PDA

View Full Version : AK 47 Ammo

Raptor3000
12-12-2011, 9:22 PM
Hi Guys,

Can you guys recommend cheap AK47 Ammo (7.62X39), cannot shoot steel so cheap russian stuff is out, has to be brass. So far found only Fiocchi the cheapest brass ($9.78/20 rds).

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

repubconserv
12-12-2011, 9:28 PM
Sgammo (http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/400-rd-762x39-yugo-military-surplus-sks-stripper-clips-packed-usgi-30-cal-ammo-can) has good deals.

The stuff I linked to meets your initial requirements and is about $5 for 20rds. It is corrosive though

RobGR
12-12-2011, 9:28 PM
I'm in the same boat as you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=501805

Corrosive, but just clean accordingly and immediately after shooting.

aimsurplus is another great ammo source but their shipping is a shocker. Also check out the marketplace on calguns, every once in a while someone will sell their 7.62x39 brass, but it goes quickly.

RobGR
12-12-2011, 9:32 PM
Looks like Ammoman just bumped the price up for a crate by $10.

Raptor3000
12-12-2011, 9:44 PM
forgot to mention, non corrosive is preferred:-)

May be i am asking for too much:D

thanks

repubconserv
12-12-2011, 9:51 PM
forgot to mention, non corrosive is preferred:-)

May be i am asking for too much:D

thanks

You certainly are asking for a lot with that... unless you reload. If The Fiocchi meets your standards I'd say go for it.

QQQ
12-12-2011, 9:57 PM
Non-corrosive, non-steel is going to be expensive compared to corrosive and steel ammo.
But if you clean your guns well after each use, corrosive ammo is definitely a good way to go.

aermotor
12-12-2011, 9:57 PM
Yugo Surplus is by far the best you can get for the price and non-magnetic and not that corrosive. I just ordered a case from Ammoman but Copes Distributing has them as well.

Mail Clerk
12-13-2011, 6:06 AM
Hi Guys,

Can you guys recommend cheap AK47 Ammo (7.62X39), cannot shoot steel so cheap russian stuff is out, has to be brass. So far found only Fiocchi the cheapest brass ($9.78/20 rds).

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Raptor3000,

Allot of us guys/gals are in the same boat! The range I go to has a cow everytime they see an AK and they walk over to your table and rifle through your range bag without permission. STEEL core ammo is not allowed. I got so tired of hearing this I started going to Bass Pro and pick up a 5 box/20 rounds of Remington "Yellow" box. I personally haven't seen any Fiocchi for a good long time and I know that brand is excellent brass cased and non-steel cored ammo. But yes we all pay the price.

The issue I have is that there's not allot of places now a days and the ranges can make their own rules.:oji:

Mail Clerk

M1A_KICHI
12-13-2011, 6:19 AM
If money is no option then go with fiocchi but IMO I would say Yugo is best. Cleaning your rifle when using corrosive ammo is not that big of a deal as some who have not shot it think.

ns3v3n
12-13-2011, 2:51 PM
If money is no option then go with fiocchi but IMO I would say Yugo is best. Cleaning your rifle when using corrosive ammo is not that big of a deal as some who have not shot it think.

I remember last time I shot my saiga in the rain and had to come back and detail clean the rifle, it was such a pain in the ***. This is the reason why I dont use corrosive ammo, because people recommend coming back after the range trip and just pour hot soapy water on it. If i had to do that every single freaking time, i would probably not shoot the damn thing. LOL. Lucky for me, in norcal, they allow steel ammo so I enjoy the Russian stuff. OP, if you dont mind cleaning out your gun and gas tube and drying it everytime to shoot, it would be cheaper (alot cheaper) to go with yugo surplus.

DavidRSA
12-13-2011, 2:54 PM
Sgammo (http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/400-rd-762x39-yugo-military-surplus-sks-stripper-clips-packed-usgi-30-cal-ammo-can) has good deals.

The stuff I linked to meets your initial requirements and is about $5 for 20rds. It is corrosive though

Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought myself some....

SJgunguy24
12-13-2011, 4:59 PM
Raptor3000,

Allot of us guys/gals are in the same boat! The range I go to has a cow everytime they see an AK and they walk over to your table and rifle through your range bag without permission. STEEL core ammo is not allowed. I got so tired of hearing this I started going to Bass Pro and pick up a 5 box/20 rounds of Remington "Yellow" box. I personally haven't seen any Fiocchi for a good long time and I know that brand is excellent brass cased and non-steel cored ammo. But yes we all pay the price.

The issue I have is that there's not allot of places now a days and the ranges can make their own rules.:oji:

Mail Clerk

I'd tell them to GTFO my s**t, none of that ammo is steel core, the jacket has steel in it but the bullet itself is lead core. The chinese stuff was steel core thats why you don't see it anymore.

Richard Erichsen
12-13-2011, 5:35 PM
Hi Guys,

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Yugo surplus (M67) is the ideal for ranges with rules against steel projectiles. Yes, it's "corrosive" but that's more psychological than anything else. Millions of AKs have been firing this stuff for decades and they still manage to go through many owners and several conflicts before being scrapped. A little water and a bore brush or boresnake and you won't notice the difference, the cleaning time just isn't that much greater (how long does it take you to run a garden hose through it or a few cups of hot water through barrel and gas tube?).

For more modern production you can get Sellier and Bellot (S&B) which is Czech, Prvi Partizan (PPU) which is Serbian, Fiocchi which is made in the US with Italian components, Winchester and Remington which are of course domestic. All of the 7.62x39 mm ammo from these manufacturers are M67 clones (copper jacket, flat base, 123 grain). The Fiocchi is probably marginally better than the Winchester and Remington but it's also more expensive. The Czech and Prvi Partizan are generally cheaper than the Fiocchi and at least as good. I eyed a box of Lapua ammo that fits the description but it's also close to $60 per 20. I have doubts it's substantially better and like the others, it's basically just an M67 clone, though there are also soft point rounds in the 123 grain weight that make decent hunting rounds. For a bit more $ than Fiocchi the Hornady Vmax and SST are my top pick. The accuracy is very good and due to the bullet design are prone to fragment readily within a few inches of penetration if I ever need to fire rounds at anything other than paper.

Good luck and happy shooting,

R

Tier One Arms
12-13-2011, 6:06 PM
Check out Wal-Mart they sell brass case 7.62x39 by Winchester.

Mail Clerk
12-13-2011, 7:10 PM
I'd tell them to GTFO my s**t, none of that ammo is steel core, the jacket has steel in it but the bullet itself is lead core. The chinese stuff was steel core thats why you don't see it anymore.

SJgunguy,

Believe me I felt like doing it the last time I was there! However I don't want to cause any trouble cuz like I have said before on past postings that shooting ranges in California are eroding away and unless you want to drive two hours into the desert then go ahead. I want to just shoot from the bench and shoot slowly and as accurately as possible. It's just because I like to shoot AW's that gives allot people the willies. Just look in the past.... San Gabriel Valley Shooting Club was closed by the greedy city council and within the last 5 years the Inland Fish and Game Range has been in court fighting to stay open cuz of greedy developers. All I ask is Angeles to give any consideration to the steel ammo issue. Heck they won't allow "Wolf" ammo???
I know Wolf has steel casings but lead core bullets (as far as I know) but they still say it's steel cored. Go figure!!!! You can't argue with the establishment.

Mail Clerk

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 7:19 PM
You can't argue with the establishment.

Mail Clerk

cut one in half and show them,

but yeah I wouldnt tolerate any rando trying to shuffle through my bags. Might as well try to break into my car while Im watching you. If the alternative includes a 2 hour drive, so be it.

While I understand you wanting a shooting facility, do not forget that ultimately YOU are the patron.

"I'm not here for your amusement, you are here for mine." -John Lydon

SurfRider19
12-13-2011, 7:19 PM
I bought some Fiocchi from I forget where for about 9.50/20 rounds a few months ago. This last weekend it shot pretty well with no problems. It was the cheapest brass cased 7.62 I have been able to find. That or Sellier and Bellot sometimes is pretty inexpensive too (about the same price though).