PDA

View Full Version : dumb question re: Ed Brown 1911 mainspring housings

trashman
03-06-2007, 2:42 PM
...subject says it all; my question is, why is the 25LPI checkering more expensive than the 20...or the 30 LPI?

It's like 25% more expensive, both at Midway's and from Ed Brown direct.

Any reason 25LPI would be premium gas?

--Neill (about to remove the ILS from my latest SA...)

dfletcher
03-06-2007, 3:17 PM
Is your presumption that since it assumedly costs the same to execute they should charge the same - correct?

My guess is that 30 is too sharp & 20 doesn't provide the best grip. The 25 lpi probably is best and as such they as a company should charge more to earn profits & stay in business. Not saying I agree, but that may be their approach.

pklin1297
03-06-2007, 3:45 PM
It has been my experience that the 20 lpi is too coarse/sharp/tears skin, and the 30 lpi is too fine to actually afford a decent grip, that is why I chose 25 lpi on the front strap and mainspring housing on my 1911. I got my Ed Brown mainspring housing from Brownells and they were all the same price...

trashman
03-06-2007, 4:06 PM
Is your presumption that since it assumedly costs the same to execute they should charge the same - correct?

My guess is that 30 is too sharp & 20 doesn't provide the best grip. The 25 lpi probably is best and as such they as a company should charge more to earn profits & stay in business. Not saying I agree, but that may be their approach.

That makes sense. I assumed that there was some linear relationship of finer checkering to cost; but if what you say (the 25lpi being the best of all three) then yes, they're right to charge more :)

--Neill

pklin1297
03-06-2007, 4:11 PM
Only time I've seen price differences between checkering (front strap or mainspring housing, etc.), is when the checkering is done by hand. If and when you buy a mass produced mainspring housing, the checkering is done by machine and production costs are the same so there is no reason for the extra charge.