PDA

View Full Version : Bumpfire stocks

rob86
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Are bumpfire stocks legal in california?

RazzB7
12-15-2011, 12:38 PM
No.

12020 PC.
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any ... {snip}..., any multiburst trigger activator,

(c)
(23) As used in this section, a "multiburst trigger activator" means one of the following devices:
(A) A device designed or redesigned to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm which allows the firearm to discharge two or more shots in a burst by activating the device.

(B) A manual or power-driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that when attached to a semiautomatic firearm it increases the rate of fire of that firearm.

Us3rName
short and sweet

NO

zfields
:facepalm:

Bhobbs
12-15-2011, 12:44 PM

I felt a second one was necessary.

RazzB7
12-15-2011, 12:47 PM

I felt a second one was necessary.

So, if we read on the interwebz sometime that this guy had gotten busted with one of these stocks, we wouldn't say "All he had to do was come on CalGuns and ask!"

Yes, he could have used the search feature, but we all know the CGN search sux ballz.

The guy's new. Cut him some slack. You were new once.

rob86
12-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I saw them on the net and wasn't sure.

Bhobbs
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
So, if we read on the interwebz sometime that this guy had gotten busted with one of these stocks, we wouldn't say "All he had to do was come on CalGuns and ask!"

Yes, he could have used the search feature, but we all know the CGN search sux ballz.

My bad. I thought it was stickied.

bohoki
12-15-2011, 5:49 PM
its not a good idea

but one could argue the device does not activate the trigger so (B) does not apply

stix213
12-15-2011, 5:53 PM

Has there actually been anyone busted for this stock yet? I don't believe that's the case. There is still some debate as to the legality of the stock. The "no its illegal" is based on Bwiese's and a lawyer's opinion, but not on any case law or DOJ declaration (which they will not give out prior to an arrest, I know).

The illegality hinges on the stock increasing the rate of fire of the firearm to a rate higher than is achieved with regular bumpfire. Its not plain as day if that is really the case. (I can bumpfire a 30 round mag completely without stopping, which is the same rate the bumpfire stock would, so no increase in rate of fire with the stock, so should be legal. Bwiese claims the DOJ will use someone who doesn't know how to bumpfire manually as evidence to set the regular bumpfire rate as lower than the stock achieves, but I'm not sure that is a valid argument.)

Still not a good idea to sport one at the range obviously. CGF is unlikely to support your case when arrested, and I would expect arrest.

e-zee
12-15-2011, 9:29 PM
Slidefire stocks have a letter from BATFE saying they are legal.

http://www.slidefiresolutions.com/docs/BATF-Approval-Letter.pdf

peter95
12-15-2011, 9:30 PM
No. It wasn't 3 months ago, 2 and 1.

I think this pops up once a month. We should sticky this.... haha

Bhobbs
12-15-2011, 10:01 PM

http://www.slidefiresolutions.com/docs/BATF-Approval-Letter.pdf

The BATFE says it's legal but they don't care about California gun laws. CA DOJ is who would have to approve it for use here.

strongpoint
12-15-2011, 10:33 PM

a letter from a federal agency saying the federal prosecutors won't go after you because they don't violate federal law will do you absolutely no good if a state agency tells a state prosecutor they violate a state law.

Mr310
12-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Negative. Next question.

MrPlink
12-16-2011, 12:59 AM
I think the real question here is: can I use hi caps in my mag locked rifle?
Ak or Ar?
556 or 308?
Is the bullet button Doj approved?
Aimpoint or Eotech?

:D

e-zee
12-16-2011, 4:49 AM
a letter from a federal agency saying the federal prosecutors won't go after you because they don't violate federal law will do you absolutely no good if a state agency tells a state prosecutor they violate a state law.

Gotcha.

Geetarguy
12-16-2011, 5:11 AM
Saw a booth selling them at the last Crossroads gun show...I know that doesnt make it legal...but just saying...

shark92651
12-16-2011, 6:44 AM
Saw a booth selling them at the last Crossroads gun show...I know that doesnt make it legal...but just saying...

Yeah, and they will show you the federal letter from the ATF if you are considering buying one. I put this in the same category as using the MagMagnet to drop your magazine - too risky for California, IMO.