PDA

View Full Version : fitting saiga hand guard on standard AK?

soopafly
12-12-2011, 10:55 PM
On one of my rifles, I want to convert the standard AK hand guard to a saiga style hand guard. The reason being I would like to have more real estate for my support hand to hold the front end of the rifle.

Has anyone done this, or can point me in the right direction on how to do this? I've searched the web and couldn't find much.

CptDan
12-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Yep, the rear pin on the gas block has to be removed and a longer pin about 7/8 of an inch has to replace it. You will have to remove the cleaning rod loop also. There is a 5mm hole drilled in the front portion of the rcvr to allow the screw to secure the hand guard.

SJgunguy24
12-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Yep, the rear pin on the gas block has to be removed and a longer pin about 7/8 of an inch has to replace it. You will have to remove the cleaning rod loop also. There is a 5mm hole drilled in the front portion of the rcvr to allow the screw to secure the hand guard.

Don't forget you'll need to remove the lower handguard retainer and swap out the gas tube with one that doesn't have the ferrels to keep the upper handguard in place.

zfields
12-13-2011, 5:09 AM
Check out the Midwest industries extended rail. You have to take off the sling loop on the retainer, but it extends out to the gas block.

The stock saiga, and tapco replacement handguards are a bit wiggly due to how they mount on that pin.

If you plan on wanting to go the standard saiga handguard route, Ill trade you my saiga gas tube for your standard one : )

soopafly
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
I didn't know about the MI extended hand guard. I think I'll be getting that instead.

Thanks all!