PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15 Upper Cleaning ?

10mm
12-15-2011, 7:16 PM
I recently cleaned a brand new M&P 15 upper. I used Shooters Choice MC7 solvent to clean barrell. My question is how bad is it if some of it fell on the interior metal of the upper reciever. I did my best to dry it up. I also liberly poured CLP in the affected area and then wiped that away. Next I poured some M-Pro 7 and wiped it away. I heard somewhere that the interior of the upper reciever is sensative to solvents like brake cleaner and the like. I do notice a slight discoloration. Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

10mm
12-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Anyone?:confused:

luchador768
12-16-2011, 4:02 AM
The inner part of your upper is fine. It handles the BCG going back and fourth thousands and thousands of times over it's lifespan. A little shooters choice won't hurt it.

Mail Clerk
12-16-2011, 5:40 AM
I recently cleaned a brand new M&P 15 upper. I used Shooters Choice MC7 solvent to clean barrell. My question is how bad is it if some of it fell on the interior metal of the upper reciever. I did my best to dry it up. I also liberly poured CLP in the affected area and then wiped that away. Next I poured some M-Pro 7 and wiped it away. I heard somewhere that the interior of the upper reciever is sensative to solvents like brake cleaner and the like. I do notice a slight discoloration. Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

10mm,

Use a bore guide and solvent port. That'll clear up you worry some head;)
Like the others have said as long as it's on th inside who's gonna look and see it???

Mail Clerk

HPGunner
12-16-2011, 5:49 AM
If it's a chrome lined barrel why bother with heavy solvents? Some CLP or MPro7 and a bore snake and maybe a light chamber brush is all it needs.

10mm
12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks to all for the useful information. Happy Holidays!

Drivedabizness
12-16-2011, 2:31 PM
Back in the day (1985) my squad leader used some Easy Off to try and clean his upper/BCG on his freshly issued M16A2.

It took the some of the parkerizing off and he got an NJP.

I am not up to speed on all the new-fangled stuff they use for cleaner/lube these days.

CLP sucks donkey-you-know-whats as a cleaner.

Hoppes cleans well and doesn't screw things up.