PDA

View Full Version : ak gas tube question

ghost
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
i have a romy g kit and was looking at compliance parts.as for gas tubes which size will work for the romanian build,i have seen two kinds: 6 1/4 full length and 5 1/8? help me out guys,thanks.

aklover_91
03-05-2007, 11:07 PM
gas piston or gas tube? I wasn't aware anyone made a US gas tube...

ghost
03-06-2007, 3:33 PM
i meant gas piston,my bad.

Harbinger
03-06-2007, 3:42 PM
You'll need a full length gas piston for the Romy G kit.

DPH Arms has them.

ETA: Make sure to get a new piston pin to replace the one you're going to drill out of the current carrier/piston assembly.

Mike

PLINK
03-06-2007, 4:06 PM
I recommend that you don't change the piston. The pistons on the Romy G kits are brand new. If they were bad, then yes, replace it.

I would use a US receiver (1) (no choice here), muzzle brake (1), FCG (3), mag follower (1). If you use the MMG you can skip the mag follower or muzzle brake. If you use Iron Wood stocks then that is 3 US parts there.

Remember it is no more than 10 foreign parts on a built rifle. The 922r has a list of the countable parts.

This was copied from ARF.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

DV8
03-06-2007, 5:22 PM
My preference would be a US made stock and handguards (in addition to the receiver and FCG) instead of a follower. That way your rifle is always in compliance regardless of magazines used. Plus the only followers out there right now are Tapco, not the greatest. They're certainly not on par with the original followers. Falcon used to make great followers but they dont anymore.

xrMike
03-06-2007, 5:37 PM
Remember it is no more than 10 foreign parts on a built rifle. The 922r has a list of the countable parts.Has anyone ever heard of somebody being charged with having more than the maximum number of foreign parts in a rifle built from a foreign parts kit?

What is the actual crime you would be charged with?

Looks like I need to get a U.S.-made slant brake and a follower (or something else).

My wood is bulgarian, and the only U.S. parts I have so far are the receiver and FCG...

Hmmm, if I used that AK bullet button thingy, that's a U.S. part, right? :D

ghost
03-06-2007, 7:42 PM
thanks for the help guys!