 AM
Through out the years I've collected so many brands of gun oil/lunes that I'm currently trying to use them up. I have enough to last me another 6 years easy based on my shooting habits.

During the war my dad told me gun oils was scarse so their unit used motor oil for all necessary cleaning issues including the bore. It obviously was in bigger quantities compared to the other.

Mail Clerk

starsnuffer
12-16-2011, 7:51 AM
I use vats of puppy fat taken from the K9 plastic surgery clinic in Beverly Hills. I'm all about avoiding petroleum products and being eco friendly whenever I can. Works as good as anything else and it smells like children.

-W

Arisaka
12-16-2011, 7:56 AM
I use motor oil, but gun oil smells better.

Coyote Brown
12-16-2011, 7:59 AM
Frog lube here. When it comes time to clean, nothing compares.

h0use
12-16-2011, 8:05 AM
they both work! but i like froglube as well

LovingTheYear1911
12-16-2011, 8:07 AM
Gun oil, cause motor oil stinks worse than gun oil.

glockman19
12-16-2011, 9:19 AM
Doesn't matter it's all the same...just packaged differently.

wtkaiser
12-16-2011, 9:43 AM
Gun oil. It comes in smaller containers and can be applied cleaner, and IT'S A GUN! Same thing with VCR and cassette cleaners (Yes, I still use them on occasion). I know it smells, looks and tastes (?) just like isopropyl alcohol, but I will go to the closest Radio Shack and get VCR cleaner.

Advertising types just love me!

RGERBER
12-16-2011, 9:47 AM
Lucas additive on my AR's

UP2MTNS
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I got eight tubes of TW-25 for free when I was in the army. The stuff works great and I will continue to use it till I run out. It's been about 2 years now and I'm only about 2/3's of the way through the first tube. A little goes a long way.

I have a 5gal drum of Redline 15w-50 race oil....so I should be ok for a while then? :)

serious (newbie)question though: for actual cleaning dirty oil off and out of tiny crevices, is anyone using a specific solvent? or just wiping off really well?

I'm a car guy so I love Brake Kleen for cleaning out small parts, big parts, etc, etc....maybe a little harsh for cleaning out a gun?

nani
12-16-2011, 10:30 AM
If you're using motor oil, I'd think you'd use whatever solvent you'd use to clean up motor oil? I don't know, just a stab in the dark there.

I have a 5gal drum of Redline 15w-50 race oil....so I should be ok for a while then? :)

serious (newbie)question though: for actual cleaning dirty oil off and out of tiny crevices, is anyone using a specific solvent? or just wiping off really well?

I'm a car guy so I love Brake Kleen for cleaning out small parts, big parts, etc, etc....maybe a little harsh for cleaning out a gun?

starsnuffer
12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
The problem with using auto products is that they are designed to be used inside closed systems. You touch and handle your weapons. None of the products used inside engines are designed to come in contact with humans on a regular basis. They are not safe, they are proven carcinogens, and they are not healthy to you.

I'm not going to tell you not to use motor oil and brake cleaner on your gun, that is your business. I'm only going to tell you that the other end of the gun, while no more effective over time, is a much more expedient method in which to obtain medical issues.

-W

Thomas1190
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I use gun oil, Slip 2000 EWL. Its great stuff, i use it on everything. It is a little on the expensive side but a little goes a long way.

zfields
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
If you're using motor oil, I'd think you'd use whatever solvent you'd use to clean up motor oil? I don't know, just a stab in the dark there.

Simple Green works wonders.

dls
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM
When I run out of mil-tec I'll fill the bottle with some pretty royal purple break-in oil I have left over from a project. I also have some synthetic assembly lube that might work good.

Looking at the Royal Purple web site, I see they have gun oil too,but I've never seen it on the shelf anywhere.

Last time I was at NAPA auto parts I saw that Lucas made a gun oil too, might be worth a shot.

3GunFunShooter
12-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I have used Mobile 1 on my Remington 1100 Competition Master, worked great.
Slip 2000, Mil-tec, and Brian Enos Glide Slide, Rem oil also. All seem to do fine.
Love the Glide Slide on pistols, especially 1911's.

j.primo
12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I use motor oil on my gun and gun oil in my car:shifty:

green grunt
12-16-2011, 11:38 AM
depending on the firearm , oil for some , grease for others...etc....I've not found a "1 lube does it all " yet....

robert101
12-16-2011, 2:50 PM
Mobil 1 for me.

novalondon
12-16-2011, 2:58 PM

This is from the article

well i disagree with what he said just this part though on how oil pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis. i havent seen or heard of any auto mechanic die yet from touching oil on a day to day basis.[/QUOTE]

No names ever were posted but,,,what happened to all the gas stations and service bays they use to have, they all died off from touching grease and oil. ask anyone and they'll tell ya the same,,,,,,or was it Circle K and 7/11 that said that..LOL

slo5oh
12-16-2011, 3:48 PM
When I run out of mil-tec I'll fill the bottle with some pretty royal purple break-in oil I have left over from a project. I also have some synthetic assembly lube that might work good.

Looking at the Royal Purple web site, I see they have gun oil too,but I've never seen it on the shelf anywhere.

Last time I was at NAPA auto parts I saw that Lucas made a gun oil too, might be worth a shot.

I don't know that I'd use assembly lube. I know the stuff is slippery as all hell and sticks to whatever it's applied to, but it's designed to burn off and allow your motor oil to take over.
I really like the other idea though... refilling existing "gun oil" containers with a good synthetic motor oil. I wonder how marvel mystery oil would do...

Not really "gun related" but an FYI,
Mobil 1 5-30, 10-30 and higher are not as good as their 0-xx weight oils. The debate on this subject continues but it's believed that the 0-xx's use a group 4 base stock (meaning a true synthetic) where the 5-xx and 10-xx's use a group 3 base stock. We can thank Castrol for making this whole subject so complicated. When they came out with Castrol "Syntec" and called it a "Synthetic" even though it's not. For now the big oil makers are unable to modify lower group oils to allow for 0wt so if you see 0-xx on the label you know you're getting a real synthetic.

Dhena81
12-16-2011, 9:57 PM
A lot of posters seemed to have missed this part

Motor oils: Generally good boundary lubrication (particularly the Havoline formulations), but very poor corrosion resistance and poor resistance to open-air oxidation.

To me that is worse than the fact that its not healthy. I know lots of people think they are outsmarting the system and that makes them feel good about themselves. If your really that hard up that you only use motor oil to save a buck and not any other reason like the R&D snake oil then more power to you.

I'm not saying motor oil will not protect your gun from excessive wear but it might not protect it from other elements it wasn't designed for like open air and corrosion. For example I wouldn't use motor oil in a compressor motor because compressor oil has additives designed for compressors mainly because of the moisture they produce.

dctex99
12-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Well if its true im screwed considering the past 10 years. Imagine the poor jiffy lube guys. That's all they do. Oh wait cough goodbye cruel world lol

Most mechanics and Jiffy lube guys now wear rubber gloves to protect them from all the chamicals in synthetic oil and even worse, gasket sealants!!

Gnome
12-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Nothing fancy, just plain old gun oil.

fmunk
12-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Neither. Frog Lube.

Gun oil and motor oil both contain all sorts of nasty cancer causing agents that can be absorbed through your skin. The reason Jiffy Lube employees are not dropping like flies is because they wear gloves or are suppose to. Do you always wear gloves when you come in contact with your guns?

Also, when you shoot, excess lube gets burned off and can be breathed in and absorbed through the lungs.

No one lives forever, but cancer is probably one of the worst ways to go.

falawful
12-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I render the fat of the vanquished.

Chemicals can be hard on one's liver, but from a strictly functional point of view motor oil is just fiiiiine. I do want to try frog lube though...

darkjedi351
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Most mechanics and Jiffy lube guys now wear rubber gloves to protect them from all the chamicals in synthetic oil and even worse, gasket sealants!!

yea, i'm sure it has nothing to do with keeping their hands clean and ease of cleaning.
if it was harmful my risk managment guy would have us wearing hazmat suits while performing a oil change. no respirators or gloves required, he is that anal though.

most hard core automotive chemicals are no longer available in ca. our parts washers are all water based which works like crap. i use current automotive de-greasers to clean my guns w/o any problems and follow up with whatever gun oil i have. currently using slip 2000, seems to work as well as other gun lubes