PDA

View Full Version : Registration Question

Fedge
03-06-2007, 8:37 AM
I've been reading all the great information and advice on this site for a little while now it's all been really helpful. I finally got up the funds and the nerve to put an CA-legal AR together and I'm pretty stoked.

I just ordered up a CMMG lower from coldwarshooters and a kit from del-ton. I plan on installing the bullet button so that I can have some evil features (pistol grip, flash hider, etc.) My question is this:

Once I put this thing together, do I have to register it as an assualt weapon? My understanding is that with a fixed mag, it's not technically considered an AW any longer and no registration is necessary. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great. And I'll be sure to get some pictures up when it's done!

Omega13device
03-06-2007, 9:23 AM
Welcome to Calguns, and hope you enjoy the rifle (safely)!

As to your questions, read the FAQ first: http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Shane916
03-06-2007, 9:26 AM
Question:

Once I put this thing together, do I have to register it as an assualt weapon?

Answer:

My understanding is that with a fixed mag, it's not technically considered an AW any longer and no registration is necessary.

Correct, and registration is a thing of the past that doesn't exist these days. (So far)

Fedge
03-06-2007, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the FAQ link. I've been reading that all week. Guess I just wanted some clarification.

Shane, thanks for the confirmation. Now all I gotta do is find a rifle range in San Diego.

bwiese
03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I just ordered up a CMMG lower from coldwarshooters and a kit from del-ton. I plan on installing the bullet button so that I can have some evil features (pistol grip, flash hider, etc.)

If you get a brake instead of a flash hider, this allows you to do a variety of configurations (evil features + fixed mag, or no evil features + detachable mag) more easily. Most folks don't really need a flash hider, and a brake can help for rapid follow-up shots in certain things like 3-gun competition, etc.

Once I put this thing together, do I have to register it as an assualt weapon?

No!

Firstly, what you are building is SPECIFICALLY *not* an assault weapon. Buildin an assault weapon is illegal.

Secondly, you cannot register an assault weapon now if you had one or created one. The last AW registration period closed in 2000 (actually, 1/22/01 for AR/AK rifles) and the DOJ has surrendered authority to list new assault weapons or open new registration periods.

You will always have to keep your rifle in a CA-legal configuration while inside CA.

My understanding is that with a fixed mag, it's not technically considered an AW any longer and no registration is necessary. Is this correct?

Correct. You have a semiautomatic centerfire rifle. No more, no less. Your features suite is compliant with 122761.1 PC and regulatory definitions in 11 CCR 5469 to specifically ensure your rifle is NOT an assault weapon.

Paratus et Vigilans
03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
You have a semiautomatic centerfire rifle. No more, no less. Your features suite is compliant with 122761.1 PC and regulatory definitions in 11 CCR 5469 to specifically ensure your rifle is NOT an assault weapon.

I like that language, Bill!

"Features suite."

That's a wonderfully simple yet fully descriptive phrase. No need for evil vs. not evil.

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a legally compliant features suite.

Well done! :)

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Your sweet features are compliant with 122761.1 PC and regulatory definitions in 11 CCR 5469 to specifically ensure your rifle is NOT an assault weapon.

There Bill.... fixed it for ya... ;)

bwiese
03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I like that language, Bill!

"Features suite."

That's a wonderfully simple yet fully descriptive phrase. No need for evil vs. not evil.

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a legally compliant features suite.

Well done! :)

Thank you. I've spent some time thinking of terminology appropos to the new rifles that came about in the last 13-14 months.

Before I came up with term "off-list" and "off-list lowers" and "OLL", I was initially calling these "non-Harrott rifles" but then thought "Harrott rifles" was better -then I thought, "Gee, this is really confusing as to the sense of this term." So I thought a bit more: the whole "will they list?" question was in the air due to Alison Merrilee's repeated assertions - and the terms "OLL", etc. emerged.

I am kind of flattered that letters from DOJ indeed used the terminology I coined - "off-list" (and "off-list lowers", etc.)

Fedge
03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
"Features Suite" - exactly! I will certainly be using this term in the future.