PDA

View Full Version : What are the weird looking rifles that French soldiers carry?

blockfort
12-13-2011, 9:12 AM
I'm in France on vacation and in the train stations and airports, the French soldiers walk around with some strange looking rifles. The magazines are behind the grip, sticking out from the bottom of the stock. There's also a 10" long "handle" that goes from the base of the barrel to the base of the stock. What gun is that?

osis32
12-13-2011, 9:13 AM
Sounds lime a famas to me.

21SF
12-13-2011, 9:13 AM
Sounds like an AUG....

chicoredneck
12-13-2011, 9:16 AM
FAMAS

Vacaville
12-13-2011, 9:17 AM
My guess would be a Steyr AUG too. Would help if you posted a photo. Does it look like this?

http://www.steyrarms.com/typo3temp/pics/03442dac38.jpg

AUG

or this?

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/1289304142.jpg

FAMAS

osis32
12-13-2011, 9:19 AM
The famas is made by the french and fits that description. I highly doubt it's an aug.

Black Majik
12-13-2011, 9:21 AM
Ah, gotta get some Counterstrike in your life. :D

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/4/45/Hl2_2010-04-04_21-45-53-90.jpg/600px-Hl2_2010-04-04_21-45-53-90.jpg

soopafly
12-13-2011, 9:24 AM
Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne

affectionately called, le Clairon ("the Bugle")

fishnbeer
12-13-2011, 9:25 AM
why dontcha just go up and ask them. they would just surrender and hand all the guns over to you, thats the easy way with the french. flippin fig eaters

Us3rName
12-13-2011, 9:27 AM
I love figs :44:

CSACANNONEER
12-13-2011, 9:27 AM
Can't wait until they turn up on the surplus market. It's always good to find old military guns that were never fired and only dropped once.

cxr
12-13-2011, 9:28 AM
Can't wait until they turn up on the surplus market. It's always good to find old military guns that were never fired and only dropped once.

LOL

zfields
12-13-2011, 9:37 AM

+1

On a serious note, I really dig the looks of it also.

tonelar
12-13-2011, 9:43 AM
The Famas has been in use for quite some time, now. Wouldnt it be neat if we could get the AWB thrown out in time to buy up French Mil Surp?

supersonic
12-13-2011, 9:52 AM
I hear the French are good chefs. And their restaurants/bistros & coffeshops are second to none. That's about all I care about with regards to France.:rolleyes::p

brando
12-13-2011, 10:01 AM
FAMAS is....poop. It's right up there with the Chauchat.

docsmileyface
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
http://youtu.be/RamMieNvJ6E

french army might have crappy guns, but according to their commercial they bang a lot of hot chicks.

Scott Connors
12-13-2011, 10:31 AM
FAMAS is....poop. It's right up there with the Chauchat.

Contrary to popular belief, the French can be excellent soldiers--the problem is that their politicians, and especially the generals, are the.absolute.worst in the world. Considering our current lot, that's saying something!

Regarding the FAMAS: the reports that I've read indicate it is an accurate and reliable weapon, marred only by the ergonomic idiosyncrasies common to the bullpup class of firearm. It is light years ahead of the Chauchat (a firearm that I once had an ATF agent tell me does not meet the legal definition of a machine gun, because it won't fire two or more consecutive rounds with a single trigger pull. Yes, I know he was joking).

tacticalcity
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamMieNvJ6E&feature=youtu.be

That ad had me ready to sign-up. Oh wait, been there done that already (in our military).

The "girl in every port" approach to marketing the military is a huge selling point that our ads should definately include. At 17-19 that is all we can think about. Of course with this generation the might need to have some hot chick picking up another hot chick. Seriously though, for most of us ithe stereotype ends up being true. I had no shortage of women in my life back when I was a young airman bouncing from one overseas TDY to another, as did all my buddies. There was the occasionaly dorm rat who did terrible with the ladies but most guys had plenty or romantic drama going on off duty. The uniform is like catnip. Best time of my life.

uzigalil
12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
1. Ive never read so many dumb comments in such a string
2. The Famas is on its way out for many reasons
French Army to replace the Famas Rifle During a recent meeting with the Commission of Defense, the French CEMAT (Chef d'Etat Major de l'Armée de Terre / Chief of Staff of the Army), General Ract Madoux, confirmed that the French Army would issue a RFP (Request For Proposals) in 2013 for a replacement service rifle for the French Army.

FAMAS G2
The French FAMAS rifle has been a disaster. Its delayed blowback action is powerful enough to rip apart regular NATO brass-cased 5.56x45mm cases and its rifling does not stabilize the modern 5.56mm NATO bullets. The French Army is forced to use steel cased 5.56mm ammunition, thus eliminating the advantages of using the same cartridge as their NATO and EU allies. It that was not bad enough, the ammunition is no longer made in France and has ben to imported. A French journalist told me that China manufactures steel-cased 5.56mm for French military (I will say that another French journalist I spoke to disputes that ammunition is imported from China).

The manufacturer of the FAMAS, the state-owned Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne (MAS), has been developing firearms since 1777 and is well known for developing the first smokeless power military rifle, the Lebel Model 1886. Sadly this organization no longer has the technical capability to develop a new rifle, which is why France is looking beyond her borders for a new rifle.

militia_bob
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Is it me or in some of those shots, the guy is carrying a SIG 550/551?

http://youtu.be/RamMieNvJ6E

french army might have crappy guns, but according to their commercial they bang a lot of hot chicks.

hcbr
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Guessing Famas, although I read at the firearm blog that they're considering dumping the famas for another platform. As for the Aug you'll see those in Austria or Germany

luchador768
12-13-2011, 11:08 AM
I'll pay top dollar for u to bring me some white truffles!!

MilitaryArms
12-13-2011, 11:48 AM
The Famas has been in use for quite some time, now. Wouldnt it be neat if we could get the AWB thrown out in time to buy up French Mil Surp?

There are a few F1 FAMAS rifles in the US as semi-autos. They came in during the late 1980's before the ban. If you can find one, they command EXTREMELY high prices these days, over $10k easily. I saw one in Gun Broker in 2010 that was going for $10k anyway. Century Arms imported them I believe and they weren't very popular, less than 200 hit our shores.

Ubermcoupe
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Ah, gotta get some Counterstrike in your life. :D

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/4/45/Hl2_2010-04-04_21-45-53-90.jpg/600px-Hl2_2010-04-04_21-45-53-90.jpg

:( WOW & 1.6 killed CS ... I miss it.

duggan
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee392/Duggan_Mahcrotch/imagesCAVJM2GB.jpg
Did it look something like this?

akjunkie
12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm in France on vacation and in the train stations and airports, the French soldiers walk around with some strange looking rifles. The magazines are behind the grip, sticking out from the bottom of the stock. There's also a 10" long "handle" that goes from the base of the barrel to the base of the stock. What gun is that?

That's a dead giveaway. FAMAS.

Standard
12-13-2011, 4:19 PM

Or maybe more like this?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5050760211_3a24bd8de5.jpg
Have some respect for those that are fighting and dying alongside our own.

Zippiot
12-13-2011, 4:46 PM
Here is a cool .gif of the way the FAMAS blowback works
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/actions-blowback-action-lever-delayed.html

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4603/leverdelayedblowbackani.gif

luckystrike
12-13-2011, 5:44 PM
Famas has an incredible rate of fire

Josh3239
12-13-2011, 6:08 PM
Century imported a small amount of semi FAMAS's but no one bought them so IIRC there are only a few hundred in the country. I think I saw one on Gun Broker once for like $10,000.

starsnuffer
12-13-2011, 6:24 PM
French soldiers are crazy. I remember when we were scouting out SCUD sites for days trying to find the best way to place beacons for the bombers (smart bombs my ***) in Iraq prior to Persian Gulf war, the French would come screaming up in their little dune buggies, rattle off some rounds at the Iraqi's and then race off when they received return fire. Really screwed up our missions but you gotta hand it to a bunch of cheese eaters screaming around behind enemy lines in a really badly designed VW.

-W

10mm
12-13-2011, 6:49 PM
Are you really that bored in France? or are you just showing off? I would have found that info on the net within 5 minutes or less. Some people:what:

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 7:11 PM
Ive always thought the Famas is a really cool looking rifle..

Are you really that bored in France? or are you just showing off?

I was bored when I was there. Spain and Italy... different story :43:

bigbob76
12-13-2011, 7:17 PM

Hey CSA, don't be so hard on them. They won a war once, the French Revolution. Wait, they were fighting the French. Nevermind.

Fiiyablade
12-13-2011, 7:36 PM
if you play call of duty then you would know lol

QuarterBoreGunner
12-13-2011, 7:48 PM
There are a few F1 FAMAS rifles in the US as semi-autos. They came in during the late 1980's before the ban. If you can find one, they command EXTREMELY high prices these days, over $10k easily. I saw one in Gun Broker in 2010 that was going for $10k anyway. Century Arms imported them I believe and they weren't very popular, less than 200 hit our shores.

Bingo! Only $899 Includes Rifle complete with Spare Parts Kit and Magazine!

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k119827_FAMAS%20MAS.223CenturyArmsAd1988.jpg

Cali-Shooter
12-13-2011, 8:00 PM

And I hear it's got an extremely sensitive trigger as well. It's manufactured for delicate fingers I guess, LOL.

In all seriousness though, I would like a Famas rifle, even semi-auto and PRK neutered.

w55
12-13-2011, 8:06 PM
Hey CSA, don't be so hard on them. They won a war once, the French Revolution. Wait, they were fighting the French. Nevermind.

Historicaly the French pretty much kicked *** throught its history.

I doubt the USA would exist without the MASSIVE aid we got from the French at the time.....just saying

Arisaka
12-13-2011, 8:25 PM
Badass rifle imo. Isn't there some issue with France not selling their rifles? I thought that they won't export them, they destroy or keep them instead. I'd love to buy a FAMAS parts kit.

SIGSHOOTR
12-13-2011, 8:33 PM

:facepalm: As someone who spent time with French forces in the box, I would disagree with this misinformed, ignorant stereotype. Those guys are out there in the suck fighting and dying alongside us. I'd like to see you do better. OP-- as others have pointed out, French forces standard issue is the FAMAS- Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de St-Etienne.

Never did like the bullpup design. The Brits had a helluva time getting the kinks worked out of their SA80-- until H&K did a retrofit on them (which irked the Brits even more that "Jerry" had to fix their guns...LOL). Having said that, they are pretty accurate and a great shooting gun-- when they work.

Cato
12-13-2011, 8:45 PM

I doubt the USA would exist without the MASSIVE aid we got from the French at the time.....just saying

When and where did they kick ***?

France stinks too. Literally, their sewers are ancient so it makes the place smell like sewage.

On the bright side, they do have a beautiful language and are excellent mathematicians. Folks think Asians are good at math, but the Frenchies have won more than their share of Fields Medals.

Pvt.Joker
12-13-2011, 9:50 PM
In all fairness to the French, basing your opinion of the entire country of France based on ONE large city would be like a Frenchman visiting downtown Detroit on vacation and going back to tell all his friends that "America looks worse than Berlin in 1946, and is more dangerous than Berlin in 1945!" :rolleyes: As I understand it, once you get out into the countryside, the French are usually a lot friendlier and the country itself is really pretty in parts of it.

As to the FAMAS rifle; never held nor shot one, so I honestly couldn't say either way. The ONE French rifle I ever owned was one of those MAS .308 semi-auto monstrosities that the Angry Beavers at Century "converted" (into scrap metal). I sure was NOT impressed, but I hear that was more to do with the botched "conversion" more than the original rifle.

Standard
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM

France stinks too. Literally, their sewers are ancient so it makes the place smell like sewage.

On the bright side, they do have a beautiful language and are excellent mathematicians. Folks think Asians are good at math, but the Frenchies have won more than their share of Fields Medals.

Never heard of Napoleon eh?
They also won WWI, losing basically an entire generation of men holding the line in the meat grinder against the Germans, which explains why they weren't too quick to jump into WWII, which seems to be all that people know about them. Since then, they de-colonized, like everyone else for the most part.

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 11:13 PM

and the same could be said post WWII to them from us

pacifico23
12-13-2011, 11:21 PM
They also won WWI, losing basically an entire generation of men holding the line in the meat grinder against the Germans, which explains why they weren't too quick to jump into WWII, which seems to be all that people know about them. Since then, they de-colonized, like everyone else for the most part.

Napaloen was the only reason of Frances Success. And World War 1 they would of lost without the help of the English and U.S., and Germany by causing the uprising back in Russia.

The French have Built Maginot Line. Have the quickes defeat by a major land army by the Germans in World War 2, and couldn't even keep it's colonies in order. And they eat snails. Nuff' Said.

Dhena81
12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
I'd rather have a G36 or some real AK's if were talking about surplus semi auto imports.

Gromit
12-14-2011, 12:00 AM
FAMAS

The famas is made by the french and fits that description. I highly doubt it's an aug.

Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne

affectionately called, le Clairon ("the Bugle")

Guessing Famas, although I read at the firearm blog that they're considering dumping the famas for another platform. As for the Aug you'll see those in Austria or Germany

That's a dead giveaway. FAMAS.

Or maybe more like this?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5050760211_3a24bd8de5.jpg
Have some respect for those that are fighting and dying alongside our own.

Ive always thought the Famas is a really cool looking rifle..

:facepalm: As someone who spent time with French forces in the box, I would disagree with this misinformed, ignorant stereotype. Those guys are out there in the suck fighting and dying alongside us. I'd like to see you do better. OP-- as others have pointed out, French forces standard issue is the FAMAS- Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de St-Etienne.

You definitely saw an SA-80. No question, no doubt. 100% sure.

negolien
12-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Bah I' am way behind on this thread :<(.... Just got home from work sorry for reporting the joke :p You must be talking about the MAS 1936's that were never fired and only dropped once....

As a PS

Just because there are some ribbings going on ...on both sides.. French haven't always been shy about they're dislike for some things American.... It doesn't mean we don't care for Nato Soldiers... They tease each other too or have ya forgoten the merciless practical jokes, assualts, butt muggings :rolleyes: in general......:<) Lighten up bud soldiers all bleed the same color :80:

m03
12-14-2011, 1:19 AM
The FAMAS is an ugly, sexy beast. If they were available with the F1 trigger guard for under $2k here, I would own one already.

Personally, I can't say anything bad about the French. We would have had a lot more trouble existing as a nation without them.

Standard
12-14-2011, 5:51 AM
Napaloen was the only reason of Frances Success. And World War 1 they would of lost without the help of the English and U.S., and Germany by causing the uprising back in Russia.

The French have Built Maginot Line. Have the quickes defeat by a major land army by the Germans in World War 2, and couldn't even keep it's colonies in order. And they eat snails. Nuff' Said.

Everyone decolonized in the 20th century. Just the way it happened. Germany, Spain, Britain, Holland, France. I guess this makes them failures too.
Like I said, France has been, for most of modern history, competing with Britain for world European/World dominance. Sounds like they've been doing OK.
Comparing them to the USA would just be stupid, as they are a nation of 60 million surrounded by other powerful nations with historically ambitious goals.
We, on the other hand, are a nation of 300 million basically on a big island, which never puts us on the defensive. Just facts of geography. Instead try comparing their military history to Germany, Italy, etc.
Most nations on earth would love to have France's military "problems"

blockfort
12-14-2011, 5:55 AM
Thanks guys, question answered.

pacifico23
12-14-2011, 7:15 AM
Everyone decolonized in the 20th century. Just the way it happened. Germany, Spain, Britain, Holland, France. I guess this makes them failures too.
Like I said, France has been, for most of modern history, competing with Britain for world European/World dominance. Sounds like they've been doing OK.
Comparing them to the USA would just be stupid, as they are a nation of 60 million surrounded by other powerful nations with historically ambitious goals.
We, on the other hand, are a nation of 300 million basically on a big island, which never puts us on the defensive. Just facts of geography. Instead try comparing their military history to Germany, Italy, etc.
Most nations on earth would love to have France's military "problems"

France, had the most trouble with their colonies as a whole. hHence the creation of the foreign Legion, the only army that's made up of prisoners and foreigners; it was partly to be able to help France stabilize it's colonies. I never compared them to the US. France did keep up with UK as far as the growth of it's Nation post French Revolution. Doesn't Negate the fact they are one of the worst Armies to field battle from a Major country in the past 150 years. Besides the 30 years war, there hasn't been a definite sole France victory. I mean I guess they technically won 100 years war. But personally I dont think anyone won that.

France is overrated. ESPECIALLY in the past 150 years, post Napoleonic Wars.

akjunkie
12-14-2011, 7:32 AM
You definitely saw an SA-80. No question, no doubt. 100% sure.

100% Not Sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80

This look like a 10 inch carrying handle to U???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_Cadet_Fires_the_L98_GP_Rifle.jpg

Standard
12-14-2011, 7:58 AM
France, had the most trouble with their colonies as a whole. hHence the creation of the foreign Legion, the only army that's made up of prisoners and foreigners; it was partly to be able to help France stabilize it's colonies. I never compared them to the US. France did keep up with UK as far as the growth of it's Nation post French Revolution. Doesn't Negate the fact they are one of the worst Armies to field battle from a Major country in the past 150 years. Besides the 30 years war, there hasn't been a definite sole France victory. I mean I guess they technically won 100 years war. But personally I dont think anyone won that.

France is overrated. ESPECIALLY in the past 150 years, post Napoleonic Wars.

I would argue that France is UNDERrated, being that most people blast them for surrendering in WWII, and don't realize that they are one of the few world powers left, and are very strong militarily compared to the rest of the world, save the US. France would not be where it is today if it was as weak as everyone supposes (and, of course without American help in the two world wars).

Black Majik
12-14-2011, 8:18 AM
100% Not Sure.

100% sarcasm from Gromit. ;)

i<3HK
12-14-2011, 9:07 AM
I hear the French are good chefs. And their restaurants/bistros & coffeshops are second to none. That's about all I care about with regards to France.:rolleyes::p

:rofl:

NHP1127
12-14-2011, 4:35 PM
Even the French Soccer team went on strike during the last World Cup. All things French implode. LOL

supersonic
12-14-2011, 5:40 PM
French soldiers are crazy. I remember when we were scouting out SCUD sites for days trying to find the best way to place beacons for the bombers (smart bombs my ***) in Iraq prior to Persian Gulf war, the French would come screaming up in their little dune buggies, rattle off some rounds at the Iraqi's and then race off when they received return fire. Really screwed up our missions but you gotta hand it to a bunch of cheese eaters screaming around behind enemy lines in a really badly designed VW.

-W

LMMFAO!!! :rofl2::rofl2: That freakin' made my day!:p

Cato
12-14-2011, 7:26 PM

Napoleon was French? I thought he was Corsican. Thanks for enlightening us.

As for French conduct in WWI, disertion and mutinies were rapant. There was even a case where 30,000 troops just up and went home. The British were more responsible for holding the Germans at bay than anyone else.

Go Navy
12-14-2011, 7:58 PM
None other than Gen. George Patton is reported to have said (might not be an exact quote): "I'd rather have the German Army in front of me than the French Army behind me."

Let's not forget: while the French Resistance was absolutely a bunch of outstanding heroes, the WWII French Government collaborated with the Germans, thus complicating our job of liberating their wretched souls; and all that started in North Africa.

I also remember all the American liberals running around during the G.W. Bush administration worrying about whether or not the French still liked us (they didn't, so Pres. Bush was blamed). France is basically irrelevant to U.S foreign policy, at best. At times they are actually an obstacle. France is also a prime example of a failed Socialist state.

Sorry, I am causing this thread to drift off topic. No, I don't want a French firearm, period, at any price, nada, squat, zilch, zip, diddly. German, Swiss, Belgian, British, Italian? A definite maybe.

Drivedabizness
12-14-2011, 8:02 PM

This

Gromit
12-14-2011, 8:05 PM
100% Not Sure.

100% sarcasm from Gromit. ;)

Thanks for the assist, Black Majik! :D Was about to type something else sarcastic in response, but glad to abort that!

shortround1
12-14-2011, 10:37 PM

I'm glad one person said it. I wonder how many French soldiers died so our country could be born.

smog7
12-14-2011, 11:12 PM

you're an idiot:cool:

smog7
12-14-2011, 11:15 PM
why dontcha just go up and ask them. they would just surrender and hand all the guns over to you, thats the easy way with the french. flippin fig eaters

you're an idiot too.

smog7
12-14-2011, 11:15 PM

3 idiots

smog7
12-14-2011, 11:19 PM

4 idiots

thedudeabides
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
someone here is french.. just putting that out there

smog7
12-14-2011, 11:24 PM

who is Frances?

loosewreck
12-14-2011, 11:33 PM

+1
Too many Americans forget this.

MrPlink
12-15-2011, 12:04 AM
4 idiots

and you are on your way to being banned for lacking a sense of humor and being a ...

Standard
12-15-2011, 6:14 AM
Napoleon was French? I thought he was Corsican. Thanks for enlightening us.

As for French conduct in WWI, disertion and mutinies were rapant. There was even a case where 30,000 troops just up and went home. The British were more responsible for holding the Germans at bay than anyone else.

Yes, Corsica is part of France. So....yeah. And which country was it that ruled over all of Europe? France.

problemchild
12-15-2011, 6:19 AM

They sure helped us win the war here didnt they? The french fought with us against Britain.

During the American Revolutionary War the French Navy played a decisive role in supporting the American side. In a very impressive effort, the French under de Grasse managed to defeat a British fleet at the Battle of the Chesapeake in 1781, thus ensuring that the Franco-American ground forces would win the ongoing Battle of Yorktown. French warships participated in the battle by bombarding British ground forces.

pacifico23
12-15-2011, 7:16 AM
Im sorry but the French involvement in the American Revolution is by far a sidenote when it comes to major engagements around the world in the past 250 years (Minus Napoleons reign). They may have some great elite units, but as a whole... Please. Maginot line; nuff said. Getting beat by Germany within one month. Nuff said. There is no reason any great country with a supposive "great land army" should be captured that quickly.

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 7:32 AM
Im sorry but the French involvement in the American Revolution is by far a sidenote when it comes to major engagements around the world in the past 250 years (Minus Napoleons reign). They may have some great elite units, but as a whole... Please. Maginot line; nuff said. Getting beat by Germany within one month. Nuff said. There is no reason any great country with a supposive "great land army" should be captured that quickly.

Eh, it's a tactical mistake. They didn't keep up with the times. Sort of like thinking overwhelming air power, billions of dollars and technically advanced ground forces can win a war against zealot goat herders. It's just a case of a failed strategy from the getgo, but one that seemed politically sound at the time. See any correlations?

-W

duggan
12-15-2011, 7:43 AM
Lulz for the ones without a sense of humor, at first I was joking about the surrender flag, a little ribbing from an ex-grunt. For those that got offended I'm sorry..............sorry that you lack a sense of humor and or your big boy britches. You can take that white flag and the stick it's on and cram it, maybe it'll help ya get over that butthurt feeling you've got.

pacifico23
12-15-2011, 8:21 AM
Eh, it's a tactical mistake. They didn't keep up with the times. Sort of like thinking overwhelming air power, billions of dollars and technically advanced ground forces can win a war against zealot goat herders. It's just a case of a failed strategy from the getgo, but one that seemed politically sound at the time. See any correlations?

-W
A tactical mistake is losing a battle. The greatest military blunder in history is losing one of the biggest and powerful nations in the world within 1 month. Especially since the knew and saw the arms build ups since the mid 30's, and was preparing for it. I mean one of there most elite units was/is made up of prisoners and foreigners for gods sake.

And, no correlation at all, if your talking about the eastern front. There is absolutely no correlation to the eastern front to the western front. The western front, was "War Games with live ammunition". The eastern front was a war of annihilation. There is no war, military conflict anything in history that can compare to the Eastern Front.

And if your talking about Afghanistan, also absolutely no correlation either. There is nothing to capture in Afghanistan, its more a police effort. Making the biggest blunders in military history, don't compare to failing to police a sparce population over vast rugged terrain with very little natural resources. .

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 8:35 AM
I disagree.

The Maginot line cost 7billion Francs to construct by 1939. That's 5.9 billion in today's US dollar. The war in Afganistan has thus far cost$1.29 trillion US dollars, and we don't have cool mushroom shaped bunkers to show for it.

I guess you can say that we're much better at wasting taxpayer dollars then the French are.

-W

pacifico23
12-15-2011, 8:43 AM
If your talking about amoung of dollars of dollars than sure. But when you look at kill ratios, battles, and engagements won in Afghanistan we were very efficient. We spent the extra money to ensure less troops were in danger. Personally I dont think thats a waste of money. Our vested dollars actually made a difference. Where as the maginot and build up of the eastern front, the appeasement, and all the counter intelligence post war was all for nothing...

starsnuffer
12-15-2011, 8:48 AM
Again I disagree. Our presence "winning" battles in Afganistan has just created more zealots and "terrorists". The French loosing so easily actually caused the war to end sooner, if most historians are to be believed. If the French had successfully defended against the Nazi's it's likely that the war would have lingered much longer, the Nazi tech would have had more time to develop, and in the end Germany would have been a much more deadly and decisive foe. We could be living in a much different world.

Its a hypothetical argument though. Just don't assume that one country is better then another due to the decisions that some old men made a long time ago or are making now.

Governments, borders, and people come and go, there are plenty of each to go around.

-W

MrPlink
12-15-2011, 9:42 AM
I disagree.

The Maginot line cost 7billion Francs to construct by 1939. That's 5.9 billion in today's US dollar. The war in Afganistan has thus far cost$1.29 trillion US dollars, and we don't have cool mushroom shaped bunkers to show for it.

I guess you can say that we're much better at wasting taxpayer dollars then the French are.

-W

not even remotely a fair comparison.

The Maginot line was built as a response to WWI the other is an actual war.

How can you compare a the cost of a single installation to the entire cost of a war?

Its a hypothetical argument though.

Very hypothetical, it presumes the Russian part of the equation does not exist.

Standard
12-15-2011, 2:32 PM
I don't think anyone would argue that the French didn't F up pretty bad in WWII. What I take issue with is the constant "ALL THE FRENCH DO IS SURRENDER HERP DERP" BS that people spew because that's the only part of history they bothered to pay attention to. They are a very old nation with a pretty darn good history, militarily and otherwise.

smog7
12-15-2011, 4:40 PM
I don't think anyone would argue that the French didn't F up pretty bad in WWII. What I take issue with is the constant "ALL THE FRENCH DO IS SURRENDER HERP DERP" BS that people spew because that's the only part of history they bothered to pay attention to. They are a very old nation with a pretty darn good history, militarily and otherwise.

you deserve a quote

beretta929mm
12-15-2011, 5:35 PM
I doubt the French would use something made outside of France, except for elite units. With that being said, I have no doubt what you saw were indeed the Famas. One unique rifile that shoots M193 ammo, and has a separate 3 round burst switch, and a high rate of fire, oh, yes it is a delayed blow back action.

Crunch130
12-15-2011, 8:43 PM
I think both of those rifles look like something the Orkin man uses to spray for bugs!

The last GOOD-looking French battle rifle was the Berthier 1907/15. Well, maybe the MAS 49.

Crunch

smle-man
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhqTpF96p9k&NR=1&feature=fvwp

More FAMAS in action pictures.

smle-man
12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I doubt the French would use something made outside of France, except for elite units. With that being said, I have no doubt what you saw were indeed the Famas. One unique rifile that shoots M193 ammo, and has a separate 3 round burst switch, and a high rate of fire, oh, yes it is a delayed blow back action.

They used the SIG 540 until the FAMAS was ready for issue but that was in the past. They've also used the Ruger AC 556.

rojocorsa
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/attachments/f6/19928d1112124719-european-women-vs-american-women-euro_vs_america.jpg

Just sayin'!

:hide:

*I'm going under the assumption that the Euro chick is French due to the picture of the wine basket. Either way, just replace the EU flag with the tri-color and the point still stands.

Another thing the French deserve credit for is the fact that their government forms and all that stuff are in French. Not like us, where we have to have one for like 8 different languages.

zfields
12-15-2011, 11:16 PM
They used the SIG 540 until the FAMAS was ready for issue but that was in the past. They've also used the Ruger AC 556.

Didnt they buy the rights to produce it in france though before they adopted it?