PDA

View Full Version : 600 yards at Coalinga in December

KillerRabbit
12-13-2011, 9:27 AM
This weekend the 17th and 18th we are shooting 600 yards at Coalinga. We shoot a prone 3X600 match on Saturday and Across the Course on Sunday. Squadding starts at 7am both days, it looks like I have some new shooters coming on Saturday so don't hesitate to head to Coalinga. If you have a good 100 yard zero we will get you on target at 600. Since the following weekend is Christmas let's face it you probably are not going to be able to go shooting then so you better go to Coalinga and shoot while you can.
www.coalingarifleclub.org
Dirk

CSACANNONEER
12-13-2011, 9:32 AM
Some of us can step outside our houses and shoot Christmas morning if we want to. Then again, CRC has an awesome range! I want pictures and a little more detail about exactly what and how you shoot. What is required? What is recommended? etc. I really have to get some sort of small caliber (30 cal) precision rifle other than my K31s.

KillerRabbit
12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
While I too can step outside and shoot on Christmas day, it's not the same as going to Coalinga. The Saturday match is all prone slow fire,
you get 2 sighter shots and 20 for record in a time limit of 22 minutes. We do this 3 times at 600 yards (that's why we call it a 3X600). Traditionally this is done with some sort of match rifle (iron sights and supported by a sling) however we are getting more and more Fclass and tactical shooters participating. In fact it looks like the sling shooters will be in the minority on Saturday. A few years ago we did have a guy shoot a K31 and he did OK. You don't need a fancy set up to try this out. We have people show up with 16" AR rifles shooting bargain 55 grain ammo. It looks like we will have a couple of youngsters this weekend shooting their varmint rifles. Now if you show up with an SKS I don't feel that is really going to work at 600. You need your rifle and plenty of ammo while it takes 66 rounds to shoot the match, it never hurts to bring 100 rounds. A shooting mat is good to have and you really need some kind of spotting scope (even if you are shooting a scoped rifle you will need it while you score another relay).
Posting here is about the limit of my computer ability, maybe someday I will be adding pictures.....
As far as what I would recommend to shoot this it's hard to go wrong with a 308 bolt rifle (whether you are shooting sling or Fclass) yes I know there are calibers with a much better BC. On the other hand the 308 has good bbl. life and is easy to load for. With the right loads most 308 rifles will reach 1000 yards if you decide to shoot some long range.
Dirk

nimoZ
12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I plan to join again. Had a great time in November and it's a very nice range.
The drive down is good, just a little more hectic with traffic on 5 coming back mid day.

- just need to remember my wallet, or find a new wife :)

KillerRabbit
12-14-2011, 11:44 AM
We will see you Saturday morning. Just bring your wallet, it's much easier than trading in the wife....
Dirk

hcbr
12-14-2011, 2:59 PM
ooooooh

mattt
12-20-2011, 5:46 PM
Match results?