PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 build, missing parts in the lower

Mrbroom
12-13-2011, 4:43 PM
HELP!! Did my first AR build tonight.. I layed every part out and had a grip of you tube vid's to help me thru the process.. It took me 2.5 hours to do it, just becasuse I wanted everything perfect.. Anyways, I am on the last step.. Rear takedown pin.. I am missing the spring!!! I got the detent and pin.. but no more springs!! Anyone local to Redondo Beach that can help me.. My lower is a DPMS I got from Turners,, Being a rookie, I dont know all the parts I should have..

dieselpower
12-13-2011, 4:45 PM
Its on the floor...

Mrbroom
12-13-2011, 5:02 PM
already looked... Not there.. If someone has the spring.. I will give ya a box of 20.. 30-06 Hordnay for it!!!

Colt-45
12-13-2011, 5:06 PM
No need. You can buy one at pkfirearms.com probably cost less than a dollar.

Agent Tikki
12-13-2011, 5:27 PM
Call Turners in Torrance. Then try Ammo Bros in Cerritos, pretty sure they have it. If not Riflegear in Fountain Valley I'm sure they have it.

I'm pretty sure they have an armorer at both LAX firing range and Sharpshootes but I doubt they'd sell it to you. You can try em tho.

0331Marine
12-13-2011, 5:53 PM
This is way you buy/keep an "oh shoot" kit with you at all times.

Josh3239
12-13-2011, 6:05 PM
Call the manufacturer of the parts kit, they will send you the spring.

Metal Fiend
12-13-2011, 7:52 PM
Is it stuck inside the pistol grip? I'm only throwing that out there because I found a detent pin inside the pistol grip when I thought I was shorted the part.

TruEdge
12-13-2011, 8:00 PM
Its on the floor...

stangman86gt
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
+1 for floor

hcbr
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
yeah check the floor, if not, check the packaging if it's stuck on some crevice or corner

bensig522
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I have extra springs. I am in the OC area, but between Redondo and where I am there are several shops that carry it :)

Chaos47
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
+1 on inside the pistol grip

Federal
12-14-2011, 5:05 AM
Dang!!
Don't mean to thread jack, but I just finished building my lower, when I then decided to change my adjustable stock for a shorty stock, and wham!!!! There went the buffer detent spring flying out.. Dam!!!
It's gone... forever..

ejhc11
12-14-2011, 9:14 AM
Yeah, anytime I get a lpk, I immediately check refer to a parts list to make sure everything is there - too many small parts to pack correctly by the manufacturer.

starsnuffer
12-14-2011, 9:20 AM
This is why you need a cat. Cats will always find that spring.

Building your rifle inside a small white box also helps.

-W

mike_the_wino
12-14-2011, 9:42 AM
Yeah, anytime I get a lpk, I immediately check refer to a parts list to make sure everything is there - too many small parts to pack correctly by the manufacturer.
^This. Plus you should have a 'spare parts' kit in your range gear, as others have noted. I use a tackle box to keep all the random bits I need for shooting: screwdrivers, spare cleaning supplies (rags, patches, brushes), AR front sight tool, etc.

Josh3239
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Don't need it, it is there for convenience. It just captures the buffer system and makes it easier to takedown.

Dang!!
Don't mean to thread jack, but I just finished building my lower, when I then decided to change my adjustable stock for a shorty stock, and wham!!!! There went the buffer detent spring flying out.. Dam!!!
It's gone... forever..

shooterfpga
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Don't need it, it is there for convenience. It just captures the buffer system and makes it easier to takedown.

i didnt have one for a long time. then i changed stocks so i put one back in.

bloodhawke83
12-14-2011, 1:02 PM
i hate those takedown springs, always great idea to buy a bag full just in case you don't want to look for the lost ones. :D

gun toting monkeyboy
12-14-2011, 1:48 PM
As the others have noted, you don't need it for the short term. You can go shooting without it. And as the others have noted, you will most likely end up putting together a small bag with extras of many of the small parts that ARs use as you go. Welcome to the world of ARs. I am sure somebody will post a more complete list of critical extra parts, but here is a quick run-down of some of the basics:

Detents. Several, as they are the most likely thing to get lost during any build. I shot one up my nose on my first build. I have launched several others into a low earth orbit, judging from the way they disappeared. You stop losing them as much after your first few builds, but they are good to have.

Detent springs. Simply because they seem to want to follow the detents into hiding.

Disconnector. This one is important to have. Not because they break all that often, but because when they do, you have the potential for the rifle to go full-auto when you pull the trigger. Amusing, but not woth the trip to Club Fed.

Hammer/Trigger Pins. These also don't break often, but when they do, it is hard to fire the gun without them.

Selector spring and detent. These don't normally break. And you don't normally lose them during the build. These like to disappear when you are swapping out pistol grips. Not that people in regular states do this that often, but here in California, you may decide that you want a featureless rifle, and got to swap it out every so often.

Extractor. This one actually does break once in a while. Having an extra extractor or two is usually a good thing. You may also want to get an extra extractor pin and the spring to go with it. If the extractor breaks, if may lose those parts too. Unlikely, but possible. Since they are cheap, you may as well get them.

There are other parts, like the firing pin and other bits on the BCG that are good to have extras for, but somebody else will probably chime in and give you that list. As you order parts from Midway or Brownell's, try to add a buck or two's worth of these little do-dads to your order every time. Within a couple of months, you will probably have everything on the list. Put them all in the same place, and hang on to them. Sooner or later you will be happy you did. :)

-Mb

AR22
12-14-2011, 3:12 PM
I lost one once and I used a flint spring out of a Bic disposable lighter,cannot remember if it was the mini Bic or the large one and I think I had to clip it a little shorter but it worked great..Looked like the same spring as the AR original one.....

bjl333
12-14-2011, 9:37 PM
Look in the holes from some of the other parts, like the grip! The LPK usually comes greased up and the thin spring can get stuck inside other parts. Dig around other parts before ordering! Good Luck...

glockwise2000
12-14-2011, 10:16 PM
One good lesson is to assemble the LPKs and other parts inside a big white box.

Heretodaygonetomorrow
12-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Riflegear in Fountain Valley.

It's right outside the Fry's Fountain Valley parking lot, right off the 405 Frwy.