PDA

View Full Version : Giving away an AR

Scopeandoptics1
12-13-2011, 3:08 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of the legality of giving away a gun as a promotional marketing tool.

I was planning on giving a loaded AR-15 to the 1000TH customer on our website. I would of course ship it to a gun shop and have it legally transferred over.

If anyone has any info or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

admin, www.scopeandoptics.com

StratORcaster
12-13-2011, 3:10 PM
You may want to unload it. Just sayn.... :D

Scopeandoptics1
12-13-2011, 3:14 PM
ha ha thanks!! I meant loaded with accessories

peter95
12-13-2011, 3:23 PM
You may want to unload it. Just sayn.... :D

lol...

anyways op, I believe all you have to do is transfer rights to the new owner. Have him pay the taxes and Dros fee, winner wouldn't mind.... and of course, rifle must be in legal configuration....

Good luck with that.... btw, let me know when you reach your 900th customer... I may start ordering a bunch of $1 items until I become the 1000th order... hehe... jk of course.

Scopeandoptics1
12-13-2011, 3:26 PM
Ya,

Thats what I was thinking!! Thank you and ill let you know when we are at 999 ha ha

stormy_clothing
12-13-2011, 3:32 PM
The only problem you could have is if the winner was not legally allowed to take ownership of a firearm but that's there bad. Also your going to want to have them pay taxes on it.

hcbr
:thumbsup:

zushikikato
I want to participate in buying a lot! how many buyers have you had so far?

1968RallySport
12-13-2011, 5:27 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. Our Snap-On tool guy raffles one every year.

Bigtwin
12-13-2011, 6:56 PM
Do some legal research on raffles in CA.....really! It does get tricky at times. I am trying to do the same thing but with labor(I am not a gun shop), there have been some things I found amazing about raffle products in CA! So I decided labor was the way to go other than products.

As a business I assume you have a good CPA! Use that guy as a start!

cxr
12-13-2011, 7:14 PM
i thought only non profit organizations could do raffles in calif.

duggan
12-13-2011, 7:14 PM
I'll go ahead and take the rifle (paying taxes and DROS of course) and let you know if I run into any legal issues, if everything is cool by the time you hit that 1000th customer you should be G2G on giving one away as a prize lol.

unusedusername
12-13-2011, 8:29 PM
Do some legal research on raffles in CA.....really!

Giving away a free gift with purchase is not a raffle.

A raffle is when you pay money and get nothing but a ticket (and a chance to win).

Just because you are only giving away a limited number of "free gifts with purchase" does not somehow make it a raffle.

To the OP: just make sure you have on your terms someplace that they are only eligible if they are legally allowed to own guns. You wouldn't want your "winner" to sue you if they can't take delivery.

It's legal to discriminate against felons since they are not a protected class, so all is good there.

Unusuedusername is not a lawyer. I am often wrong. Double check all of this with your own lawyer.

peter95
12-13-2011, 8:50 PM
wow i wish i could win this.... Ill be happy with just an upper =)