PDA

View Full Version : So confusing

bluesk1d
03-06-2007, 5:07 PM
Man, I just can't keep up! I recall recently reading a publication from the DOJ (of course I can't find it now) that alluded to off-list lowers using the various mag locking conversions as not having their mags quite "fixed" enough for their standards and that the likes of the FAB10 and other perma-modded lowers were the only legal way to go. The very well written FAQ on this site as well as the many posters in the forum seem convinced otherwise. Tell me I am imagining things and didnt read that... Please?

aklover_91
03-06-2007, 5:09 PM
idea for a reg change that didn't go through

Jicko
03-06-2007, 5:09 PM
Man, I just can't keep up! I recall recently reading a publication from the DOJ (of course I can't find it now) that alluded to off-list lowers using the various mag locking conversions as not having their mags quite "fixed" enough for their standards and that the likes of the FAB10 and other perma-modded lowers were the only legal way to go. The very well written FAQ on this site as well as the many posters in the forum seem convinced otherwise. Tell me I am imagining things and didnt read that... Please?

That *doc*/*publication* does not exist.... :D so don't worry.

bluesk1d
03-06-2007, 5:11 PM
Hah thanks for the instant replies! So when I roll up to a CA range with my STAG-15 and mag-lok kit no one will look at me funny? ;-)

PIRATE14
03-06-2007, 5:14 PM
Hah thanks for the instant replies! So when I roll up to a CA range with my STAG-15 and mag-lok kit no one will look at me funny? ;-)

It would be wise to highly versed in the law and know how your local law enforcement views these rifles......there are some friendly areas and notso friendly areas.....

Let people know what range your talking about and they'll let you know....

bluesk1d
03-06-2007, 5:20 PM
Thats kind of what Im getting at. It either is illegal (statutory or via case law) or it isn't right? Non-friendly areas shouldnt matter if what you are doing isnt illegal. I am in Orange County so things tend to swing a little left here. I bought my lower, parts kit and mag locking kit from you guys at coldwar actually.

proraptor
03-06-2007, 5:22 PM
Ive been to burro canyon and on target with my ar with no problems azt all

thedrickel
03-06-2007, 8:28 PM
Thats kind of what Im getting at. It either is illegal (statutory or via case law) or it isn't right? Non-friendly areas shouldnt matter if what you are doing isnt illegal.

The problem is, you may run into a LEO and subsequent DA that do not know what is/isn't legal, and even if they do eventually agree that the mag-lock is kosher, you will have to fill out the law enforcement gun release form and wait at least a month to get it back. Worst case scenario, they threaten to prosecute but let you off with the nuisance charge and confiscation of the rifle. Which would you pick, give up your 1k rifle or pay a lawyer to get it back?

bluesk1d
03-06-2007, 9:49 PM
Fortunately I don't have to worry about overzealous LEOs messing with me. Since there is no written statute regarding mag locking kits, it would depend on precedence. Is anyone aware of ANY verdicts or even prosecutions regarding this?

xenophobe
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
A standard conviction or prosecution is not considered case law unless it has been reviewed by the appellate courts, and a lower court judge can still issue a ruling contrary to prior court precedence, and that ruling will stand unless appealed. But to answer your question, there is no precedence regarding mag locks or California legal AR rifles.

If you can recite the law and regulations, as well as function and definition of a firearm that has been modified to comply with California law with confidence, the chances are better that any suspicious LE, investigating detective or zealous DA will eventually agree with you.

Knowing the law intimately and being able to explain it simply will do wonders if you end up in the position of having to give a statement.

Cpl_Peters
03-06-2007, 11:26 PM
since when does OC swing to the left? Orange County is probably the most conservative part of SoCal.

+1 on knowing your laws though. If you are not ready to start blabing off penal codes and SB's to some hard *** LEO then this might not be the right rifle for you. Since there is no official answer from the DOJ things can get harry. Its a good idea to take along with you a current copy of the CA DOJ firearms laws available here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms) since some LEOs will jsut freak out at the site of a black rifle and not know the legality of the situation. I was telling a cop buddy of mine that is in my platoon about building CA legal AKs last weekend...about half way through he blurted in, "bottom line, if I catch someone with an AK, they are going to jail." I then educated him on the current laws and regulations about OLL AKs and ARs and he was greatful to have learned about it before he made a mistake and arrested someone for something that is legal. It wasn't really his fault. The academies teach their recruits AR/AK looking rifle=illegal and nothing more. Also it doesnt hurt to bring a copy of your DROS paper work and a receipt for your OLL. Although the later doesnt really prove anything sometimes people will STFU when you pull out some documentation.

midnitereaper
03-07-2007, 9:36 AM
Ive been to burro canyon and on target with my ar with no problems azt all

On Target!?! Isn't that a indoor shooting range?

AxonGap
03-07-2007, 2:06 PM
since when does OC swing to the left? Orange County is probably the most conservative part of SoCal.

North county (i.e. Santa Ana) can be "worlds" away from south county politically.