PDA

View Full Version : Featureless rifle and hand stop?

TheThousands
12-15-2011, 1:56 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if a hand stop is considered a forward grip? I want to swap some stuff out in order to go featureless but wasn't sure of I can leave the handstop on or not.

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 2:37 PM
It's fine.

Please note: You will never find any information on what "is allowed". You will only ever find information on what is not allowed. Nothing matching a handstop is in any "not allowed" penal code.

-W

TheThousands
12-15-2011, 2:39 PM
Excellent thanks :) Yeah I noticed that they only ever tell you what is ILLEGAl, not what is legal :(

Fate
12-15-2011, 3:22 PM
I've posted the rulemaking documents many times regarding the definition of a "forward pistol grip." In those documents it mentions a hand stop as well as bipods, sights and sling mounts as things that CANNOT be considered a F.P.G. The first requirement of a F.P.G. is that it actually IS a grip. Handstops aren't. That first requirement is why the Magpul AFG gets into the grey area very quickly and has larger hurdles to overcome on a featureless rifle than if it was called something else.

Handstops are good to go on featureless rifles. I run one on mine (after doing all the research).

http://i48.tinypic.com/nb590.jpg

TheThousands
12-15-2011, 3:43 PM
awesome! Your rifle is exactly what I'm looking to do, if you don't mind me asking what is the stock you have?

Flying Bones
12-15-2011, 7:29 PM
Thanks Fate.

liv4spd
12-15-2011, 7:47 PM
Fate - what grip is that? Looks like a mix between a Hogue and MMG..?

Fate
12-15-2011, 8:06 PM
awesome! Your rifle is exactly what I'm looking to do, if you don't mind me asking what is the stock you have?
It's a Sully. It's between the Bushmaster Entry and the A1 in length. Solid core so you can drill into it and put in a quick release socket if you like. The newer design eliminated the bottom sling swivel. Member "lawaia" had one of the newer models on his featureless. I know there's a pic of it in the gallery thread.

Fate - what grip is that? Looks like a mix between a Hogue and MMG..?

CAA grip with homemade fin. It's 12 gauge steel, cut to fit, and slid into a slot that was cut slightly offset in the rear of the grip. Then it's bolted to the left side with bolts and locknuts. Steel fin was sprayed black with truck bed liner.

strongpoint
12-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Excellent thanks :) Yeah I noticed that they only ever tell you what is ILLEGAl, not what is legal :(

that's the way the legal system works in a theoretically free society -- things are legal unless a law says they're not.