PDA

View Full Version : Building 9mm Upper - Troy TRX Handguard Advice?

Full Clip
12-14-2011, 7:04 PM
I'm cobbling together a 9mm carbine upper using a Colt flattop receiver and looking to add a freefloat handguard. I'm thinking about using a 13" Troy TRX for something like this:
http://tacticalgeargroup.com/images/products/secondary/vtac-trx-15-1.jpg
I'll top it with an Aimpoint CompML2 2x and Magpul flip-up BUISs.
The Troy install looks really easy but has anyone here done it? It's subjective, but can you suggest a better choice?

glenntuc
12-14-2011, 7:21 PM
trx you have to use supplied barrel nut, no gas block to deal with. or use alpha rail uses std barrel nut

glenntuc
12-14-2011, 7:23 PM
primary arms has good prices on troy and most in stock

Javi
12-14-2011, 7:45 PM
Good choice, I bought the same exact one on black friday ;)
I'm not worried about the build at all, looks easy! Buy it! It's a really nice looking & feeling rail. Really light and slim in the hand. The little rail segments feel solid(made out of metal. Thought they were going to be plastic)

Full Clip
12-14-2011, 7:50 PM
Good tip on Primary Arms. That's $10 cheaper than my other source...

Omega13device
12-14-2011, 8:08 PM
I recently put one on my 5.56 upper and it was easy to install. It requires either a low-profile gas block or a cut/shaved FSB. I have no idea about 9mm barrels so check to make sure it will fit your barrel profile.

Got mine here: http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Troy_STRX_ELI_S3BT_00_13_TRX_Extreme_Battle_Rail_p/tryelis3bt00.htm

They're even cheaper but they try to make it up on shipping so keep that in mind.

Javi
12-14-2011, 8:33 PM
Good tip on Primary Arms. That's $10 cheaper than my other source...

Don't forget to check Troy's site. 20% off the rail(Haven't checked the prices on the other two sites listed.)

glenntuc
12-14-2011, 8:37 PM
9mm does have gas bolck, fits no problem, i put one on my 7.5 pistol had to cut down plate that mounts rail on 5.56 gas block

Full Clip
12-14-2011, 9:38 PM
I recently put one on my 5.56 upper and it was easy to install. It requires either a low-profile gas block or a cut/shaved FSB. I have no idea about 9mm barrels so check to make sure it will fit your barrel profile.

Got mine here: http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Troy_STRX_ELI_S3BT_00_13_TRX_Extreme_Battle_Rail_p/tryelis3bt00.htm

They're even cheaper but they try to make it up on shipping so keep that in mind.

Yep, no gas block on the 9mm.
Wow, shipping and handling?! Ah, but still a couple bucks even cheaper...

Hoop
12-14-2011, 9:50 PM
TRX pluses:

very light
easy to install
not particularly expensive
removable rails

downsides:

adding the little rails is kind of a pain
kind of weak, flexes under stress a good deal
mounting system is flawed (newer versions have somewhat fixed this)
you may or may not like the physical feel of the handguard and the sizes of the holes in relation to your fingertips

Basically if you want a really light handguard that isn't too expensive and don't plan on mounting more than a flip up front sight and maybe a light for giggles it's great. If you want to add tons of stuff look elsewhere.

I have one on my 308 and am in the process of returning it for a newer one because of the mounting issue.

shark92651
12-14-2011, 9:55 PM
I wonder if the mounting system of the Alpha rail will eventually make it's way to the TRX and TRX VTAC rails. No chance of popped helicoils withe the Alpha design, and no need for a proprietary barrel nut or wrench either.

Omega13device
12-15-2011, 9:25 AM
Sample of 1 but...I installed mine on with my PRI barrel nut wrench so I'm not sure if the TRX wrench is even necessary. Or maybe I was just lucky that it worked.

Regardless, they include the TRX wrench with the rail so it's no biggie. I just forgot it was in the box. :)

Javi
12-15-2011, 9:40 AM
adding the little rails is kind of a pain
kind of weak, flexes under stress a good deal
mounting system is flawed (newer versions have somewhat fixed this)

Yeahh, kind of a bummer that the rail segments have to go on BEFORE you attach the handguard to the upper but seems easy enough to take it off frequently. I'll have to use the long segment since I think that's the one with area for a front sling attachment. What's the mounting system flaw? I have the newer one.

Full Clip
12-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, at most I would be adding a tac light to the handguard in addition to the BUISs. I'm not much into the junk that can be added to rail systems, and, in fact, all my other AR uppers have standard plastic guards with just a little piece of rail added for such purpose. I just thought the TRX looked cool for this particular build, with is more of a fun gun.