PDA

View Full Version : Anyone other than Magpul make a wiggle free AR stock?

Bull's_eye
12-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I've shot a few ARs that had stocks which wiggle around, and that is something I do not want on my rifle.

I've noticed the Magpul like the one here:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-273-magpul-ctr-carbine-mil-spec-complete-assembly.aspx

Specifically says it has a locking mechanism for no movement. Pretty sure I am going to order this one, but I am open to others. Just trying to see what my options are.

Anything else I should be looking at?

bloodhawke83
12-13-2011, 11:01 PM
I have two, both been great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

cbaer5
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM
I thought I saw one of those new colts with a stock that had a similar lever on it

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
try a sopmod, they are solid. $$$ tho

captbilly
12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
I have one of the Magpul stocks you refer to, and it works great if you need a collapsable stock, but frankly I am not all that sure what practical purpose the collapsable stock serves. Because of the way the buffer system on the AR works there is no way to make a stock that actually retracts all that much so you only shorten the rifle by a few inches. I think that collapsable stocks on ARs has become somewhat like huge wheels on cars, looks cool but doesn't do much. The Magpul PRS is a great stock if you want to do some serious precision shooting, and the standard M-16 stock is excellent for all types of shooting as well as being nearly the least expensive stock you can buy.

cbaer5
12-13-2011, 11:15 PM
well maybe not but they do look similar i cant find any info on them either. colt still has their standard stile on their website http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=509748&highlight=colt

louscamaro91
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Sopmod is a Mil-Spec buffer tube only stock. As solid as they get!

Bull's_eye
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
That PRS does look interesting, but I'm not looking for a precision stock for this rifle.

And you're right, the m16 style would be fine, but honestly I do like the looks of the adjustable stocks.

Bull's_eye
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
well maybe not but they do look similar i cant find any info on them either. colt still has their standard stile on their website http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=509748&highlight=colt

Any word on how solid those colts are?

cbaer5
12-13-2011, 11:21 PM
its a colt. nuff said.

Bobby Ricigliano
12-14-2011, 2:51 AM
You cant go wrong with an A2 stock on any build.

codyallen
12-14-2011, 3:04 AM
I've tried a ton, magpul, vltor, and the LMT sopmod stock was the most rock solid/comfortable stock I've ever used. It's all I'll put on my rifles now

jonzer77
12-14-2011, 4:10 AM
Any word on how solid those colts are?

They are solid, they are Rogers super stocks. They don't look the best but they stay put, I got to fondle mine before it went in jail for 11 days :(

nitroxdiver
12-14-2011, 6:27 AM
LMT's offerings, especially when paired with their milspec buffer tube, have no wiggle. On my sopmods, they adjust super smooth, but are rock solid. I've heard them described as having a hydraulic feel when you move it on the tube. That's a pretty accurate description
in my experience.

xxINKxx
12-14-2011, 6:33 AM
My vltor Imod basic has zero play. Actually was pretty tight getting it on the buffer tube. It's almost the same as the Sopmod as far as design goes. Feels awesome. Was 99$ at riflegear. Probably the best stock I've tried.

I just bought the B5 Sopmod stock too. Also zero wiggle. And again 99$ at rifle gear. I think the vltor is the best though as far as Sopmod styled stocks goes.

I replaced both my magpul ctr/moe stocks since they basically have no cheek weld. Much happier with the Sopmod styled stocks and won't be buying the magpuls anymore. I'll be replacing the rest of my ctr and moe stocks with sopmod styled stocks as time goes by. That's how awesome they are

xxINKxx
12-14-2011, 6:43 AM
I have one of the Magpul stocks you refer to, and it works great if you need a collapsable stock, but frankly I am not all that sure what practical purpose the collapsable stock serves. Because of the way the buffer system on the AR works there is no way to make a stock that actually retracts all that much so you only shorten the rifle by a few inches. I think that collapsable stocks on ARs has become somewhat like huge wheels on cars, looks cool but doesn't do much. The Magpul PRS is a great stock if you want to do some serious precision shooting, and the standard M-16 stock is excellent for all types of shooting as well as being nearly the least expensive stock you can buy.

?????

A clapsable stock is mainly to adjust the length of pull. Not every shooter likes the same length stock. If your a smaller person, like a girl ect your going to need to adjust it in so you can actually hold the rifle correct. If your a big guy you will need it extended out to the max so your not all cramped.

Pretty simple stuff. Just designed for the masses so they can decide what's comfy

bloodhawke83
12-14-2011, 7:09 AM
?????

A clapsable stock is mainly to adjust the length of pull. Not every shooter likes the same length stock. If your a smaller person, like a girl ect your going to need to adjust it in so you can actually hold the rifle correct. If your a big guy you will need it extended out to the max so your not all cramped.

Pretty simple stuff. Just designed for the masses so they can decide what's comfy

this and i get get collapse it to 31" and it fits in my rifle side pocket. :D no more carrying 2 bags for me. :jump:

EvolutionGSR
12-14-2011, 7:15 AM
?????

This, plus i change the length by one notch when shooting standing, sitting or prone.