PDA

View Full Version : Going Price for a CZ-75B in CA

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-05-2007, 9:07 PM
I'll most likely be buying a CZ-75B soon, and I was wondering what sort of price I can expect. I read the prices on other prices, but guns seem to cost more in CA.

Also, are you supposed to haggle over gun prices, or something? I've always assumed that it's the same as purchasing any other retail good, but I keep on reading how people talked down the price on this or that firearm.

threadcrapper
03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
They're like $485 to $429 on sale.It all depends on which store. I saw a new, but on consignment one for $375. XD45 are about $549 +/- and more for the Tactical model.

cgmoe
03-06-2007, 5:55 AM
what about buying online?
Buds seems to have pretty good prices

Bongos
03-06-2007, 6:49 AM
what about buying online?
Buds seems to have pretty good prices
Sometimes interenet is not the best as you have to pay shipping and FFL fees which could add up to $100s...

I suggestion is keep an eye out in the classifieds section (they do pop up once in a while) and do a local PPT ($35)..it's tax time now so a lot of people owe taxes.. that safe queen gun they no longer shoot is looking mighty tempting to sale...

All in all, most people buy the guns becuase their friends are into shooting or home protection or collecting, shoot it for a little while maybe about 500 rounds...then the fad and interests goes away...then they have a family, or in financial trouble like credit cards or taxes or simply needs funds... you get the picture.. so most of the time the guns are in mint condition..

Specially in CA since CCWs are extremely hard to get, most guns never get holstered..

So if you are not in a rush...keep an eye out

Good luck

maxicon
03-06-2007, 8:01 AM
New ones tend to go in the $400 to $500+ range, and not that many shops carry them in the San Jose area. Dunno where you are, but I believe Reed's has them up here, and they're one of the more expensive shops. I think Turner's has them regularly if you're down south.

I don't see them used very often. Targetmasters in Milpitas had a used on on the shelf for $350 the other day, and that's about as cheap as you see them in stores.

PPTs still show up for $300-350, but the days of cheap CZ75s seem to be over.

You could ask over at www.czforum.com to see if someone in your area has one they want to get rid of - I bought one in the SJ area from a czf member, and 2 others from here on Calguns, then gave my most beat up one to a friend.

Buying online is a good way to pick up deals sometimes, but only if you have a reasonably priced transfer dealer.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-06-2007, 5:35 PM
Thanks. I had feared that it'd fall on the wrong side of $500. I might get lucky, but doubt it.

I will admit that I'm surprised Reed's has them. It's not in their list of firearms to rent, so I didn't think they would stock them. I'll probably try another place, and hopefully they'll have some.

mike100
03-06-2007, 5:57 PM
I got to shoot a 99 vintage CZ-75b last night (thanks to Grammaton for bringing it out along with his other rifles) and I would grab up an earlier cz in a heartbeat because the triggers are nicer on the older ones. I think the new ones got lawyered up a tad. Of course a new cz-75b would be the surest bet that you get the max life out of your pistol, but most people don't shoot all that much.

BTW, Iron Sights in o'side has some rental 9's that have upwards of 100k rounds shot through them because 9 is cheap to rent. the action on the range cz felt a tad worn, but everything else worked well.

taloft
03-06-2007, 7:30 PM
I just purchased a new CZ-75B in .40 at DGM in San Diego. This was last Sunday. The cost was $479.99 plus tax, dros, and a $9.00 lock to keep the Feds happy. Total out the door was $552.88. The nine's were $469.99. This was a complete impulse buy, I didn't even haggle on the price.:eek: I went in to buy a revolver, didn't see what I was looking for, and the rest is history.:D What can I say, it was a weird weekend.

Yes, you can get it cheaper online but, by the time you pay for shipping, transfer, and use tax. It is usually equal to or more than the local shop. Hooking up with another local and doing a PPT is the best way to go.

If anyone is interested, they had a used one in the display case for IIRC $375.00.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-07-2007, 12:16 AM
the triggers are nicer on the older ones. I think the new ones got lawyered up a tad.

Is that prior to the introduction of the firing pin block? I ask, because on the czforum, some members have removed the firing pin block resulting in a superior trigger pull. I was considering doing so as well, considering the original CZ-75 didn't have one, nor do 1911s (or so I'm told).

Taloft, is it considered normal and appropriate to haggle over the price? I should be trying to buy a CZ-75B soon, and I've never haggled over any of the previous firearms I've purchased (Yugo M24/47, Yugo SKS 59/66, Mosin-Nagant 91/30). However, the CZ's going to cost more than those three combined, I'm guessing, so if I'm expected to haggle, please let me know!

maxicon
03-07-2007, 8:05 AM
I like trigger blocks, as they're a basic safety mechanism, so I wouldn't remove one. You can perform a do-it-yourself trigger slicking as described here - http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm25.showMessage?topicID=188.to pic - or you can send it to Angus at CZUSA for a trigger job.

As for haggling, it depends on the shop. My main shops don't haggle unless something's been sitting around for a while, so I go by the sticker price, but some shops like to overprice stuff, and will haggle down.

You can always ask if there's any flexibility or wiggle room on the price. They'll make it pretty clear if there is or not, but you should be ready to move on it if they reach your price, or they won't be so ready to haggle with you next time.

mike100
03-07-2007, 8:08 AM
the cz75b has been around a long time and the ones from just a few years ago had different "timing" on the hammer, firing pin block and sear. basically people are changing the hammers and retaining the block. I have heard that the P01 hammer is a direct drop in part and also there are a couple of people who make aftermarket hammers that need to be fit to make them safe. The P01 did have a better break, but not like a 1911 or anything.

one guy does action jobs on them incl hammer replacement (Jim Miossi) , but he had a year wait.

CZ also makes a single action only model and I heard you can toss the DA/SA guts in a box and just convert it to work SA with a cocked and locked function like a 1911. this is what one cz rep told me at a shooting fair was the cleanest action of all. I think I'd get another one to try that out on as I want the DA/SA on my main cz.

on edit: I haven't been able to haggle for a long time and even before it was just for a box of ammo or maybe to absorb the sales tax off the price...there aren't as many ffl's so they don't really do that too much now.

kilword
03-07-2007, 9:47 AM
ive seen nice ones on consignment for around 350ish.
just got to look around if you want to save some money.

WokMaster1
03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
ive seen nice ones on consignment for around 350ish.
just got to look around if you want to save some money.

Where did you see that?

kilword
03-07-2007, 3:35 PM
i saw one for that at the antioch armory a couple months back but its not there any more.
saw another one for like 425ish and i think it might of been new. but i dont remember where....might of been at the same place

taloft
03-07-2007, 5:13 PM
Taloft, is it considered normal and appropriate to haggle over the price? I should be trying to buy a CZ-75B soon, and I've never haggled over any of the previous firearms I've purchased (Yugo M24/47, Yugo SKS 59/66, Mosin-Nagant 91/30). However, the CZ's going to cost more than those three combined, I'm guessing, so if I'm expected to haggle, please let me know!

It would depend on where you are shopping and what kind of relationship you have with the store. Counter monkeys usually have to get permission from owner/manager to cut a deal. Most store owners will haggle over a consignment or used gun. They will take a slight hit on their end to move the product out, especially on stuff that isn't selling fast. They always have a little wiggle room on new stuff, the closer they are to MSRP the more you can bargain. None that I've met will haggle on a sale item. Most will price match local stores. Sometimes you can get them to toss in a free box of ammo if you buy a new gun. Some stores never bargain(more in recent years). It doesn't hurt to try, the most they will say is no.

As far as 1911's and firing pin blocks, series 80 colts have one that is trigger activated. Kimbers are activated by the grip safety. Springfield's don't have any as far as I know. I bet the CZ is similar in design to the series 80 colts. A good trigger job should eliminate any problems.

paradox
03-07-2007, 5:38 PM
CDNN's latest catalogue has used CZ-75s on pg23 for $250.

Though I have heard rumors that they are leery of selling to CA...

vega
03-07-2007, 6:10 PM

It's not rumors you heard it's true, CDNN doesn't sell handgun and AW long arms to CA. You can buy standard looking rifles and shotguns.

grammaton76
03-07-2007, 6:13 PM
Some stores never bargain(more in recent years).

I think this is partially due to the more aggressive Internet-fuelled bargaining stances that buyers have taken over the last few years.

And how, when Jimbob posts on the internet how he got a CZ-75 at $X over here, suddenly the store has three or four other guys all showing up wanting the same deal - or people who bought without haggling getting all upset after the fact, since Jimbob didn't keep his mouth shut.

I do feel that the internet is putting an end to face to face retail haggling. On the other hand, I'm not sure that's always a bad thing, as it results in even treatment for everyone, not just a couple horse traders out there.

Rem1492
03-07-2007, 6:19 PM
Hi Paul, I followed you here from the other site.

Have you tried shooting many CZ variations? I would try testing them all first. As that is a big chunk of money that could better be spent on a Sig or Glock.

Remy

mblat
03-07-2007, 6:22 PM

I need to take a look at this.... Anyhow that means that one can ask his friend in Nevada to buy it for him, throw away standard mags, and sell it to him. It is still much better than anything you can have in CA.
I bough mine NIB for $450 out of the door, but that was more than a year ago.

taloft
03-07-2007, 7:21 PM
I think this is partially due to the more aggressive Internet-fuelled bargaining stances that buyers have taken over the last few years.

And how, when Jimbob posts on the internet how he got a CZ-75 at $X over here, suddenly the store has three or four other guys all showing up wanting the same deal - or people who bought without haggling getting all upset after the fact, since Jimbob didn't keep his mouth shut.

I do feel that the internet is putting an end to face to face retail haggling. On the other hand, I'm not sure that's always a bad thing, as it results in even treatment for everyone, not just a couple horse traders out there.

I think you're on to something with the internet angle. I would get annoyed if people came in all day and tried to bargain me down to a price they saw on the net. It isn't fair to local dealers to have to compete against shops in more gun friendly, out of state, markets. Also, they won't haggle when the store is so packed that it can be overheard by the other customers.

The horse trader comment cracked me up.:D Every time I go to purchase a firearm my family asks me where I'm going. I usually reply, "To see a man about a horse.":cool:

I'm sending you a PM.

mike100
03-07-2007, 8:16 PM
I'm sorry I didn't buy two when Turners had the two tone edition 75b's for $398- about a year ago.

gratuitous pic..notice rubber grips and different trigger on two-tone edition:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/mschrameck/gun%20stuff/cz75b_small.jpg

the above comment on glocks and sigs rings true since CZ's don't seem to be $100 less than glocks anymore. The appeal was a great blaster for 3 and a half or 4 bills.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-07-2007, 9:20 PM

Have you tried shooting many CZ variations? I would try testing them all first. As that is a big chunk of money that could better be spent on a Sig or Glock.

Remy

Hi, Remy! I've shot 0 CZs. I'd like to test them (as well as a few other handguns that're runners up), but the only range that I know of nearby that rents doesn't rent CZ-75Bs. Also, time is a big issue for me, and as I see it, I've only got a narrow window to test/buy. I was intending to go to the range that rents (also a gun shop), but after learning that they don't rent the CZ, I'll be heading elsewhere first as they're pretty pricey as of the last time I visited them. The only centerfire handgun I've ever fired is the G19.

It is a big investment for me, but Sigs and Glocks don't really appeal to me (the XD does, but I'm planning to hold out for the XD45), and the CZ's supposed to have great reliability as well as good accuracy, so I feel that it'll be a worthwhile expenditure.

Interesting about the haggling, guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Competition does benefit the consumer, so I think it's a good thing (although, I admit in CA, sometimes local politics can serve to drive the costs of operating a gun shop up). Nice how the internet enables people do determine the market value of things more efficiently.:)

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-07-2007, 9:27 PM
I like trigger blocks, as they're a basic safety mechanism, so I wouldn't remove one. You can perform a do-it-yourself trigger slicking as described here - http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm25.showMessage?topicID=188.to pic - or you can send it to Angus at CZUSA for a trigger job.

As for haggling, it depends on the shop. My main shops don't haggle unless something's been sitting around for a while, so I go by the sticker price, but some shops like to overprice stuff, and will haggle down.

You can always ask if there's any flexibility or wiggle room on the price. They'll make it pretty clear if there is or not, but you should be ready to move on it if they reach your price, or they won't be so ready to haggle with you next time.

:eek: I don't trust myself to do a proper job modifying a handgun (yet). I'm pretty sure I'd even manage to botch the mag brake flattening. Course, all the little modifications available are one of the things I like about the CZ.

gotgunz
03-07-2007, 9:29 PM
check your pm's

paradox
03-08-2007, 5:39 AM

Remy

I prefer my CZ to my sig, and glocks annoy the hell out of me.

CZs still have a good bang for the buck even with the upped price.

Then again, perhaps I'm just a sucker for steel :D

WokMaster1
03-08-2007, 7:25 AM
Off the subject.

I got an idea. There is going to be a Shoot-n-Q coming up at Chabot. A lot of Calgunners going have CZs (& clones), Sigs, Glocks, SA XDs, S&W M&P, etc.

I don't think it would hurt to ask if you could try shooting their handguns. Offers to bring some ammo won't hurt either. Just ask nicely.....:)

I think we should invite manufacturer/factory reps to come to these events so they can do a pitch, demo & try their guns out. Anyone got contacts?

grammaton76
03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I prefer my CZ to my sig, and glocks annoy the hell out of me.

I have a hard time deciding whether I like my CZ-75B 40cal or my Sig 229 better. The CT grips on the Sig do give it a big advantage for HD, though. I wish the CT 229 grips felt more like the original, stock Sig grips though.

On the other hand, nothing I own stacks up to my CZ-97B...

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-08-2007, 7:48 PM
check your pm's

Got it, thanks!

WokMaster, good idea, but unfortunately, it's too far away (especially for someone who doesn't have a driver's license :o )

Glad to see that there're plenty who still love their CZs. I'll admit that I first planned to buy one way back when they were still steals, and that that may have influenced me, but regardless, it's nice to know that I should be getting a handgun with a good reputation (assuming I don't muff the HSC test and demonstration).

mike100
03-08-2007, 8:17 PM
It's kind of hard to fail the HSC safety demo. they don't want to loose a sale..they probably would just make you do it again. Apparently some people actually fail the test. If you even cracked open and read part of the PDF/brochure and have reading comprehension above the 20th percentile, you're golden. It is a waste of money and an effective tax hike on that first pistol purchase, but you have to do it.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, I'm kind of worried, because in the study guide they say to place the safety on "on" after loading the dummy round. However, I don't know if that means "fire" or "safe." I know from the CZ-75's manual that I push the safety up to cover the red dot to place it on safe, but I'm not sure if this is what they want me to do.

The only centerfire handgun I've fired is a G19, so there's not much to do with safeties there.

paradox
03-09-2007, 7:03 AM
Well, I'm kind of worried, because in the study guide they say to place the safety on "on" after loading the dummy round. However, I don't know if that means "fire" or "safe." I know from the CZ-75's manual that I push the safety up to cover the red dot to place it on safe, but I'm not sure if this is what they want me to do.

The only centerfire handgun I've fired is a G19, so there's not much to do with safeties there.

"Safety on" means that you push the CZ safety up to cover the red dot. This disables the trigger. Be aware that CZ safeties only switch on when the hammer is retracted, they will not switch on when the hammer is down.

maxicon
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
In the same vein, the CZ doesn't have a decocker. If you want to decock on a live round (I keep my house CZ with one in the chamber and the hammer down), you have to drop the hammer carefully. This isn't difficult, but it's riskier than having a decocker (which somes Sigs have), and people have accidents dropping the hammer manually now and again.

mike100
03-09-2007, 12:31 PM
don't worry about the demo. they will tell you what to do each step so you don't need to remember anything except to keep the muzzle pointed down and safe and to keep your finger off the trigger. Just pass the written part.

they may ask you to lower the hammer by hand or you might elect to hand the pistol back to them action open and butt first as a courtesy.

paradox
03-09-2007, 1:11 PM
In the same vein, the CZ doesn't have a decocker.

Most CZs don't have decockers. Some do.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-09-2007, 8:22 PM
"Safety on" means that you push the CZ safety up to cover the red dot. This disables the trigger. Be aware that CZ safeties only switch on when the hammer is retracted, they will not switch on when the hammer is down.

Thanks, that clears things up. I noticed they said that the hammer had to be retracted in the manual. Makes sense, I guess. DA should be enough that you wouldn't need a manual safety, and with SA, you'd want one.

I was earlier considering a BD, but I like the ability to carry it cocked and locked. Also, given my small hands and the CZ's reputed large frame, it might be necessary to have that first shot on SA anyways.

When returning the pistol to them (following the demonstration), the study guide says the safety should be on if applicable. However, would the hammer still be cocked after removing the magazine and pulling the slide to the rear? Or will the pistol have been decocked by this action? When presenting them the handgun (slide locked back), can I consider everything all inert?

I've never handled a weapon with a visible hammer, and it's been literally years since I've fired a handgun, so I'm really not sure how it works.

Franksremote
03-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks. I had feared that it'd fall on the wrong side of $500. I might get lucky, but doubt it.

I will admit that I'm surprised Reed's has them. It's not in their list of firearms to rent, so I didn't think they would stock them. I'll probably try another place, and hopefully they'll have some.

I saw a couple at Irvington Arms in Fremont a couple of days ago. I think they were a bit over $400. Pretty good price for CA and the folks there are great to deal with.

Franksremote
03-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi, Remy! I've shot 0 CZs. I'd like to test them (as well as a few other handguns that're runners up), but the only range that I know of nearby that rents doesn't rent CZ-75Bs. Also, time is a big issue for me, and as I see it, I've only got a narrow window to test/buy. I was intending to go to the range that rents (also a gun shop), but after learning that they don't rent the CZ, I'll be heading elsewhere first as they're pretty pricey as of the last time I visited them. The only centerfire handgun I've ever fired is the G19.

BIG difference between a stock one and one that's been worked over.

+1 to Angus at Ghostholster.com He does wonders with CZs whether you buy from him or just send it for tuning. If you're moderately mechanically inclined, you can do the work yourself and still make a marked improvement over stock.

Also, given my small hands and the CZ's reputed large frame, it might be necessary to have that first shot on SA anyways.

The cocbolo grips make it amazingly slim. I got mine as a production shooter for the gf as she likes those with smaller grips. The steel makes it great on recoil and f/u shots.

Sent PM

paradox
03-10-2007, 6:33 AM
When returning the pistol to them (following the demonstration), the study guide says the safety should be on if applicable. However, would the hammer still be cocked after removing the magazine and pulling the slide to the rear?

How do you think the hammer gets recocked under recoil? ;)

Yes, when the slide is locked back the hammer is also retracted and the safety can be placed on-safe.

zippo
03-10-2007, 7:23 AM
Most CZs don't have decockers. Some do.

some CZ have decockes like CZ 75 BD is work same like Sig but less cost in price.
I get my use about $400 , the frist owner never shoot it . now most of handgun cost more and more becasue US dollar get weak , right now $1=1.3118 Euro

psriley
03-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I bought the 75B SA version from Turner's last month for $460. DGM has them, and they're good people too. Very reliable and fairly accurate, though I may put a match barrel in at some point. It has a different trigger than you typically see on the 75s. It's flatter and set back a little farther.

I like the heft and balance of an all-steel gun. Just points more naturally for me. I also have an XD, which is a nice gun for the money, but it feels top-heavy. I actually shoot the XD more accurately, but don't enjoy it as much, so it sees less range time than the CZ. XD is my home defense gun at the moment, though.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-10-2007, 1:09 PM
I bought the 75B SA version from Turner's last month for $460. DGM has them, and they're good people too. Very reliable and fairly accurate, though I may put a match barrel in at some point. It has a different trigger than you typically see on the 75s. It's flatter and set back a little farther.

I like the heft and balance of an all-steel gun. Just points more naturally for me. I also have an XD, which is a nice gun for the money, but it feels top-heavy. I actually shoot the XD more accurately, but don't enjoy it as much, so it sees less range time than the CZ. XD is my home defense gun at the moment, though.

Yeah, I was at the dealer today, and they had a sale on Springfields. I handled an XD and was surprised at how top-heavy they were. Admittedly, a loaded one would feel more balanced, but I was nevertheless surprised. Also, despite it looking so small, the grip was too blocky for my dinky hands to get a proper grip on it:( . Oh well.

That said, the CZ felt fairly good, although it's quite a reach for me when in DA mode.