PDA

View Full Version : Lefty question

Curley Red
12-14-2011, 1:29 PM
I am building my first AR in a lefty configuration and have a question. I will be using a Stag Arms A3 flat top left handed upper receiver assembly and bolt carrier.

Is there anything special I need to be concerned about when getting the barrel or will any barrel work. I plan to get a 20" barrel with 1:7 twist.

Also who makes a descent barrel in the $200 - $300 range.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

peter95
12-14-2011, 1:31 PM
edit: Ambi Safety Selector would be nice....

hk91666
12-14-2011, 2:32 PM
If you change barrel you will need a Stag lefty Barrel Extension $25.00 part it interfaces with the left BCG. you may need to call stag for this part it is not spelled out on their web page. I had a mod 3 upper built for 7.62x25mm Tokarev.

Curley Red
12-14-2011, 2:54 PM
Thanks HK, I had a feeling it would be something like that.

atsaubrey
12-14-2011, 3:08 PM
Maybe I am just stupid or something. Why does anyone need a "lefty AR"? I am a lefty and have zero issues shooting anything I own other than my Steyr Aug clone that I did have to put a lefty bolt into. Seriously not being rude here..just curious.

Curley Red
12-14-2011, 4:11 PM
I prefer not to have shells fly in front of my face. I am not worried about being hit it is just a personal preference. And if for some reason a misfire happens and blows out the extractor I would rather not have it happen in front of my face.

Fjold
12-14-2011, 4:17 PM
Like it was said, the barrel extension is lefty specific. Krieger, White Oak Armament, Lilja and a dozen others make quality barrels

hk91666
12-14-2011, 5:34 PM
Thanks HK, I had a feeling it would be something like that.

It is necessary but works great with any barrel. Lefty's rock

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

MFortie
12-14-2011, 5:43 PM
Maybe I am just stupid or something. Why does anyone need a "lefty AR"? I am a lefty and have zero issues shooting anything I own other than my Steyr Aug clone that I did have to put a lefty bolt into. Seriously not being rude here..just curious.

'Cause we can...

I'm cross eye dominant but grew up shooting RH rifles off my left shoulder. In fact , I'm actually a little awkward with a LH bolt. But I keep adding LH rifles to my collection because I can and they exist. I have both RH and LH ARs -- guess which I choose to shoot most of the time?

atsaubrey
12-14-2011, 6:18 PM
'Cause we can...

I'm cross eye dominant but grew up shooting RH rifles off my left shoulder. In fact , I'm actually a little awkward with a LH bolt. But I keep adding LH rifles to my collection because I can and they exist. I have both RH and LH ARs -- guess which I choose to shoot most of the time?

Thanks for the info, I was seriously not being offensive and was seriously surious. Like mentioned, I have only one rifle that I had to "convert" to left hand because it was a bullpup and it would indeed eject casings into the face of a left handed shooter. :)

chesterthehero
12-14-2011, 6:23 PM
cuz she complained about it once and so ill do whatever i can to keep fer happy as a shooter... not every man has a wonderful loving woman who is always thrilled to find a new firearm in the safe...

Fjold
12-14-2011, 6:23 PM
Damn Lefties, they're all commies and hippies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Lefties.jpg

SideWinder11
12-14-2011, 8:33 PM
Nice pic Frank!

OP You could also get a left handed charging handle but they are pricey and not "needed"
I got the complete stag lefty upper w barrel and love mine.

utvtactical
12-15-2011, 6:20 AM
Check out Phase 5 Tactical's new Ambi Battle Latch. Great for lefties and very well made.

Curley Red
12-15-2011, 6:31 AM
Nice pic Frank!

OP You could also get a left handed charging handle but they are pricey and not "needed"
I got the complete stag lefty upper w barrel and love mine.

The charging handle that Stag sells works on both their right and left setups and is $17.50.

Curley Red
12-15-2011, 6:32 AM
Damn Lefties, they're all commies and hippies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Lefties.jpg

If you ever need help with those leftie's Frank just let me know.:D That is a sweet assortment.

BobbyZ
12-15-2011, 6:34 AM
Hey bud. I'm selling a Stag upper with bcg for a few bucks off. I bought one and was going to do the same as you but opted for a different route. I'm selling it for cheaper than the cost of getting it from Stag and it's brand spankin' new straight from Stag. Let me know if you wanna save like $60.

Curley Red
12-15-2011, 7:32 AM
Hey bud. I'm selling a Stag upper with bcg for a few bucks off. I bought one and was going to do the same as you but opted for a different route. I'm selling it for cheaper than the cost of getting it from Stag and it's brand spankin' new straight from Stag. Let me know if you wanna save like $60.

Check your PM

SideWinder11
12-15-2011, 9:05 AM
The charging handle that Stag sells works on both their right and left setups and is $17.50.

Last I looked they were made by another comany and went for close to $75.

$17.50's a good price.

Curley Red
12-15-2011, 9:26 AM
Last I looked they were made by another comany and went for close to $75.

$17.50's a good price.

check this link, when I first saw it I called to verify.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=281

weomi
12-18-2011, 6:53 PM
i can shoot whatever you put in my hands. but being a lefty, it is really really nice to have equipment that is geared for me (or those like me). try shooting a lefty if you are right handed some time. while the brass from an ar (even with a .22 conversion bolt in it) doesnt come anywhere near hitting your face, having it cross in front of you and bounce off your hat or head or shoulders can take a little bit to get used to. love my lefty upper from chesterthehero and my xmas .22 conversion bolt :)

glock7
12-19-2011, 5:56 AM
I prefer not to have shells fly in front of my face. I am not worried about being hit it is just a personal preference. And if for some reason a misfire happens and blows out the extractor I would rather not have it happen in front of my face.

after shooting many rounds as a lefty with the modern ar, i have not had shells fly in front of my face(thank you shell deflector) or hit my arm. one should not be shooting if you are going to worry about the gun blowing up. that's like saying i'm not going to drive because i might get hit by another car. enjoy the rifle. don't be scurred.:44:

gau17
12-19-2011, 9:38 AM
i can shoot whatever you put in my hands. but being a lefty, it is really really nice to have equipment that is geared for me (or those like me). try shooting a lefty if you are right handed some time. while the brass from an ar (even with a .22 conversion bolt in it) doesnt come anywhere near hitting your face, having it cross in front of you and bounce off your hat or head or shoulders can take a little bit to get used to. love my lefty upper from chesterthehero and my xmas .22 conversion bolt :)

Im and lefty and have shot M16 while in the Marine Corps. How the hell do you have brass bounce off your hat, head, or shoulder? A proper working rifle should eject the brass towards the right.

I prefer to shoot right handed ARs because you can observe malfunctions much better.

Stonewalker
12-19-2011, 12:26 PM
after shooting many rounds as a lefty with the modern ar, i have not had shells fly in front of my face(thank you shell deflector) or hit my arm. one should not be shooting if you are going to worry about the gun blowing up. that's like saying i'm not going to drive because i might get hit by another car. enjoy the rifle. don't be scurred.:44:

This is a very silly thing to say. Many sem-auto rifles and carbines are designed to expel energy out the opposite side of the shooter. This is a designed-safety feature. Shooting a RH semi-auto LH is short-circuiting that safety feature. I've never had a gun blow up but I've seen many videos and I can tell you that I would want the path of least resistance to be pointed away from my face. Also, when shooting particularly dirty ammo, it can be a real pain having to clean off the safety glasses every cease-fire or so.

Curley Red
12-19-2011, 1:48 PM
This is a very silly thing to say.

That is exactly why I didn't reply to his comment.

To each his own is what I say, if you don't like my reasoning for doing something keep it to yourself. Besides it is my gun and I will make it how I want. As for being scared, well that is just a a stupid comment.

glock7
12-19-2011, 5:20 PM
That's how I see it...

glock7
12-19-2011, 5:26 PM
Make the gun your way. But my comment isn't stupid. I don't know many shooters who worry about blowing out an extractor. IMO a lh ar is a gimmick. Have fun and this is a forum. You say what you want and I'll say what I want. Enjoy...

Fjold
12-19-2011, 6:02 PM
Most people don't worry about an extractor blowing out just like people don't worry about the gas blowback from a failed case in a bolt rifle. Because the gun is designed to protect the shooter in case of any of these failures. But, only if you're shooting it from the correct side.

Curley Red
12-19-2011, 6:15 PM
glock7 it meant that your statement about me being scared is stupid which I feel it was but feel how you want about it.

glock7
12-19-2011, 6:32 PM
It's just an opinion...it's all good. Enjoy your rifle.

russ69
12-19-2011, 7:22 PM
Maybe I am just stupid or something. Why does anyone need a "lefty AR"? ...

I've been shooting ARs for quite a few decades now. On a smooth side AR with a short stock, the brass will brush past your face, on later models, with F/A or a case deflector, it's not a problem, it goes by without hitting you or is deflected forward.
When shooting highpower, it's a little harder loading single shot when you are locked down in a sling. Single loading from the near side is kinda awkward because you have to move your elbow instead of just reaching down, picking up a round and pushing a fresh cartridge into the port.

chesterthehero
12-19-2011, 7:29 PM
Im and lefty and have shot M16 while in the Marine Corps. How the hell do you have brass bounce off your hat, head, or shoulder? A proper working rifle should eject the brass towards the right.

I prefer to shoot right handed ARs because you can observe malfunctions much better.

i wonder this as well since all of our rifles (right and left side ejection) throw brass in the 3-5oclock area... what are you doing to my guns woman!!!!

weomi
01-09-2012, 6:51 AM
.223 brass never hits me. but .22 brass bounces EVERYWHERE and gets into everything. that **** hurts. i dunno how many hot pieces of .22 brass have hit my right arm while shooting your ar.