PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X39 Ammo

Ruger Rick
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Can you guys name off any brands of 7.62X39 ammo you can think of that would be accepted for use at Angeles? I was looking at Sportsman's Guide and they have a many brands, but Im not sure which are steel core, and which arent. Id like to buy some in bulk, and Id hate to find out that I bought some which isnt allowed at ASR. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

Cali-Shooter
12-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Yugo mil-surp, it comes in wooden crates if you buy a whole case, and it's usually priced around $.17 a round if you look hard enough. Non-magnetic, brass cased, only problem is it's corrosive, so you must clean your rifle accordingly after use.

pacifico23
12-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Yugo is allowed at Angeles range?? I'm also curious what's the cheapest ammo that you can use at Angeles.

Scratch705
12-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Yugo is allowed at Angeles range?? I'm also curious what's the cheapest ammo that you can use at Angeles.

yugo will be the cheapest x39 since it is milsurp. and it is non-magnetic.

pacifico23
12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh sweet. I thought yugo wasn't allowed there. Good to know!

Ruger Rick
12-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Since Ruger doesnt recommend using corrosive ammo, Yugo surplus is outta the question, Im afraid. Thanks anyway, Cali Shooter!

Cali-Shooter
12-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh, I thought it was going to be shot out of an AK-47. It's a mini-30 I assume?

You can look into getting Wolf "yellow box" non-magnetic lead core ammo. They are somewhat hard to find compared to the normal "black box" ammo, but it is out there.

And any 7.62x39 from Winchester, Remington, American Eagle, Prvi Partizan, and PMC is all non-magnetic. But those you usually pay premium prices for.

zfields
12-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Since Ruger doesnt recommend using corrosive ammo, Yugo surplus is outta the question, Im afraid. Thanks anyway, Cali Shooter!

As long as you clean it, its fine. No way in hell a firearm company is going to recommend anything steel cased, reloaded, corrosive, high pressure, etc etc.

Ergo the Qualmed
12-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Fiocchi can be had for $12.99/20 at Big 5. Nice stuff.

jonc
12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Wolf yellow box...

Scratch705
12-15-2011, 2:18 AM
Wolf yellow box...

if he can even find it. and at prices that you usually see them go for, he might as well go for the new manufactuer x39 like from prvi.

MrPlink
12-15-2011, 3:24 AM

good call, more for me!

Mail Clerk
12-15-2011, 6:54 AM
Can you guys name off any brands of 7.62X39 ammo you can think of that would be accepted for use at Angeles? I was looking at Sportsman's Guide and they have a many brands, but Im not sure which are steel core, and which arent. Id like to buy some in bulk, and Id hate to find out that I bought some which isnt allowed at ASR. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

Ruger Rick,

I'm in the same delima with regards to Angeles range! The best I can mention to you is to get American manufactured ammo. Off hand I can mention PMC (if you can find some) Remington "yellow box" generic, Fiocchi etc. Heck...these guys won't allow Wolf ammo on the range but funny they sell it in there shop? What goes here? I had thought Wold was copper/lead cored ammo and they say it's steel all the way. Those guys and their rules really put a damper on my fun and hobby. I shoot carefully and safely all the time and never shoot at rocks but every time they see an AK they go bananas.:(

I feel for you dude but they have the entire area in their pocket cuz ranges are drying up. They can say and do anything they want.

Mail Clerk

crazychinaman
12-15-2011, 8:49 AM
Check out ammoman .com.They have yugo brass case ,non magnetic bullets ,slightly corrosive 7.62x39 at $249.00 for 1260 rds,free shipping and no tax. I go to Angeles once a month no problem.I shoots great,no jams.

Cali-Shooter
12-15-2011, 9:39 AM
Angeles is a nice range, but the staff there make me cringe in frustration. I prefer Burro Canyon or On Target.

Timbob55
12-15-2011, 9:47 AM
yugo will be the cheapest x39 since it is milsurp. and it is non-magnetic.

it's also super clean!

Ruger Rick
12-15-2011, 4:31 PM
Oh, I thought it was going to be shot out of an AK-47. It's a mini-30 I assume?

You can look into getting Wolf "yellow box" non-magnetic lead core ammo. They are somewhat hard to find compared to the normal "black box" ammo, but it is out there.

And any 7.62x39 from Winchester, Remington, American Eagle, Prvi Partizan, and PMC is all non-magnetic. But those you usually pay premium prices for.Thanks man! I appreciate it. Yeah, Im shootin a Mini 30, so I kinda wanna stay away from loads that will harm the gun. What do you think about those "Bear" brands? Golden, Silver, etc... Im looking on Sportsman's Guide, and they seem to have quite a few loads from this brand.

As long as you clean it, its fine. No way in hell a firearm company is going to recommend anything steel cased, reloaded, corrosive, high pressure, etc etc.Really? Well, if thats the case, I guess Ill look into purchasing some Yugo. Any special cleaners or solvents i need to use for corrosive ammo?

Angeles is a nice range, but the staff there make me cringe in frustration. I prefer Burro Canyon or On Target.Its not too bad out there. I pretty much do what I know they want done on the line, so I dont have to hear them every 5 minutes, and Im fine.

Ruger Rick
12-15-2011, 4:35 PM
Ruger Rick,

I'm in the same delima with regards to Angeles range! The best I can mention to you is to get American manufactured ammo. Off hand I can mention PMC (if you can find some) Remington "yellow box" generic, Fiocchi etc. Heck...these guys won't allow Wolf ammo on the range but funny they sell it in there shop? What goes here? I had thought Wold was copper/lead cored ammo and they say it's steel all the way. Those guys and their rules really put a damper on my fun and hobby. I shoot carefully and safely all the time and never shoot at rocks but every time they see an AK they go bananas.:(

I feel for you dude but they have the entire area in their pocket cuz ranges are drying up. They can say and do anything they want.

Mail ClerkThanks, bro. I appreciate the info! And yeah, Angeles is pretty much my only choice, unless I go to Frazier Park, and thats not too often, because I dont have a 4x4... As far as the ammo, Ive only bought Fiocchi ammo from Angeles, which was outrageous to say the least.

stix213
12-15-2011, 4:36 PM
Ruger Rick,

Mail Clerk

Anyone who tells you Wolf is steel core is full of crap. It is lead core, but it does though have some steel in the jacketing that makes it magnetic.

Ruger Rick
12-15-2011, 4:41 PM
Does Burro Canyon have the same ammo restrictions in place as ASR?

zfields
12-15-2011, 4:48 PM
Rick,

You need to use water and wash out your barrel, gas system ( sorry I dont know the Mini 14 well enough to tell you the exact parts ) and bolt area. Basically anywhere that powder or gases touch, need to be washed out with water, then clean with your normal solvent, and lube as usual.

64ssking
12-15-2011, 5:17 PM
big 5 has mfs on sale for 7.99 can you use this stuff at angels?

zfields
12-15-2011, 6:20 PM
All the MFS I have shot was zinc cased / bimental jacket.

Ruger Rick
12-15-2011, 9:18 PM
Rick,

You need to use water and wash out your barrel, gas system ( sorry I dont know the Mini 14 well enough to tell you the exact parts ) and bolt area. Basically anywhere that powder or gases touch, need to be washed out with water, then clean with your normal solvent, and lube as usual.Thanks zfields. I appreciate the info. Ill have to look into which parts of the gas system Id have to clean for sure when using corrosive ammo...

Ruger Rick
12-15-2011, 9:19 PM
What do you guys think about those "Bear" brands? Golden, Silver, etc... Im looking on Sportsman's Guide, and they seem to have quite a few loads from this brand.
Anyone?

zfields
12-15-2011, 9:35 PM
They are all good to go. All are bimetal jacketed though.

Personally I run Uly whitebox, or "herters" which is the same stuff repackaged by cabelas. Cleaner then wolf, seem to be more accurate, but again, steel cased/jacketed.

Ruger Rick
12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
They are all good to go. All are bimetal jacketed though.Cool. Thats what Im lookin for, a bi metal (non metallic), non corrosive load.

maxmonster
12-16-2011, 12:12 AM
^ Wait what??? isn't all bear ammo steel cased?

zfields
12-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Cool. Thats what Im lookin for, a bi metal (non metallic), non corrosive load.

Bi-metal is Metallic/magnetic. Its mild steel with a copper wash, and lead core, and a steel casing.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Cool. Thats what Im lookin for, a bi metal (non metallic), non corrosive load.

I think you are getting confused here. You are not looking for ammo with "bi metal" projectiles. The term "bi metal" is just a marketing name for steel jacketed ammo. "Bi metal" projectiles have steel jackets that have a thin wash of copper over them. They are attracted to a magnet and not allowed at most So-Cal outdoor ranges.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
^ Wait what??? isn't all bear ammo steel cased?

Yes it is. But more importantly, it is also steel jacketed. The OP would be happy with steel cased ammo as long as it isn't steel jacketed.

johnthomas
12-16-2011, 12:44 AM
A little confused here. Does Ruger recommend you not use corrosive ammo or you won't use it because it doesn't specifically recommend corrosive ammo.

Mail Clerk
12-16-2011, 7:01 AM
Thanks, bro. I appreciate the info! And yeah, Angeles is pretty much my only choice, unless I go to Frazier Park, and thats not too often, because I dont have a 4x4... As far as the ammo, Ive only bought Fiocchi ammo from Angeles, which was outrageous to say the least.

Ruger Rick,

In part ammo is scarse cuz of the war in Afgan and such. Ammo companies are working to capicity to satisfy both sides. I remember I was able to buy a box of good non-corrosive ammo for about $300/box. That was good times cuz you can affoer to buy a quick $20's worth and stock itup for your shooting pleasure. Now were stuck with cheaper Russian steel for the same price and the very expensive American ammo.

To be fair to Angeles the edge of the range rides right up against the forest and that's considered to be Federal land. Any fires that starts and they Feds go directly to the range. In part that's why therange prices are higher too cuz of insurance issues. If they would push more dirt and make a bigger taller birm then perhaps steel could be used but they choose not to. This is where they fall.

Mail Clerk

1forall
12-16-2011, 7:48 AM
Yugo surplus...grab it while you can because it seems as if everyone wants it.

donking
12-16-2011, 9:29 AM
Not sure if this is bi-metal, anyone try it?
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/100rds-762x39-prvi-partizan-123gr-fmj-ammo/cName/762x39-fmj-ammo
This is slightly less cost
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/100rds-762x39-prvi-partizan-123gr-soft-point-round-nose-ammo/cName/762x39-soft-point-ammo

This is about the same price, but doesn't say if bi-metal
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/FI762SOVA_CASE.aspx

zfields
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
those are not bi-metal.

Its a semi safe bet that if its boxer primed, its brass cased / copper jacketed.

Blaze Kenobi
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Is there any where in Angeles Forest where you can just get lost in the mountains and shoot?

Cali-Shooter
12-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Ruger Rick,

In part ammo is scarse cuz of the war in Afgan and such. Ammo companies are working to capicity to satisfy both sides. I remember I was able to buy a box of good non-corrosive ammo for about $300/box. That was good times cuz you can affoer to buy a quick $20's worth and stock itup for your shooting pleasure. Now were stuck with cheaper Russian steel for the same price and the very expensive American ammo.

To be fair to Angeles the edge of the range rides right up against the forest and that's considered to be Federal land. Any fires that starts and they Feds go directly to the range. In part that's why therange prices are higher too cuz of insurance issues. If they would push more dirt and make a bigger taller birm then perhaps steel could be used but they choose not to. This is where they fall.

Mail Clerk

Just for clarification, I'm sure you meant to say $3.00 a box. Otherwise... $300 for a box of 20 rounds is :eek::(

Also, I believe that Angeles range is much more firm against magnetic ammo of any sort due to the fact that they have steel targets for both rifles and pistols to shoot at, and they say they don't want any steel core or steel jacketed ammo to booger up their targets. I understand that sentiment, although I still incredibly dislike the strictness of their rules. Hence, I don't shoot there.

tujungatoes
12-16-2011, 1:36 PM
Yugo ammo...get some.

Someone mentioned earlier that ASR sells wolf but doesn't allow it...heres the deal not all wolf is magnetic hence, some is allowed and some is not. Also the range officers are very by the book. follow the rules, don't be an idiot, and they won't yell at you. It really aint that f**kin hard. :rolleyes:

RookieShooter
12-16-2011, 2:08 PM
Any good deal on Yugo ammo???
Thanks

Mail Clerk
12-16-2011, 7:49 PM
Just for clarification, I'm sure you meant to say $3.00 a box. Otherwise... $300 for a box of 20 rounds is :eek::(

Also, I believe that Angeles range is much more firm against magnetic ammo of any sort due to the fact that they have steel targets for both rifles and pistols to shoot at, and they say they don't want any steel core or steel jacketed ammo to booger up their targets. I understand that sentiment, although I still incredibly dislike the strictness of their rules. Hence, I don't shoot there.

Oh my god I goofed! It's $3.00 for a box of 20 rounds! My bad. ;)

Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk
12-16-2011, 7:58 PM
big 5 has mfs on sale for 7.99 can you use this stuff at angels?

64ssking,

Can't use MFS ammo dude! I took that brand to Angeles and they tried to confiscate it from my range bag. They told me to put it back in my truck or they'll take it from me and return it after I get some ammo that is non-steel. It was a good thing I had three boxes of Remington "Yellow Box" in the bag too. I felt they were trying to get me to buy ammo from there shack.

Again MFS ammo is bad at Angeles.

Mail Clerk

RonPogi
12-17-2011, 6:55 AM
Ruger Rick,

Mail Clerk

I used Yugo for almost 7k rounds on this pistol with no problems....@ Angeles shooting range

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6085/6160853949_253926341f_b.jpg

tujungatoes
12-17-2011, 7:14 AM
I felt they were trying to get me to buy ammo from there shack.

No. What they're trying to do is avoid going belly up because they got a bill for some un-godly amount of money when some idiot starts a fire. Do you have any idea what it costs to run one of those cool water dropping helicopters?

Mail Clerk
12-17-2011, 7:24 AM
tujungatos,

I would expect the invoice to be enormous for them not including the insurance rates. That's why in a previous posting I didn't want to rag on them too much cuz I know every street has two sides! Still though they can ask to inspect my range bag instead of walking to my table and rifleing though it.

Mail Clerk

tujungatoes
12-17-2011, 8:36 AM
Still though they can ask to inspect my range bag instead of walking to my table and rifleing though it.

Mail Clerk

Yeah...That's a whole different issue. That's some bullsh*t right there. You just don't go through a dude's stuff without asking. Some of the RO's there are a bit lacking on manners. I know I had to jump up one of their asses for scooping up my brass behind my back once. At the end of the day though I'll take the safety nazis over the wild west I've heard about at burro.

Ruger Rick
12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Bi-metal is Metallic/magnetic. Its mild steel with a copper wash, and lead core, and a steel casing.Hmmm. I always thought it was the other way around.

I think you are getting confused here. You are not looking for ammo with "bi metal" projectiles. The term "bi metal" is just a marketing name for steel jacketed ammo. "Bi metal" projectiles have steel jackets that have a thin wash of copper over them. They are attracted to a magnet and not allowed at most So-Cal outdoor ranges.Thanks for the clarification! Youll have to forgive me, as Im more or less a novice shooting enthusiast, and Im trying to learn more as I go.

A little confused here. Does Ruger recommend you not use corrosive ammo or you won't use it because it doesn't specifically recommend corrosive ammo.From the Ruger Manual, word for word.

"Use of corrosively primed imported
ammunition can damage or ruin this
rifle. Use only U.S. commercially
manufactured ammunition."

Mail Clerk
12-18-2011, 9:37 AM
Yeah...That's a whole different issue. That's some bullsh*t right there. You just don't go through a dude's stuff without asking. Some of the RO's there are a bit lacking on manners. I know I had to jump up one of their asses for scooping up my brass behind my back once. At the end of the day though I'll take the safety nazis over the wild west I've heard about at burro.

tujungatoes,

I admit though that when you compare the two Angeles still is the better of the two. Unless I haven't looked deeper into the Burro range they don't offer the semi-serious bench rest shooter a level/stable hard wood or cement table.

My real issue is the ammo. It's expensive in Cali and one just can't but 4-6 boxes of 7.62 0r 556 for as cheap as it was twenty five years ago.:confused:

tujungatoes
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
hell...even 5 years ago:(

ZX-10R
12-18-2011, 5:10 PM
BLM for you OC/ LA cats.

Mail Clerk
12-18-2011, 7:04 PM

I also noticed but didn't say anything about was the range masters looked pretty ratty! They smoke like a train and a few of them look like they haven't shaven in days. They wore just plain old t-shirts and instead of taking care of business they congregate together and talk BS. If I was the boss/owner a few of them should be fired! You can teach a cave man to do the job better and act allot more professional. They make big talk but don't act like it. My two cents only:mad:

Mail Clerk