PDA

View Full Version : Any gun shops in SoCal that display 4" S&W 500?

SoCalGuy
03-06-2007, 2:07 PM
Anyone know of any gun shops in Orange County, California that have a S&W 500 4" on display so I can practice a Safe Handling Demonstration with it before deciding to buy it? If not OC, how about L.A. County, Riverside County or San Diego county? Thanks.

Kruzr
03-06-2007, 2:24 PM
Practice a safe handling demonstration? You may want to wait a bit and go and rent guns for a while before you spend any money on a gun.

EBWhite
03-06-2007, 2:30 PM
Why do you want an SW 500?

Turners might have one that you can hold. I will tell you the gun is nice, it kicks big time. Its a hunter's back up for large game. Nothing more. Not great for accuracy b/c of kick. Ammo is expensive, buck a round atleast.

Matt C
03-06-2007, 3:07 PM
This is NOT a good first gun, and buying it without shooting it first is.... Nevermind, buy it, and when you decide to sell it a week later after one shot, let me know.

Black Majik
03-06-2007, 3:15 PM
Do you ride a Hayabusa as a first bike too? :D

Seriously, get a low recoiling gun for a first gun, or even a rimfire .22. Learn the basics first. Plus, with .500 S&W mag ammo being so expensive you're not gonna shoot it much.

Start with a good quality 9mm first, or if you want to go revolver, look into a S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100.

SoCalGuy
03-06-2007, 3:47 PM
Practice a safe handling demonstration? You may want to wait a bit and go and rent guns for a while before you spend any money on a gun.

Do I have to go through a special process, like background check, waiting period, DROS, residency proof, etc. to rent a handgun?

Kruzr
03-06-2007, 3:53 PM
Do I have to go through a special process, like background check, waiting period, DROS, residency proof, etc. to rent a handgun?

No, provided you are 21 and have shot handguns before. Most of the ranges that rent guns, you just have to go to the range in a party of two or more. You sign a waiver and leave them your ID while you shoot.

If you haven't shot a handgun before, you will have to go with someone who can teach you or better yet, sign up and take a basic handgun course somewhere. It will be well worth your time. You will learn the 4 most important rules you'll ever learn if you intend to be around guns.

BTW, I don't know if you'll find anyplace that rents the S&W 500 or many that allow it to be shot indoors. You'll be able to shoot up through .44 magnum. Try that and then think about that the 500 is about 20% more recoil.

JesseXXX
03-06-2007, 3:58 PM
Turners in Redondo Bch has one....

PIRATE14
03-06-2007, 4:02 PM
500 S&W is an easy gun to shoot.....if you shoot the 275 grain bullets....those heavy ones will leave marks on you:D

Plus they have the special version which is a shorter case.... even less recoil

But I wouldn't buy as your first gun......get a 357....u can shoot cheap 38 reloads and super hot 357 for pyro displays...:D

pklin1297
03-06-2007, 4:03 PM
Anyone know of any gun shops in Orange County, California that have a S&W 500 4" on display so I can practice a Safe Handling Demonstration with it before deciding to buy it? If not OC, how about L.A. County, Riverside County or San Diego county? Thanks.

Depending on where you go, the clerk behind the counter will usually demonstrate what you need to do to demonstrate "Safe Handling" and then have you repeat it to show you are capable of doing it, so you don't really have to "know" how to handle a specific type of firearm before you go in, though you should know the basics. Safe handling of semi-auto pistols will involved loading/unloading of magazines but shouldn't be bad at all with revolvers. Let's put it this way, not many shops will ask you to take back the money you paid to them for your new gun for not successfully dropping a mag and reinsert on the first try. :D

JPN6336
03-06-2007, 4:41 PM
On Target in South Orange county actually has the 4" 500 available for rent. I shot it last Saturday. Unfortunately you can only shoot ammo you buy there in their rental guns because it's $3 a round. If you haven't shot large caliber handguns before you may only need to spend $3 or so as it's quite a handful. The biggest issue is the muzzle blast from that short barrel. It was kind of like being on the grenade range.:cool:

rorschach
03-06-2007, 5:47 PM
I got my 8" .500 at Turners Norwalk, I'm sure they have the 4" as well.

randy
03-07-2007, 12:22 AM
You can rent a 4" 500 at Oaktree Gun Club. Shoot it see if you like it.

rod
03-07-2007, 6:28 AM
Royal Loan in San Diego had one. It might still be there. I held it while I was doing my transfer and was surprised at how light it was. I thought that thing would weigh a ton.

naimad
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
The 500 s&w is a fun gun to shoot the corbon 440 grain loads are pretty brutal youll feel those for a few days after, cabellas has some rounds for around $200.00 for 200 rounds they shoot good and dont have much recoil ive shot the 8 3/8 and 2 3/4 inch models :D I wouldnt recommend this for your first gun, i would rent one first to see if its for you

bwiese
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
If you are looking for a big-bore handcannon, I would suggest an S&W in 460S&W instead.

These guns can shoot the (slighty tamer) 454 Casull and much tamer 45 Colt ("45LC") rounds as well.