PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME! I need proof of California residency

SoCalGuy
03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I was born and raised in California for my 21 year of existence and still live with my parents. I want to buy a S&W 500 4" revolver. I'm not in the military, I don't rent, and I don't have a utility bill, property deed, or car registration in my (full) name, but these documents are all in my parents' name (and we all of course share the same last name and residence address).

What can I use, then, as proof of residency for my handgun purchase? Driver's licenses, hunting/fishing licenses, cell phone bills, passports, pay stubs, and bank statements can't be used.

Check out this link before replying: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#33G

Thanks.

DRM6000
03-06-2007, 12:38 PM
you can use a notorized statement from a parent that states you live with them rent-free.

paradox
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I was born and raised in California for my 21 year of existence and still live with my parents. I want to buy a S&W 500 4" revolver. I'm not in the military, I don't rent, and I don't have a utility bill, property deed, or car registration in my (full) name, but these documents are all in my parents' name (and we all of course share the same last name and residence address).

What can I use, then, as proof of residency for my handgun purchase? Driver's licenses, hunting/fishing licenses, cell phone bills, passports, pay stubs, and bank statements can't be used.

Thanks.

Have your parents write up a rental agreement with you. Ta da, problem solved.

asintado
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM

DITTO

Exiledviking
03-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Staples has a ready-to-fill-in rental agreement form available.

EKIM
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I found this when I was searching for the same thing. Haven't tried it but I think some people have.

http://www.lectlaw.com/forms/f091.htm

I searched calguns with "sample lease" and it was the second thread (of the two) and on the second page I think.

ocabj
03-06-2007, 1:43 PM
c&r ffl

Fedge
03-06-2007, 1:44 PM
you can use a notorized statement from a parent that states you live with them rent-free.

I just had the same situation. I used my drivers lic and had my father write up a letter that stated that I am a CA resident, and that I live with him and pay no rent. Notorize it, and you're good to go.

Wulf
03-06-2007, 5:15 PM

Could be a really expensive gun.

dfletcher
03-06-2007, 5:51 PM
Regarding the C & R FFL, I've found most places accept it, a few do not. Since I have other ways of demonstrating residence I've not really pushed it. You know how some owners react when you tell them something they don't want to know.

kneedeep
03-06-2007, 6:23 PM
Could be a really expensive gun.

LOL:D !!!!

michaels
03-06-2007, 9:05 PM
Go to your county registar of voters and ask for a voter registration card. It is free, takes about 3 minutes for them to make you one. It is highly reconmended by DOJ for proof of residency. And if you're not registered to vote, sign yourself up, you have no excuse...

michaels

Trader Jack
03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Go to your county registar of voters and ask for a voter registration card. It is free, takes about 3 minutes for them to make you one. It is highly reconmended by DOJ for proof of residency. And if you're not registered to vote, sign yourself up, you have no excuse...

michaels

Voter Registration do not work and will not be accepted by most dealers.
Why you ask? A start and end date is need on the goverment document.
That information is not on a VRC

eviioiive
03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
-used to work at a gun store.. all you need is a note from your parent with your name on it, your parents name, your address, the dates you have lived there, and your parents and your signature.

DRM6000
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Voter Registration do not work and will not be accepted by most dealers.
Why you ask? A start and end date is need on the goverment document.
That information is not on a VRC

no start date is requried. the governement issued document has to have an expiration date in addadition to the person's name and address.

leelaw
03-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Get a rental agreement form your parents. Get them to sign it. Make sure it has the address on it. Don't waste the $$ on notarizing it - it's not needed.

KrizB
03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
http://www.lectlaw.com/forms/f091.htm

I used that for my first handgun purchase.
Took awhile to find a site that had it up for free (some sites charged $10-$40 for the form).

Didn't find out until after handing it over that I could have just had my parents sign and date a hand written letter/note with the info.:o
Glad I didn't notarize it.

catsupsam
03-06-2007, 11:33 PM
another idea...
have your parents add you onto a utility bill...
just have them call Edison and request a change of customer name, the next bill will have your name on it. nothing else changes, just the addition of your name.
it works.

A bonus, if and when you move out, you will already have a record with the utility as a good customer and may not need to go in in person and pay a deposit etc.

1hotshooter
03-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Am I missing something?

If you are a U.S. citizen, a Cali resident with a Cali driver's license -
you don't need any more proof that you are a resident -

You ARE....a resident - no further proof required....

Where are you doing your background check?

Something doesn't make sense.

hoffmang
03-07-2007, 12:01 AM
1hot,

Its a silly extra CA law regarding handguns designed to just make it harder to purchase. Its real, bogus, and serves no purpose.

-Gene

SoCalGuy
03-07-2007, 1:22 AM

michaels

Can anybody else testify as to whether voter registration cards are accepted? Do they have either an expiration date or period of validity? And is what the writer said above--that DOJ recommends it--really true?

BTW, I'm not really inclined to get my parents involved in this or anything that has to be notarized by them.

Thanks!

CALI-gula
03-07-2007, 2:01 AM
What can I use, then, as proof of residency for my handgun purchase? Driver's licenses, hunting/fishing licenses, cell phone bills, passports, pay stubs, and bank statements can't be used. Thanks.

I'll tell you what - I'll let you put my DWP bill in your name for the next 12 months, by which of course you will also pay it when it's due, and you can use that as your proof of residency! How's that ?!?!?!

:p :D :p

tankerman
03-07-2007, 5:33 AM
I posted a letter that carried a response to that question from the DOJ.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51077
If you want a full copy of the letter I can email it to you.

desertram800
03-07-2007, 6:15 AM
you're 21 years old, and have no bills? Do you have a job? Use a paystub. Car insurance bill? Car registration?

halifax
03-07-2007, 6:32 AM
BTW, I'm not really inclined to get my parents involved in this or anything that has to be notarized by them.

Thanks!

That's a troublesome statement for me. If you plan to bring a gun into someone else's home, they should know about it. If you need to do this behind their backs, you really need to get out on your own.

IMO

LECTRIKHED
03-07-2007, 7:14 AM
I actually had the same problem when buying my first pistol. I don't live at home, but my name wasn't on the lease or bills where I lived. I ended up doing a rental contract just for the handgun purchase.

HowardW56
03-07-2007, 7:39 AM
Regarding the C & R FFL, I've found most places accept it, a few do not. Since I have other ways of demonstrating residence I've not really pushed it. You know how some owners react when you tell them something they don't want to know.

They might not like the C&R, but with that you should have a Certificate of Eligibility.... That does work, if they refuse it,m just call DOJ, they will help you “fix it”…

david_place_834
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
According to a person at the Firearms Division, a San Francisco voter registration card is not a valid form of proof of residency because it does not state a beginning date AND an expiration date. However, I do know that a few FFL's will accept this

The least fuss is to use a residential lease agreement. That is perfectly acceptable, since it is the truth. Some FFL's require the lease to be notarized (but that's just for butt coverage).

catsupsam
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
The OP doesn't want to go the rental/lease route.

Trader Jack
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
:) no start date is requried. the governement issued document has to have an expiration date in addadition to the person's name and address.

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out.:)

michaels
03-08-2007, 7:12 PM
ask to speak to the supervisor on duty at DOJ, advise them that their boss has ok'd the voter reg card and would they please contact him (i don't have his name handy, but I can get it if you need it). They will call you back shortly with "oh yeah, we had that question and the attorney general's office did say that it was a vaild form of ID to use for a proof of residency".

I had this problem last year, all of my addresses come back to a Post Office Box, since I don't have US Mail delivery to my residence. My voter reg card has my legal residence address on it. It's the only thing I've got that is a governmental issued piece of paper with that address on it. I did have to go to the top of the food chain at DOJ, but once I got there, they were very nice about and bent over backwards to help me. Give them a call back and go a little higher in the chain. I've bought 10-14 handguns with this card, from at least 5 different FFL holders, each one has called DOJ and gotten the OK to use it.

michaels

asintado
03-08-2007, 7:54 PM

Thanks!

Then, you're just SOL. You can take your chances with your voter's registration but if an FFL says no what then. Even if the FFL is in the wrong he can't get in trouble and you can't really blame them. They're only trying to do things by the book and protect their license. In my experience the FFLs were more than OK with an impromptu rental agreement rather than a voter's registration.

michaels
03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
If the ffl won't accept the document that DOJ says is legal, then it's time to find a new ffl. Here is a document that is produced by THE government, is used to verify your legal residence so that you can vote and is embosed with the county seal of issuance. If my ffl wouldn't accept it, I'd be out the door and find somebody else to do business with. Just my 2 cents worth. I just had to resubmit my fingerprints because of my work with a city government, needed a 2nd document to verify who I am, my voter card was accepted after a phone call was made to the DA's office and the County Registar of Voters. First time the Police Dept had seen one, they included it in a new list of documents to use for verification. and did I say it was free? Can't beat that...

michaels

slick_711
03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Everyone else has given good options/possibilities/advice, so I'm going to go out on a limb and give the one piece of advice nobody else suggested. Forgive me ahead of time for being a jerk.

Move out of your parents house. Incur some responsibility. At the very least, purchase your car from your parents, and have them transfer the title to you and get yourself a corrected copy of your vehicle registration. That would provide you with an ideal second proof at minimal cost & work. It's something you'll have to eventually anyway.

Why a S&W 500 for your first gun? You reload I hope? My first pistol was a .45 and I can't afford to shoot it as much as I'd like to (despite working 35 hours a week and an employee discount on ammo). Again, I hate to be a dick, but you've picked the most expensive ammo out there to buy as your first pistol. Just keep that in mind, and if you still want it, more power to you.

Look into transferring the title on your vehicle, AAA or the DMV will do it for you and it is fairly simple.

boogak
03-09-2007, 7:08 PM

+1 or lease recipt have parents write it out

catsupsam
03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post

""BTW, I'm not really inclined to get my parents involved in this or anything that has to be notarized by them.

Thanks!""

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-10-2007, 2:26 PM
Well, at least Reed's will not accept a signed form by your parents. I called them about this issue, and they shot it down pretty quickly. Only the more I guess only the more "official" forms are allowed be them. So, I'd advocate the rental agreement idea.

E__WOK
03-10-2007, 3:00 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Grow up and put the landline phone bill in your name and pay it off from now on.

Now you can buy a handgun anytime.

I was in the same situation that you were in.

NeoWeird
03-10-2007, 3:15 PM
Ok, there is a lot of advice in here and some is good and some is bad. I can'tfind it now, but I remember last year the DOJ stopped accepting a Voter Registration card. I know this because I tried to use it and I was told I couldn't, so I went to the DOJ's website and found the notice that they were not allowing the use of a voter registration card as proof of residency. The Pay stub is also not accepted. Period. That is addressed by the DOJ in several documents. Keep in mind just because one store accepts it does not make it acceptable by all FFLs.

Take a look at this for a bit of clarity on what is and isn't proof of residency:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf.php

A lease agreement IS an acceptable form of residency. The guidlines by the DOJ of what a lease agreement is is a piece of paper stating your name and the address of residency that states what amount of money or service must be given to another party to stay in their abode for a given period of time. Your lease agreement with your parents can say you give the service of not pissing them off to stay there each month and that is fine. If the store tells you they won't take it if it's from your parents then use your mother's maiden name hyphenated at the end of her married name (if your John Doe then she might become Jane Doe-Smith). Put in something like "Maintenance and general repair of the premise(s)" as the the rent (be careful putting in a dollar amount as it could get either of you into tax trouble, not likely but it is a possability). Don't say it's your parents, just hand them the paper. If they question it just say something like "yeah it's a trash heap and no one would rent it, so the owner is letting me stay there under the condition I fix it up within 6 months." They will put it right through. If not, then tell them to call the DOJ and/or point them to the DOJ's website.

C&R FFL is also acceptable as a form of residency, though some don't like to take it. I've had to POLITELY tell two different FFLs that it was accepted because it was a government issued ID with my name, address, and an expiration date. After reviewing their guidelines both of them put it right through. I also had the privlage of being the first person to use a C&R as their form of residency with BSP (or so I was told). He didn't give me any hassle about, but said he didn't know you could use it; so I pointed out that it was government issue and had my name and address with an expiration just to put him at ease (Chris is as mellow as they come, but I am sure he has seen his share of people trying to trick him, so I just wanted to make sure he was ok with it).

I believe you can also use your Selective Service card but I may be wrong. I don't ever remember getting mine, but I do know that I signed up (did it online though and got a confirmation in the mail). I wonder if I can send away for it now...

Either way, go with the lease. If you parent refuse to do the lease then you should respect their wishes and not own firearms in their house. I know, I had to live with that as well. I had wanted a firearm, BB gun, Bow, etc since I was a little kid but my parents were strictly 'no weapons in the house'. I moved out at 19 and three years later I own ~30. So just do whats right and it will work out for you.

Good luck and hope you get it.

ps. I'd suggest getting something a bit different than a S&W 500. I know it's big and cool, but it will cost you an arm and a leg to shoot it, it will teach you bad habbits if it's your first handgun, and you will just not enjoy it. Get something smaller and more common like something in 9mm, .45, or .357 (and use .38s in it). Trust me, you will enjoy it more in the long run, especially after that hand cannon 'cool!...' wears off.

pps. get a job and get your own place to live you moocher!:D

TRod1222
03-10-2007, 5:28 PM
So if I have Car insurance in my name.. but car is under banks name b/c its being paid off so car reg says the banks name with mine and my parents name. does that work? pay stubs?anything besides the rental agreement my parents don't want a gun in the house... i want a pistol but it will stay at my friends appt. i would never disrespect my parents like that.

jerryg1776
03-10-2007, 9:16 PM
So if I have Car insurance in my name.. but car is under banks name b/c its being paid off so car reg says the banks name with mine and my parents name. does that work? pay stubs?anything besides the rental agreement my parents don't want a gun in the house... i want a pistol but it will stay at my friends appt. i would never disrespect my parents like that.

If its at your buddy's place. Make sure that it is locked and secured and that only you have access to use it. Not meaning to be a dick but there are very very few people that I would trust with unsupervised access to my weapons.

Its not just about liability, its about responsibilty.

But then again, my father taught me to shoot. Bought a NIB S&W Model 19 357 mag when I was 13 and told me that someday, when I learned it and earned it, it would be mine. I still remember the day that he finally handed it to me, said it was all mine and told me he was proud of me. I would never disrespect my parents in their own house, or out of the house.

If you buy a pistol nd keep it at your buddy's place, they should know that you own it - be a man and tell them - you might be surprised.

S&W 500 - damn son...not sure what to say, to each his own.

asintado
03-11-2007, 3:09 PM

You'd be disrespecting them by hiding the fact you're purchasing a firearm and keeping it at a friends place. Prove to them you're responsible enough to own and operate a firearm and it may change their mind. My folks were the same way, now we have multiple firearms in the house and I got my dad interested in guns again. I also keep firearms at the place I rent where I go to school and I let all my roommates know I'm keeping a firearm (properly secured of course). It's not just a respect issue, its a safety issue as well.

HowardW56
03-11-2007, 5:20 PM

You have a car registration with your name and your parents names on it? If so, what is the problem?

You already have your proof of residency....

HowardW56
03-11-2007, 7:52 PM
You have a car registration with your name and your parents names on it? If so, what is the problem?

You already have your proof of residency....