PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4, How much did Colt make?

cannon
12-15-2011, 1:50 PM
Another thread got me wondering about Colt.

On the new to Calif. Colt M4's.

What percentage of this rifle is made in house at Colt and what parts were outsourced?

SoCalSig1911
12-15-2011, 1:54 PM
Another thread got me wondering about Colt.

On the new to Calif. Colt M4's.

What percentage of this rifle is made in house at Colt and what parts were outsourced?

I don't know how anyone here would know that.. Colt does whatever they want, as long as the parts are built to the specs on the drawings and their suppliers are ISO 9001 AS9100 certified and supply all necessary certifications for materials and outside processes than there is really no difference in who's machine they are running on IMO..

cannon
12-15-2011, 2:05 PM
I don't know how anyone here would know that.. Colt does whatever they want, as long as the parts are built to the specs on the drawings and their suppliers are ISO 9001 AS9100 certified and supply all necessary certifications for materials and outside processes than there is really no difference in who's machine they are running on IMO..

I completely agree with you that as long as the part meets Colt specs it does not matter who makes them. I personally don't care if every part is contracted out. You'll notice I did not ask who made any parts that were outsourced.

I am just curious how much of the rifle is done in house.

SoCalSig1911
12-15-2011, 2:19 PM
I completely agree with you that as long as the part meets Colt specs it does not matter who makes them. I personally don't care if every part is contracted out. You'll notice I did not ask who made any parts that were outsourced.

I am just curious how much of the rifle is done in house.

The only way to find out i would say is from Colt employees that actually work or run their machining facilities. Other than that i don't think Colt would make it public information as to how much they are actually making in house and give away secrets like profit margins and other such proprietary information. I just don't think there is anyway to know those facts unless Colt was listing the information and i don't think they do, at least i haven't seen it.