View Full Version : Transporting Rifles

12-14-2011, 9:08 AM
I have a question in regards to transporting rifles across statelines. A friend of mine is meeting me in Arizona for some tactical training courses. He is driving from CA & is borrowing a hunting rifle & AR style rifle from a friend of his. I am just trying to get clarity on what the legality of transporting a borrowed rilfe across state lines is. I have been doing some research & it seems he would be alright under FOPA but then reading 18 U.S.C. 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts, it makes it a little more vague.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in accordance with this?
Your help is appreciated.

12-14-2011, 9:44 AM
unloaded and out of sight.

12-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Since he's an AZ resident borrowing in AZ, that part is OK.

No reason to worry about the transport to CA - case them and put them in the back/trunk.

HOWEVER, no 10+ mags and the AR type cannot be on the List, cannot be an AW by features - to come to CA, must be CA-legal.

12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Alright, that is what I figured as well. Thats what I told him to keep them unloaded & in a locked case in his trunk & he will be fine. Thanks for your guys feedback.

12-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Just let him know to not do anything stupid while driving haha. But im sure he already knows that. Just keep it locked and in the trunk, away from ammo, no loaded mags either. Just play it safe, everything will be ok.