PDA

View Full Version : Saiga upgrade

fendter
12-15-2011, 9:06 PM
I just bought a Saiga .223. Initially I thought that I wanted to convert it to the standard AK look, but now I'm more drawn to keeping it in the unconverted form.

I'm thinking of either upgrading the furniture to the wooden furniture or buy the "sniper look" stock.

Which one makes more sense based on handling and weight?

I believe that the "sniper look" stock will require a bullet button and potentially a 922R.

Revolver Ocelot
12-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Only make sense if your fine with keeping that crappy trigger feel.

djslik
12-16-2011, 1:14 AM
It also makes sense if you want to keep the ability to drop mags without using a MMG or Pistol Grip Wrap. I'm actually having Ironwood Designs in San Jose building me a custom US Made Sporter Stock with a PSL type front lower hand guard. I plan on adding the bullet guide and also a Tapco factory trigger group. This will keep in me in 922R compliance and allow me to use my old AK mags. Once I have the custom stock finished I'll post a writeup with pics.

I have other Saiga's that I'm converting, but I wanted at least 1 Saiga to keep in sporter form.

Sniper Stock will require bullet button and you might as well convert at that point to get rid of the less than spectacular trigger pull. Other people have filled in the opening making it CA legal.

!@#$
12-16-2011, 4:31 AM
Only make sense if your fine with keeping that crappy trigger feel.

get a G2 trigger group and cut the trigger to fit. now your trigger pull is just like if it was converted and you can ditch the crappy BHO.

CSACANNONEER
12-16-2011, 6:46 AM
I like the wood idea.

chead
12-16-2011, 7:23 AM
Wood. Do it.

fendter
12-16-2011, 9:13 AM
thanks guys. I'm definitely leaning towards the wood.

SideWinder11
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I like the wood too

stix213
12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I have wood on my .308, and I originally had that same thumbhole stock on my 7.62x39. I love them both; both are excellent. Keep in mind that going with that thumbhole stock means you need to go fixed magazine in Commifornia.

zfields
12-16-2011, 2:37 PM
I bought my Saiga on line for $299.00. Shipped/received/DROS for $67.00. I did not want to spend a lot of money converting a $300.00 gun so I used parts and scrap lying around to do most of the "converting". Quadrail from ebay $42.99 delivered, front hand grip from ebay $12.00 delivered, rear hand grip left over from AR build, butt stock and "adapter" made from scrape steel. Grade 8 bolts from Home Depot $1.60. Had to make the "bullet button" as a normal one attaches to the trigger guard which is moved up during normal conversion.

You might want to double check your 922r compliance.

Revolver Ocelot
12-16-2011, 3:06 PM
get a G2 trigger group and cut the trigger to fit. now your trigger pull is just like if it was converted and you can ditch the crappy BHO.

Except you would still have all that extra linkage that messes with trigger feel.

Bigtwin
12-16-2011, 9:45 PM
Except you would still have all that extra linkage that messes with trigger feel.

My thoughts exactly!

cmace22
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Wood!

SJgunguy24
12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
It also makes sense if you want to keep the ability to drop mags without using a MMG or Pistol Grip Wrap. I'm actually having Ironwood Designs in San Jose building me a custom US Made Sporter Stock with a PSL type front lower hand guard. I plan on adding the bullet guide and also a Tapco factory trigger group. This will keep in me in 922R compliance and allow me to use my old AK mags. Once I have the custom stock finished I'll post a writeup with pics.

I have other Saiga's that I'm converting, but I wanted at least 1 Saiga to keep in sporter form.

Sniper Stock will require bullet button and you might as well convert at that point to get rid of the less than spectacular trigger pull. Other people have filled in the opening making it CA legal.

Wrong, Saigas are imported with that thumbhole stock, thus 922(r) compliance is a non issue. I would opt for the AR magwell conversion and use a featureless set up.

Oh, and cmace22 i'll get you a pic of my 223.

Bigtwin
12-16-2011, 11:46 PM

[/B]

Wrong, Saigas are imported with that thumbhole stock, thus 922(r) compliance is a non issue. I would opt for the AR magwell conversion and use a featureless set up.

Wait...some are imported with the thumbhole stock I know that, but if yours was not, could you put one on and not worry about 922r? If so that would not matter for CA though, right? As in you would still have to deal with a maglock!?

zfields
12-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Still have to have a maglock.

cmace22
12-17-2011, 7:09 AM
[/B]

Please do. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket :)