PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about UTG AR handguards?

Krayzcolt
12-13-2011, 2:43 PM
I did a seach for AR handguards. UTG popped up on Amazon. A full length quadrail is going for $63. I haven't seen a full lenght quad for under $150. I live by the rule "you get what you pay for", but at the same time; if it is a decent rail, I could use the extra $100 for a better scope, bipod,etc....

Write Winger
12-13-2011, 2:57 PM
I got one, and even though a lot of ppl talk crap about them, I've never had an issue. If you're making a budget gun that goes bang for a buck less, you're good to go.

Write Winger
12-13-2011, 2:58 PM
Slightly on the heavier side I guess.

starsnuffer
12-13-2011, 3:06 PM
They make airsoft parts, if you're comfortable with a pot metal handguard designed for toys and made by 8 year olds in China, then go for it.

-W

Krayzcolt
12-13-2011, 3:08 PM
This AR build is for my wife. Only thing going on the rail is a bipod

Write Winger
12-13-2011, 3:12 PM
It'll be fine with a bipod. And they're made in USA.

Krayzcolt
12-13-2011, 3:18 PM
It'll be fine with a bipod. And they're made in USA.

I'm going to buy it then. I would rather buy her a better scope. It will probably sit in the gun safe most of the time anyways.

Noonanda
12-13-2011, 3:19 PM
I have one on one of my AR-s and while it probably weighs double what a KAC or equivelent top of the line rail does, For what I use it for it is fine. It isnt like I am Storming/Clearing a building in Iraq with my AR. With a PEQ-15 and all the other stuff that I had on my M-4 it woud make sense. but this is a civilan rifle and I am not in combat.

Noonanda
12-13-2011, 3:21 PM
one thing, if you want to use KAC rail covers (the ones that come with it are Garbage IMO) you will have to notch one of the rail slots to allow them to lock in place

Deadon
12-13-2011, 3:39 PM
Never mind the haters. They are now made in the USA in Detroit. They are made from Aluminum like every other rail. Some of their stuff is made for airsoft but they make AR parts also. You just have to know what your buying. I know a shop that says they are going to blast off the UTG and resale them. The part is a riser, I own four of them and they are rock solid! Yes I shoot all my guns and run tons of round through them.

21SF
12-13-2011, 3:43 PM
Even a pinto can get you from A to B....

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 3:44 PM
as others have said, they are on the heavy side, otherwise fine.

Krayzcolt
12-13-2011, 3:47 PM
Any info on the UTG bipod?

Deadon
12-13-2011, 3:50 PM

Its a bit shaky, I'd go Harris.

osis32
12-13-2011, 4:14 PM
You van get a yhm quad rail for about 130 don't know how the weight compares to utg. I am paranoid about utg but I won't bad mouth them. Just not for me.

Munny$hot
12-13-2011, 4:27 PM
You can get a slightly blemished Knights Armament w/rail for 150.00.
http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=92

shadow65
12-13-2011, 4:49 PM
Look at which UTG hand guard you get. The pro series are light weight, narrow, have anti rotational stops, fit over a low pro gas block. I was impressed by the latest offering.
I have a rifle length mounted on a 16" pencil barrelled 5.56 upper. Very light weight.
UTG has come a long way in the last 4 years. They moved the manufacturing operation to the U.S.

Look for the ones with a part number starting with MNT. These are the new U.S. made. The other ones will be replaced with these.
http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=&level2=&itemno=MTU005&status=

For the bi pod, I used a UTG but would opt for a Harris if you are using it much. Just better made.

Dave N

tomd1584
12-13-2011, 4:49 PM
Let us know when accessories don't fit. I've personally seen several sets where the rails were out of spec and flashlight mounts & rail covers didn't fit.

Deadon
12-13-2011, 5:12 PM
Let us know when accessories don't fit. I've personally seen several sets where the rails were out of spec and flashlight mounts & rail covers didn't fit.

Hmm with the five I have Ive never had that problem.

tonelar
12-13-2011, 5:15 PM
Can't a bipod be mounted without a quad rail?

Arnelcheeze
12-13-2011, 5:38 PM
I got my MI gen2 free float for $139, add a few bucks and youre good togo with a free float.
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/popup.cfm?type=i&id=products/mctar20g2pu.gif

Cokebottle
12-13-2011, 5:52 PM
I did a seach for AR handguards. UTG popped up on Amazon. A full length quadrail is going for $63. I haven't seen a full lenght quad for under $150. I live by the rule "you get what you pay for", but at the same time; if it is a decent rail, I could use the extra $100 for a better scope, bipod,etc....
UTG makes awesome stuff....

...if you're building an Airsoft.

aermotor
12-13-2011, 6:02 PM
Nothing wrong with the UTG Rails. Cheap and effective. Some serious cry babies on here about them lol.

afro
12-13-2011, 6:38 PM
You're better off with Magpul handguards. Cheaper than the UTG rail, lighter, more durable, plus you can still add a rail to the bottom for a bipod.

Cokebottle
12-13-2011, 8:19 PM
Nothing wrong with the UTG Rails. Cheap and effective. Some serious cry babies on here about them lol.
A lot of people like Chrysler products too.

That still doesn't mean that they aren't crap.

Noah3683
12-13-2011, 8:32 PM
They are heavy, but they are actually pretty solid. Fine for a budget plinking gun, just maybe not for one you're gonna beat the crap out of. If you fit the former category, ignore everyone else.

wash
12-13-2011, 8:43 PM
Some things I just won't buy on principal.

UTG anything I shy away from.

Airsoft is as Airsoft does and Airsoft folks were ready to sell us down the river on the colored gun bill if they could get an exemption for themselves.

If the black Friday deal I want ever comes through, I'm getting a 15" VTAC extreme free float rail cheap. That will have real customer service and a real firearm company behind it. Being made by Troy, it should fit well and it is going to be very light weight for a 15" rail. To me that's worth the price.

Danhood
12-13-2011, 8:55 PM

Which one? As they make a bunch of them. I have a UTG TL-BP88 on one of my .22's and it is solid and a great bipod for under $30 It comes with a swivel stud mount as well as the rail mount.

croc4
12-13-2011, 9:00 PM
I have two, as noted the rail covers they come with are crap, too heavy and make the guard too wide. Install low profile rail covers and your good to go.

I don't see an issue with them, they are stronger than the standard ice-burg guards so where is the downside?, they are actually still heavier than more expensive rails from what I have read, but for the price I think they are a good deal

Croc4

Arisaka
12-13-2011, 9:19 PM
Aluminum, not pot metal.

Danhood
12-13-2011, 9:19 PM

Last year I put one of these on one of my carbines and it is an excellent rail strong and light. I think it is also a UTG over 500 rounds down range and no problem.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbine-Length-Quad-Rail-High-Quality-CNC-Billet-/260897875189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbeb9a4f5

The same guy also offers this one and if it is the same one I would say go for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Rail-System-Full-Length-12-INCHES-LONG-Fits-Colt-Dpms-Rock-and-More-/250940831283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6d3d3633

0331Marine
12-13-2011, 9:24 PM
You can get a used YHM for $30-$40 more. I got my wife a light weight rifle free float rail with end cap for $115 shipped.

akjunkie
12-13-2011, 9:50 PM
FWIW,

I recently picked up a Mil Spec M4 6position stock (UTG Pro) USA made.
Compared to my other Commercial/Mil Spec tubes the UTG Pro was pretty damn solid.

Dont know who they contracted out to make their American line of products, but the quality looks pretty good.

I read the online reviews over @ Midway, Cheaperthandirt, Amazon, etc. The UTG PRO line had favorable reviews.

Obviously time will tell, but for $45 I decided to try it out.

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 10:46 PM
You're better off with Magpul handguards. Cheaper than the UTG rail, lighter, more durable, plus you can still add a rail to the bottom for a bipod.

+ a billion

zfields
12-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Running one on my 10/22....bout all I would use it for. Kinda cheap feeling, but does the job.

Hoop
12-13-2011, 10:57 PM
YHM customizable rifle length is what I have on my new cheapy build it works fine. 110 @ JSESurplus.

themailman
12-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I had some sweet UTG rails for my Classic Army M15A4. They worked great and it never stopped me from shooting plastic BB's at my buddies in a mock battle. Being 16 was great!

Dont put that **** on a real firearm.

hcbr
12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
UTG is decent,

hellraiser
12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
People rag on utg because they also make airsoft... Last I checked Magpul had a line of airsoft products too. And everyone drinks that kool aid.

They are a lil heavy. Some are made in the us. They seem solid. There are better but more expensive routes.

FWIW,

I read the online reviews over @ Midway, Cheaperthandirt, Amazon, etc. The UTG PRO line had favorable reviews.

^ this!

Read reviews by people who actually have used them.

akjunkie
12-14-2011, 7:08 AM
Does a 1oz difference make the UTG PRO that much heavier?? There's a $70 difference between the 2 over 1oz.

UTG PRO / US made / $60 >> 11.3 OZ

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR238-7.html

YHM / $130 >> .65 lbs / 10.4 OZ

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR9670-1.html

LovingTheYear1911
12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't know why people ask questions on these forums. If it's not an expensive brand the kool aid drinkers jump in and start bashing. Some people need to get off their high horse. Just cause you spent 150 bucks for a part that is 45 bucks and does the same exact thing, it just means you got suckered for your money. You're the dummy not the guy who saves his money for other things. Plus not all people are rich as those riding on their white horse.

Go ahead and get the UTG. It will do you fine and save you money.

docsmileyface
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't put a bipod on any rails that weren't free-floating.

HPGunner
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't put a bipod on any rails that weren't free-floating.

Why is that? I toss on a grip pod occasionally and shoot prone or from the bench and my railed hand guard isn't free floated. Shoots straight and without issue. I'm I doing harm to the rifle?

0331Marine
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't know why people ask questions on these forums. If it's not an expensive brand the kool aid drinkers jump in and start bashing. Some people need to get off their high horse. Just cause you spent 150 bucks for a part that is 45 bucks and does the same exact thing, it just means you got suckered for your money. You're the dummy not the guy who saves his money for other things. Plus not all people are rich as those riding on their white horse.

Go ahead and get the UTG. It will do you fine and save you money.

So, your telling us that all parts are made equal no matter where they come from? You might want to do some research so you dont end up being the dummy.....

themailman
12-14-2011, 6:59 PM
Too many people on this forum give advice on what they dont understand: free float vs non, weight, diameter, circumference, shape, materials, country of origin, etc. Those recommending the UTG and saying its "just as good", dont know diddly squat.

Donk310
12-14-2011, 9:17 PM
I had one of those UTG (quad)rails on my rifle once. It did its job. Worked great. The weight wasn't really an issue to me as I work out. The only reason I changed it out is because I liked the way another rail "looked". I'm big on "looks". Other than that, nothing wrong with it.

rero360
12-14-2011, 10:09 PM
People rag on utg because they also make airsoft... Last I checked Magpul had a line of airsoft products too. And everyone drinks that kool aid.

They are a lil heavy. Some are made in the us. They seem solid. There are better but more expensive routes.

^ this!

Read reviews by people who actually have used them.

Difference is Magpul started out making products for real guns and later developed an airsoft line. Whereas UTG is the complete opposite, only without any serious improvement in quality of raw materials, holding of tolerances, QC/QA or any of that.

themailman
12-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Difference is Magpul started out making products for real guns and later developed an airsoft line. Whereas UTG is the complete opposite, only without any serious improvement in quality of raw materials, holding of tolerances, QC/QA or any of that.

Spot on Craig.

Deadon
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Too many people on this forum give advice on what they dont understand: free float vs non, weight, diameter, circumference, shape, materials, country of origin, etc. Those recommending the UTG and saying its "just as good", dont know diddly squat.

Really? Pretty sure we are comparing apples to apples here. Who said free float vs non? Country or Origin?
I know I know your going to war next week in the US and need something better then our Military uses right? I mean Military uses parts that are sooo simple yet we have to have better for some reason. There was a guy I know talking to me about slings the other day and telling me how the other brand uses plastic clips and theirs doesnt. Come to find out our Military uses slings with the same plastic clips, go figure! Tell ya what, any of you local Sacramento boys who think they can out shoot me with a UTG stock, hand guard bring it. Lets do a review and post them here. Just a idea.

themailman
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Really? Pretty sure we are comparing apples to apples here. Who said free float vs non? Country or Origin?
I know I know your going to war next week in the US and need something better then our Military uses right? I mean Military uses parts that are sooo simple yet we have to have better for some reason. There was a guy I know talking to me about slings the other day and telling me how the other brand uses plastic clips and theirs doesnt. Come to find out our Military uses slings with the same plastic clips, go figure! Tell ya what, any of you local Sacramento boys who think they can out shoot me with a UTG stock, hand guard bring it. Lets do a review and post them here. Just a idea.

What?

Again, you speak with a foot in your mouth. I dont care what our military uses, my issued 3 point sling is a piece of crap. The KAC rails that our military issues are better on every level from the UTG abortions, so what are you even talking about?

Deadon
12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I was talking about a head to head. Bring your high priced goods and Ill bring some cheap stuff. Oh didnt read that part?

themailman
12-14-2011, 11:40 PM
I was talking about a head to head. Bring your high priced goods and Ill bring some cheap stuff. Oh didnt read that part?

I'm deployed lol, if you are such a "deadon" shot, please join us over here. Sorry, I cant go UA to shoot with you back in the states. Have a merry christmas man. :D

Deadon
12-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm deployed lol, if you are such a "deadon" shot, please join us over here. Sorry, I cant go UA to shoot with you back in the states. Have a merry christmas man. :D

Stay safe bro! Im not that deadon I just talk a good game.:p TRY and have a good Christmas. Thanks for your service!!:oji:

Bobby Ricigliano
12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
I'll take the word of others that they are decent rails. I just personally will not slap Chicom parts onto an American made rifle.

Noonanda
12-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Question, anyone here with "some other named" railed handguards on their own personal rifle deploying or currenty deployed using said rifle? Aka my rifle needs tier 1 gear cause my life IS depending on it, no if and or buts about it.
How many others just have this type or that type on because they heard goood reviews/ heard good things/ just drank the coolaid? To each their own but my AR doesn't need to be 100% milspec because I am not doing raids taking down taliban insurgents. If you want to drop cash for that cool on you, but don't bash someone that just wants a cheap rail for some recreational plinking. I know a guy that will not put anything on his AR that isn't milspec because "if he ever deploys again he don't want to develop bad habits". He is no longer in the military, but does contractor work for us. And this contractor work will not ever include him deploying again as a PMC. But it is his money so rock out.

aermotor
12-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Well said Nooanda.

RobGR
12-15-2011, 2:16 PM
Just picked this YHM rifle length rail up at a great price - http://westernsportonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=322

Free shipping for orders over $250... so I picked up a 16" barrel too :D But not b/c of the shipping, just cause that was at a great price too and I'm in the middle of a build.

I have a UTG on my Draco AK47 pistol. Works fine, heats up a lot, but all rails do.... it was between a $70 UTG rail or a Krebs $250 rail, same material, saved a lot.

skeptik
12-15-2011, 3:36 PM
i know that mine will be here tomorrow :patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot: