PDA

View Full Version : Magpul: "The Art of The Precision Rifle" dvd is finally out!!!

peter95
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Finally!!!

Sorry if it's a repost but I don't recall anyone talking about it..... =) if it is, I'll delete

http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN008

UserM4
12-14-2011, 10:43 PM
pre-orders???

peter95
12-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, mid December within next 7 days =)

I believe DSGARMS already has them in stock... I'm calling them tomorrow to confirm. If true, my order will be placed...
I hope it came out on bluray....

MrPlink
12-15-2011, 2:55 AM
Ive said it before, I'll say it again:

Get ready to see R700 shooters using thumb over bore at your local range!

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 2:58 AM
It's not out... it's still only for pre-order on magpul.com.

Get ready for them to announce a sling stud adapter for the AFG at SHOT show next year :p

peter95
12-15-2011, 3:10 AM
It's not out... it's still only for pre-order on magpul.com.

Get ready for them to announce a sling stud adapter for the AFG at SHOT show next year :p

K well out for preorder for mid December =)

Dsg does advertise that they have it in stock though....

Scratch705
12-15-2011, 4:27 AM
i'm guessing there will be a run on .308 caliber bolt guns and match ammo within the first few months of 2012.....

maybe i should order up from FGMM .308 before the prices get jacked way up on it from demand.

PsychGuy274
12-15-2011, 5:54 AM
Awesome, I always wanted to learn how to shoot a 50cal sideways...

UserM4
12-15-2011, 7:39 AM
I wonder if I can whip the rifle to release the bolt handle.

HK Dave
12-15-2011, 7:46 AM
i'm guessing there will be a run on .308 caliber bolt guns and match ammo within the first few months of 2012.....

maybe i should order up from FGMM .308 before the prices get jacked way up on it from demand.

Lol agreed.

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 8:39 AM
I always wanted to know the best way to use a single point sling to transition to my sidearm whilst prone for that 600m shot.

-W

nrakid88
12-15-2011, 8:47 AM
Do people take these video's seriously?

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 9:19 AM
I guess it could be good training for some but really getting tired of the call of duty crowd at the range.

The call of duty crowd is going to be at the range anyway. At least, if they watch the videos, they won't have to keep asking for help to load their weapons. . . . oh wait, yeah the whole bullet button thing is a weird concept for them.

It's silly to assume that nothing can be gleaned from the videos, always keep an open mind, but always take it with a grain of salt.

-W

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 9:20 AM

There is probably a lot of legit and useful information blended in with the 5 DVDs worth of tacticool.

However, it'll probably be funny seeing who the first guy is at the bench looking like they're trying to spin their heads off of their neck between shots with a bolt action doing a "search and assess" because they saw it in a video and think they need to imitate an owl(or the exorcist).

Omega13device
12-15-2011, 9:30 AM

Why specifically shouldn't they be taken seriously?

jerryballs
12-15-2011, 9:34 AM
wow, there are some magpul dynamics haters here? or just training in general? I am confused :shrug:

i have taken a few classes from these guys and they are very good. It is kind of funny all of the fan boys buying up the endorsed products...but what ever floats your boat.

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 9:37 AM
wow there are some magpul dynamics haters here? or just training in general? I am confused :shrug:

Training is good, just understand the importance of WHY each action is being undertaken. Many trainers these days just parrot eachother without bother trying to figure out why things are done, if there are better ways, or if some things are just plain dumb (the owl assess comes to mind here).

-W

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 9:40 AM
wow there are some magpul dynamics haters here? or just training in general? I am confused :shrug:

Neither. It's people who don't like some of the silliness that surrounds the videos(which is mostly a problem with the audience, not really magpul themselves). Mimicing the thumb over bore urban ultra supine lean off of a bench with 3 seconds between shots at the local range while panning your head looking for nothing between mag changes is silly. It'd be on par with watching Top Gear and then pretending to be a racecar driver.

jerryballs
12-15-2011, 9:40 AM
Training is good, just understand the importance of WHY each action is being undertaken. Many trainers these days just parrot eachother without bother trying to figure out why things are done, if there are better ways, or if some things are just plain dumb (the owl assess comes to mind here).

-W

I understand...I think they are just trying to get the shooter to remember movements just like every school does. I don't think I have been to a school yet that hasn't taught a version of "after action" or search and asses...

Magpul and Travis and the like have just made training schools mainstream

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 9:42 AM
I understand...I think they are just trying to get the shooter to remember movements just like every school does. I don't think I have been to a school yet that hasn't taught a version of "after action" or search and asses...

Magpul and Travis and the like have just made training schools mainstream

No one is going to say that being sure of your surroundings is a bad thing, but like I mentioned there is a time and place for some things, and some people just do what they saw without actually understanding "why".

jerryballs
12-15-2011, 9:43 AM
Neither. It's people who don't like some of the silliness that surrounds the videos(which is mostly a problem with the audience, not really magpul themselves). Mimicing the thumb over bore urban ultra supine lean off of a bench with 3 seconds between shots at the local range while panning your head looking for nothing between mag changes is silly. It'd be on par with watching Top Gear and then pretending to be a racecar driver.

i guess everyone has to start somewhere...

I haven't been to a static range and seen that so I guess I am not exposed to the over acted shooting techniques

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 9:47 AM
i guess everyone has to start somewhere...

I haven't been to a static range and seen that so I guess I am not exposed to the over acted shooting techniques

It's a rarity, but it happens(and looks very silly).

MrPlink
12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess it could be good training for some but really getting tired of the call of duty crowd at the range.

you should be down on your knees thanking them for being a new generation that supports the sport and the cause. :p

17+1
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM

:rofl2:

peter95
12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Lol u guys are funny....

Either way, it looks entertaining and I will def be buying a copy... Why not?

zfields
12-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Lol u guys are funny....

Either way, it looks entertaining and I will def be buying a copy... Why not?

Because your a bout 1/4-1/3 of the way to the cost of an actual class.

rojocorsa
12-15-2011, 1:09 PM
I bought the pistol videos and I thought they were very helpful and helped me learn more about shooting in places other than static ranges.

Now, the day someone does an S&A at the normal range, I will bust a gut. I wanna see that. :rofl:

In my experience, 98% of everyone at a standard rifle range just shoots off the bench. I do it too sometimes, but I like to prone out if I can.

grant22
12-15-2011, 1:44 PM

Bingo.

SoCalSig1911
12-15-2011, 2:01 PM

You think real soldiers don't play call of duty? You're stereotyping, and i like it! LOL

BRANDON7766
12-15-2011, 2:58 PM
Sure wish they would ship alrdy!!

MrPlink
12-15-2011, 3:10 PM
You think real soldiers don't play call of duty? You're stereotyping, and i like it! LOL

yeah, actually most of my friends that are enlisted or recently out play

edward
12-15-2011, 3:48 PM
Everyone who lives in the barracks and most people who live ouside the barracks plays CoD or BF or some other FPS.

Dhena81
12-15-2011, 4:36 PM

:rofl2:

Cool story bro

Edit:: I thought I might add that this will almost certainly be the last video that you see CC and TH together on the same video since both are or have left Magpul.

peter95
12-15-2011, 10:13 PM
yeah... I wonder if Magpul will continue by hiring new guys..... Anyone know why they left?

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 10:23 PM
yeah... I wonder if Magpul will continue by hiring new guys..... Anyone know why they left?

Travis left to start his own business(doing training and videos). Dunno about Chris.

yf19ex
12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Costa has also formed his own consulting/training group. http://www.costaludus.com/
Travis just did a class at Metcalf a month ago under his group and Costa is due out to Morgan Hill in March and September.

Now this is one of those vids I have been waiting for. Unlike handgun, shotgun or carbine rifle manipulation, this is something I need to be taught. I have an AI 308 and can sit and shoot the same hole from the bench every time. But that does not mean I know how to really use it? How do you range find using a given reticle? How do you read the wind? How does bullet velocity, weight affect distance etc. I know about these items, but I don't know how to bring it all together to make that long/unknown/cold bore shot. I am hoping to watch it to get a better idea.

Like anything, if you can get a good methodology down and repeat the same results, it will make it that much easier.

Dhena81
12-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Costa has also formed his own consulting/training group. http://www.costaludus.com/
Travis just did a class at Metcalf a month ago under his group and Costa is due out to Morgan Hill in March and September.

Now this is one of those vids I have been waiting for. Unlike handgun, shotgun or carbine rifle manipulation, this is something I need to be taught. I have an AI 308 and can sit and shoot the same hole from the bench every time. But that does not mean I know how to really use it? How do you range find using a given reticle? How do you read the wind? How does bullet velocity, weight affect distance etc. I know about these items, but I don't know how to bring it all together to make that long/unknown/cold bore shot. I am hoping to watch it to get a better idea.

Like anything, if you can get a good methodology down and repeat the same results, it will make it that much easier.

You can start by growing a beard for a more consistent cheek weld I've already started and my groups have shrunk already by an 1/8 MOA and I only have stubble right now.

Merc1138
12-15-2011, 10:56 PM
You can start by growing a beard for a more consistent cheek weld I've already started and my groups have shrunk already by an 1/8 MOA and I only have stubble right now.

lol. So the 2 guys with the beards in ZZ top are shooting single holes at 1000 yards then?

hcbr
12-15-2011, 11:39 PM
hrmmm. definitely interested in getting this!

rogtac
12-16-2011, 1:25 AM
Everyone should have this available now...including me:)

Actually, I will have these in my hands on Tues., but I am also able to have it shipped directly from the distributor now.

The Art Of The Precision Rifle 5-Disc DVD Set (http://www.rogtac.com/magpul-dynamics-art-of-the-precision-rifle-5-disc-dvd-set.html)

AlliedArmory
12-16-2011, 4:13 AM
We have been shipping these out for the past few days now.

http://www.alliedarmory.com/magpul-dynamics-the-art-of-the-precision-rifle/

zombiescanlearn
12-16-2011, 12:58 PM

I think they're good resources if you're a beginner. They can be used to get things started, but they won't replace real training with a knowledgeable live instructor.

zombiescanlearn
12-16-2011, 1:01 PM
Everyone should have this available now...including me:)

Actually, I will have these in my hands on Tues., but I am also able to have it shipped directly from the distributor now.

The Art Of The Precision Rifle 5-Disc DVD Set (http://www.rogtac.com/magpul-dynamics-art-of-the-precision-rifle-5-disc-dvd-set.html)

If all you have is an AR and an AK, is it worth shelling out the $$$?

rojocorsa
12-16-2011, 1:52 PM
If all you have is an AR and an AK, is it worth shelling out the $$$?

Well, if someone is potentially interested to take up this kind of shooting in the future, why not?

peter95
12-16-2011, 3:17 PM
I think this I more of an informational video and we can all agree that actual training is worth more. Personally, I'm getting it because of the info and cool rifles that they will be training with...

AM9000
12-20-2011, 4:51 PM
I got my copy yesterday. So far I have watched disc 1 and 2. Very good production quality. Todd Hodnett can get a little long winded but he is an amazing teacher. So far very satisfied.
Get ready to rewind and take notes. A lot of detail on disc two... If you are starting out in precision rifle or even if you already have some ground covered this was a very informative look at the "New School" of precision rifle.

BAGunner
12-20-2011, 5:09 PM
I got my copy yesterday. So far I have watched disc 1 and 2. Very good production quality. Todd Hodnett can get a little long winded but he is an amazing teacher. So far very satisfied.
Get ready to rewind and take notes. A lot of detail on disc two... If you are starting out in precision rifle or even if you already have some ground covered this was a very informative look at the "New School" of precision rifle.

In the DVDs, do they use MIL or MOA for drop/wind drift?

Metal Monster
12-20-2011, 5:12 PM
Just checked tracking and my copy just delivered and waiting at my doorstep. (From Allied.)
I look at this dvd as useful entertainment. Thanks all for your reviews of the video, I'm looking forward to watching.

AM9000
12-20-2011, 5:24 PM
In the DVDs, do they use MIL or MOA for drop/wind drift?

Both. Most of the wind calls and instruction are in MIL for use with holds. I think the 3rd DVD is more MOA instruction because it covers the USMC method.

IDPA4U
12-21-2011, 6:46 PM
Amazing information in these dvds for any shooter. Todd has done so much testing and training for the military that even his little tidbits of information are really fascinating. After hearing his experience experimenting with cleaning methods, I will never clean my gun the same way again. His method is simple quick and proven effective. Also love his experience with shorter barrels.

Merc1138
12-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I watched the "unconventional positions" segment(about 30 minutes), and for at least that part they seem to have done a good job. CC and TH for the most part stay quiet, they aren't trying to hock silly accessories to bolt onto your guns. It's an instructor that sounds like he knows what he's talking about explaining points of contact, using tripods and shooting sticks, how to brace yourself to shoot like a gangsta(canted 90 degrees) for cover behind a rock, where to put rear bags or even your pack to help support your position, and so on.

Flipping through some other stuff I keep finding the main instructor... instructing.

Unlike the other magpul DVDs that left me rolling my eyes for the most part, this actually seems pretty cool.

Is actual real instruction better? Probably. Can you always fit real instruction into your schedule and break it up how you see fit? No.

Is there a lot of information that if you went and dug around you could find elsewhere in books, videos, and other media? Yup.

Regarding previous comments from myself and others, after having watched a bit of it.. I do not expect to see people(more than I have previously) asking how to mount an AFG to their remington 700, or asking how to stop the barrel from burning their thumb because they want to hold it like in the previous magpul videos. That is, as long as they actually watch this one.

BigNick
12-22-2011, 12:33 AM
After watching these videos I predict a run on scope levels.

Merc1138
12-22-2011, 12:44 AM

The ones you use to mount a scope, or the ones you mount to a scope?

WHITE MAMBA
12-22-2011, 8:27 AM

Interesting how many times Todd had to tell Travis to level his rifle. I ordered a couple levels for my hunting rifles awhile ago and think i should have ordered alot more now, haha!

sonnyt650
12-22-2011, 8:38 AM
Brownell's was supposed to have an inexpensive level that worked great, but I never found it in stock. Guess I should have tried harder...

*edit* Found it in stock but the reviews make it out to be easily broken, guess I'll pass. The DVDs sound like they're worth the money though -- would any of you purchasers pass on it?

*edit2* Couldn't wait for anybody to say it isn't worth it and ordered it this morning. Apparently I would have waited a long time anyway.

CavTrooper
12-22-2011, 8:41 AM
Funny. Benchrest shooters have been using scope levels for a very long time... golly geez... it works!

BRANDON7766
12-22-2011, 8:43 AM
Lol yep. And he is also showing a Horus vision scope that I had never heard of...reticle was sure nice.

dlouie87
12-22-2011, 9:11 AM
when do the blu rays come out? I want to become a "sniper" ;) lol

h0use
12-22-2011, 9:18 AM
Just watched it! Great video!

agent.5
12-22-2011, 1:57 PM
I am watching it right now. I like it much much better than those "bust 'em" videos.

fusionstar
12-22-2011, 2:55 PM
mines should arrive in a few days. cant wait.

Fate
12-22-2011, 4:05 PM
Do they detail the steel gong setup they use? I would love to buy/make something similar.

chead
12-22-2011, 4:17 PM
When I was a new shooter, their pistol videos broke me of some stupid habits. Just watching while dry-firing is worthwhile.